Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone else ever stop and think about the people posting on the forums?

DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
I mean from a perspective of how important they are to the hobby of coin collecting. There are several members today that are writing books that will be utilized and necessary tomorrow. In addition to the wealth of knowledge being spread here there's much being documented that will benefit the hobby for years to come.

Not only that but there's members here who have assembled sets of coins or are assembling sets of coins that will be the future giant sales in the entire hobby.

I, for one, am thankful that people like(In no particular order): TDN, CaptHenway, Pistareen, Cardinal, Coinguy, oreville, Lakesamman, tmot, Longacre, RYK, Sunnywood, Cladking, MrEureka, Fred Weinberg, Julian, RWB, EagleEye and many others stick around the forums to share their knowledge and excellent collections.

Years back, much of this contact would've been very difficult to maintain and we are all very fortunate that people stick around here for everyone's benefit. I can't even imagine how difficult it would've been for me to get a foot in the door collecting without having these forums readily available when I was seventeen years old. Hell, even after I had a foot in the door I don't know of a way I would've been able to bond/associate with people in the hobby to facilitate better coin show experiences as I have. When I registered for the forums I met two people that greatly impacted my experience in the hobby, TUMUSS and JrGMaN2004. These people, while I don't really talk to them anymore for whatever reason; played integral roles in getting me to delve further into numismatics. Both members met with me in person and helped get me to a show when I didn't drive. TUMUSS and JrGMan were quick to point out warning signs on some old gold I had and on other coins in addition to offering general help on how to get started in the hobby. I owe an additional thanks to kryptonitecomics for being at breakfast that day and showing off toners and offering help about how to detect AT/NT toning. I'd say the hospitality shown by the three of them was arguably as important as the coins themselves.

Reading TDN's recent thread about acquisitions of halves and then checking previous PMs between him and I just made me think that sometimes I take it for granted who I'm brushing elbows with and regret that sometimes I don't try harder to make better connections or take more time to delve into the wealth of knowledge available to me about this hobby.

Anyone else feel similarly sometimes or have a specific person in mind they particularly value on the forums and appreciate their presence?

So I suppose, in short, thanks PCGS for the forums and thanks guys for sticking around and being so helpful/welcoming. I think a lot of people sometimes forget we were all new at one point and without someone welcoming you to the hobby you may have shut the door as quickly as you opened it. I sort of just came back to the hobby and I feel like years after I started I'm more apt to appreciate the people and everything about it.

-D

Edit: I tried using most peoples forum IDs because I figured they were easier to recognize/spell than "Tom Delorey, Andy Lustig, John Kraljevich, Mark Feld, etc."
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace

Comments

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heritage Auctions presents the Colorado Anacs Photo Certificate Complete U.S. type set..............Hey I can dream can't I?
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Heritage Auctions presents the Colorado Anacs Photo Certificate Complete U.S. type set..............Hey I can dream can't I? >>

Oh yeah, 40 years from now I can already see mine...

"The Catloaf Scatterbrained Everything Collection of PCGS Certified Stuff".

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't hang out here so much if I didn't think about the people posting. imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    When I was a kid, (old enough to drive), I joined 3 coin clubs in 3 towns within a half hour drive from home.
    All 3 were basically interested in learning about aspects of coins they didn't collect including myself.
    Our meetings became forums for face to face discussion about coins you could see in front of you.
    That was long ago in the late 40's and into the 50's.
    I looked forward to each one because I knew there would be someone designated to give a little talk about
    something unfamiliar to me. And afterwards, we would show off our collections and do some trading.

It doesn't seem to work like that now. More business and less learning and discussion.

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They simply love our hobby.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They simply love our hobby. >>

Exactly!imageimage
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    We are very fortunate to be able to virtually rub elbows with our collecting brethren. Thanks to PCGS for giving us such a forum.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Im working on a book that noone will probably use due to lack of interest. But after seeing so many people have so much to give that I feel its my duty to put something out there that maybe someone can use. People on these boards are great both on coin and currency sides. I kinda day dream what others are working on while posting on here. ( if watching tv if so what , what coins they are working on, are they 2x2 coins, putting coins in toubes , sorting boxes of coins, reading sites or flyers about coins or maybe on a separate topic outside of coins
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I, for one, am thankful that people like(In no particular order): TDN, CaptHenway, Pistareen, Cardinal, Coinguy, oreville, Lakesamman, tmot, Longacre, RYK, Sunnywood, Cladking, MrEureka, Fred Weinberg, Julian, RWB, EagleEye and many others stick around the forums to share their knowledge and excellent collections. >>

I too think it's great that these fellows have the opportunity to rub shoulders with guys like me (the type going through boxes of nickels from the local bank) to keep them connected with the heart of the hobby. Although I say that "tongue in cheek" I'd suspect it is true to an extent, that in the midst of 6 figure coin purchases it would be refreshing to share the excitement of a guy who finds a circulated 1950-D Jefferson nickel in a bank roll, and can get excited about it.

I participate in another forum and pick up different aspects of the hobby with the crowd I run with "over there"; but the crowd here at CU is truly extraordinary in the quality of the coins, and the vast array of the knowledge base.
  • Options
    I am often humbled by the people who have responded to my posts.
    The top experts in the field often right at your finger tips
    makes this site tops in my book.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I notice MY name wasn't on the list image

But seriously, I agree. There are some great people that hang around this place. If there wasn't I wouldn't be here long. This has got to be one of the most wholesome forums on the internet, and there is a lot to learn here.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is an amazing and wonderful thing. No doubt.....many of us lowly collectors would be intimidated by the luminaries who post here....face to face, Yet, sitting here behind the mighty fortress of the keyboard we can converse 'as equals'. Even King Don and Lord David show up...where else can you PM the head man?

Writers, famous in their own right....can share their special knowledge and answer our questions...and yes, absorb our barbs from time to time.

Having the ability to post large images of our treasures......priceless.

Yes, it is the Coin Club that we all would like to be a member of...and now we can be.

Love it.

I feel very sorry for the people who have misspoke, or crossed the invisible line...and been banned. I know one personally, and it was heartbreaking for him.
  • Options
    The PCGS US Coin Forum is akin to being able to talk with the likes of Barry Bonds, Emmitt Smith or Jordan. Hall of Fame Quality collectors and dealers with a wealth of information to share with the common guy.
    BST Transactions;
    Seller- thebigeng; morgansforever; bolivarshagnasty
    Buyer-nibanny; derryb; zubie; smittys; konsole; tootawl; socalbigmark; fullcameo; coinkid855
  • Options

<< <i>The PCGS US Coin Forum is akin to being able to talk with the likes of Barry Bonds, Emmitt Smith or Jordan. Hall of Fame Quality collectors and dealers with a wealth of information to share with the common guy. >>

And may it always be here for us!
    I do have other interests but coins were my first love, starting at age 7, and therefore sacred to my collecting alternatives.

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    These boards rock! Thanks PCGS and thanks to Don Willis for keeping them open to all. image
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file