Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Question on the weighting for type sets?

If only the slot is weighted why bother? Once everyone has a completed set everyone will get the same weighting points. You might as well not weight the type sets.
Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• Options
    A MS-67 Barber half counts 8 times as much as a MS-67 clad Roosevelt.

Allows for the more expensive coins to benefit a set more than the cheaper moderns. Even at 100%, will make an impact.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Maybe I am misunderstanding how this weighting works? So are you saying a MS65 coin in a slot gets its value multied by 8 and then a MS67 coin in the same slot gets it's value multiplied by 8?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Bill,
    A quick example should suffice. If you had a 2 coin set with the Roosie weighted 1, and the barber half weighted 7...

Roosie MS67 x 1 = 67
    Barber MS65 x 7 = 455
    Total 67 + 455 = 522
    Weighted Average 522/8=65.25

Roosie MS65 x 1 = 65
    Barber MS67 x 7 = 469
    Total 67 + 455 = 534
    Weighted Average 534/8=66.75

Unweighted, these sets would both be 66.00, so you are rewarded for having the higher weighted coin in higher grade.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Ok now I understands. Thanks. I am up way too late tonight. I never should have asked this question as I am getting loopy. Good night all.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    The way the type sets is very unfair to the owners of rarer coins that they may use for the type set. For instance, if you have two type sets. Set #1 has 1873 gold dollar in AU55 and a 1884-O Morgan Dollar in MS65. The other set has an 1855-D gold dollar in AU55 and an 1878-CC Morgan Dollar in MS65. Guess which set will be rated higher? Both sets will be the same according to the present system. The weighting means nothing unless there is a relative weighting for the coins of the same type, gold dollars for example. The 55-D gold dollar should be weighted at the highest rating, while the 73 is one of the most common of the gold dollars. Same with the two silver dollars, the Carson City coin is much rarer than the New Orleans issue, but will be weighted the same. The system needs one more factor for type sets to take into acount the rarity of coins for each type coin.
  • Options
    Mr Commem,

Most Type set collectors agree that you go for the coins with the highest possible grade, and do not focus on the rarity involved. Both the PCGS and NGC systems agree on this. So a 1916 and 1917 SLQ Type 1 in 66FH get the same score, even though the 1916 gets more in a series situation.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    -But, place that same 1916 Standing Liberty in a Standing Liberty set and watch it rock over most others! -As it should.

peacockcoins