Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Heres a different coin collectible

1998 P cent with die from the mint . Sold off I guess as a package by the mint in the late 90s. This is the first Ive ever seen. But the guy who sold this had a 98 Dime and Quarter die too in separate auctions. I dont know if this was worth any or not but heres the link for you guys to look at Too bad it was just a worn die and not a damaged cracked or something else cool.

1998P cent wtih Die.

I guess 177k from a die isnt bad
Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the mint continued to sell old dies with the design shaved off at least up until the Hawaii Quarter designs.

Here is one for Hawaii
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    since it says sold out what was the mint price on these back when they were available.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once the entire design is removed from a die, is it really still a die or is it just a piece of scrap metal?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I wonder what nic-a-date would do to the dies...

The scrap metal thing was just the reason why I was never interested.

The Hawaii one was $34.95 for it and a coin. They sold both P and D separately.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    I would think it would be in the mints greater interest to cut into the die a word COPY or cut parts out to do a waffle effect. That would be nice but was wondering cause I never see these on ebay ever and didnt know if they were special.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought they marketed it wrong. They should have had both the first strike (not to be confused with First Strike™) coin as well as the last strike from the die so that you could actually see how the die died, as it were, rather than just reading about it on the CoA.

Surely someone must have tried acid etching one of the dies to see if vestiges of the design remained. I know neither how much they ground off nor how much they'd need to grind off to make the acid treatment ineffective. I'd bet it's directly related to the hubbing pressure. This would be a good question for dcarr.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very familiar with these dies.

The price for the cent, nickel, and dime
    dies was $29.95, and State Quarter
    Dies were $34.95.

The Mint sold lots of 'em each year from
    2000 to the end of the States Quarter Program.

The dies do not have 'recoverable details' on
    most of them, as they were ground off with
    a heavy grinding wheel of some type.

The Mint started selling these in 2000 I believe,
    after I bought 20,000 defaced dies like these
    from the Denver Mint in 1996 - and I've sold
    about half of 'em.

As for Mint Dies with design on them - the only
    time they've done that was with the 1995/1996
    Olympic $1 Silver and $5 Gold dies that were
    simply "X"'d out on the die face, leaving the balance
    of full design to be seen. They were issued at
    $49.95 each, sold out within a few days, and have
    been trading for $650 to $1,200, depending on the
    number of specific design dies that were sold.

Hope this little bit of info helps....
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file