Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ebay $30,000 Morgan set for $1500, this will make your head spin.

So I was glancing at Ebay this morning and missed an interesting auction. 40 NGC Morgans valued at over 30K for $1500 bucks that sold. The MS63 1884-S is about a 25K coin alone. Here is the link:

30K in NGC Morgans for $1500

So do you think it is several typos in the dates, an uninformed seller, a stolen collection or fraud? Seller offers a return policy

This seller listed it once before without any mint-marks mentioned in a 3 day auction and it didn't sell:

Earlier 3 day auction that didn't sell

This seller has sold coins in the past, his pictures stink, what do you think?

Comments

• dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    My guess is that the 1884-S is a typo.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • I don't think anyone would sell over 30K for $1500. I don't buy it.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Well, whoever pulled the trigger did so within 20 minutes of the auction being listed.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

• << <i>My guess is that the 1884-S is a typo. >>

Wow, I think somebody inherited this set and has no clue. I do not think it is a typo. Look at 1883 S, 1884 S, 2 1885 S's, 2 1888 S's among others. I absolutely would have purchased it with his 7 day return policy. I wonder what else he has for sell??????
  • Many people who aren't familiar with the slabs misinterpret the S$1 "S" (as in Silver Dollar) as a designation of an "S" mintmark. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that is the situation with most/all of the supposed Keys in this set (1883-S, 1884-S, 1896-S, etc.)

• << <i>Many people who aren't familiar with the slabs misinterpret the S$1 "S" (as in Silver Dollar) as a designation of an "S" mintmark. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that is the situation with most/all of the supposed Keys in this set (1883-S, 1884-S, 1896-S, etc.) >>

I thought the same thing in the beginning, but they have dates listed with no mint mark at all which would mean they are not confused. That is why I do not think this is a mistake
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with C0inCollect0r on this one. There are only two coins listed without mint marks, and I think those are the exceptions. I think the buyer's going to be disappointed, but with 7-day return privilege and SNAD protection, there's not much to lose except postage.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the buyer asked for a close up shot of the slabs so he could read the labels.
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭
    I have no reason to suspect this particular sale, but the first thing that popped into my head was slabbed Chinese counterfeit set.

• << <i>I have no reason to suspect this particular sale, but the first thing that popped into my head was slabbed Chinese counterfeit set. >>

• The blow-up photo doesn't show them any better than the one in the listing!
    I wouldn't touch them. JMHO.

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.

• << <i>The blow-up photo doesn't show them any better than the one in the listing! I wouldn't touch them. JMHO. >>

imageimageimage
    Nevermind
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    At an average price of $37.50 each, whoever bought this lot still probably did OK.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

• << <i>So, is jmdm1194 the seller or the buyer? Or just a random troll? >>

LoL, sorry I was just playing with the emoticons

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I read his feedback and he has sold coins in the past, something does not add up here! image
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • I smell a scam here...image
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Assuming the buyer never asked a question....
    I can imagine the buyer thinking if he should ask first or pull the trigger before it gets bought.

It looks "too good to be true" unless there's a mistake or something.

Ed
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of the dates, as long as they are genuine Morgans that are accurately graded the buyer got a good deal overall. However... this just smells bad. No one's dumb enough to drop a group of 40 slabbed pieces on ebay without doing a little homework first....are they? Oh wait- never mind. Silly question. image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    Well there is for sure something wrong with this listing. It says 40 Morgans, and it appears 40 are pictured. But counting them out by dates, there are 41 listed in the description.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I messages the seller and sure enough the exact coins offered and listed sold. The new owner will be extremely pleased. (I did not in any form by inquiring jeopardize the sale.)

peacockcoins

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • I think the sale was legit, and the buyer is going ti be very, very pleased.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^Broadstruck, that's a funny poster and mostly true.
    Sometimes though it is the other way around.

peacockcoins

• << <i>I think the sale was legit, and the buyer is going ti be very, very pleased. >>

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the buyer gets some bad stuff, I think they would have a strong case as it wasnt listed correctly per the rules. Arent you supposed to list the serial numbers along with the obverse and reverse photos?
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, for coins that old. Modern is different.
    Lance.
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My guess is that the 1884-S is a typo. >>

Wow, I think somebody inherited this set and has no clue. I do not think it is a typo. Look at 1883 S, 1884 S, 2 1885 S's, 2 1888 S's among others. I absolutely would have purchased it with his 7 day return policy. I wonder what else he has for sell?????? >>

There is no Santa Claus in numismatics. No one, and I mean no one sells coins that way unless 1) Coin is stolen, 2) Counterfeit, 3) Hijacked Account

• << <i>

<< <i>

Wow, I think somebody inherited this set and has no clue. I do not think it is a typo. Look at 1883 S, 1884 S, 2 1885 S's, 2 1888 S's among others. I absolutely would have purchased it with his 7 day return policy. I wonder what else he has for sell?????? >>

There is no Santa Claus in numismatics. No one, and I mean no one sells coins that way unless 1) Coin is stolen, 2) Counterfeit, 3) Hijacked Account >>

I have a number of personal experiences that contradict what you're saying.
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

It seems the OP had an auction close yesterday with the same pics, unsold with no mention of any mintmarks.......image
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    The OP, Eric? Or the eBay guy?
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

There is no Santa Claus in numismatics. No one, and I mean no one sells coins that way unless 1) Coin is stolen, 2) Counterfeit, 3) Hijacked Account >>

I have a number of personal experiences that contradict what you're saying. >>

<< <i>There is no Santa Claus in numismatics. No one, and I mean no one sells coins that way unless 1) Coin is stolen, 2) Counterfeit, 3) Hijacked Account >>

I believe there is a 99% chance that something along those lines is going on with this auction. I guess we'll never find out though...
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I have a number of personal experiences that contradict what you're saying. >>

Please put my post in context for goodness sakes. I was speaking to somebody with 22 posts whose irrational exuberance has them in over their head. In 5 years he may know better too.
  • determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe there is a 99% chance that something along those lines is going on with this auction. I guess we'll never find out though... >>

If the winner leaves feedback he can then be contacted. And if so it would be interesting to find out the outcome.
    I collect history in the form of coins.

• << <i>It seems the OP had an auction close yesterday with the same pics, unsold with no mention of any mintmarks.......image >>

I have nothing to do with this auction except for missing it, and as Captain Obvious posted after thoroughly reading my initial post, I said:

"This seller listed it once before without any mint-marks mentioned in a 3 day auction and it didn't sell"
  • You could see no detail on any of the coins even the enlarged
    photos so red flags fly when you see that.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • "This seller listed it once before without any mint-marks mentioned in a 3 day auction and it didn't sell"

My bad.............I meant to refer to the sellerimage
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Things like this happen occasionally. Estate lawyers know the drill very well.

• << <i>I have a number of personal experiences that contradict what you're saying. >>

Me Too!!!!

• << <i>Please put my post in context for goodness sakes. I was speaking to somebody with 22 posts whose irrational exuberance has them in over their head. In 5 years he may know better too. >>

I find it Funny and yet ignorant that you want to associate my limited postings my new membership status with the PCGS forums with my experience level. I have been doing this for many years now. At any rate, I find many deals on eBay and Yes Santa Claus does exist. It appears that you are the one that needs to learn.

• << <i>My bad.............I meant to refer to the sellerimage >>

No Problem Sumorada, I just didn't want to be linked to any shenanigans. As a side note, I missed these literally by seconds as It was still available while I was browsing the dates. When I spotted the 1884-S about 20 seconds later, the auction ended. With a 7 day return policy, and paypal's SNAD for returns, you are protected.

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the seller got good feedback from the winner, who looks to be a coin dealer. It appears someone hit a home run.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the seller being from LYON, MS mean anything. And I ain't lyin. image

Until the new owner gets the 84-s re-checked for authenticity or sells it for it's listed CDN value, it's not booked. But it does seem odd that the seller was not trying to take advantage of the price of the 84-s. Even the most casual checks on line or a call to the local coin shop would indicate the true value of the coin. A 100-1 shot. And being a "coin dealer" doesn't mean you automatically can detect all fake 84-s and faked TPG holders. I'd imagine anyone who has completed the 5th grade would try to figure out what the NGC MS62/63 meant concerning the value of the coin entombed.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no reason to suspect this particular sale, but the first thing that popped into my head was slabbed Chinese counterfeit set. >>

That is my initial impression.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore

• << <i>Well, the seller got good feedback from the winner, who looks to be a coin dealer. It appears someone hit a home run. >>

Yes Virgina, there is a Santa Claus image
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seller has sold coins before.

There's not a chance on earth that this is a true $30,000 set that someone purchased for $1500.

Either the sale won't go through or they';re Chinese counterfeits.

No way I even consider the 'missed key date' theory.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    If its too good to be true..... waiting for the results, if it is legit.
  • The buyer left positive feedback. Anybody want to email him and see what he got?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file