Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1916 Standing Liberty Quarter?

Found this among a lot of SLQ quarters. Could this be the rare 1916? Hard to tell from the picture i must say but my first thought was that it could be due to the shape of the hair as compared to a 1917. It doesnt seem to be as pointed as the 17s

Comments

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from the pic but I would say 1917
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to make a definite conclusion based on the scale of your image, however it does appear that there is a gap between Liberty's gown and the right ankle, which would DQ it from the 1916 design, where the edge of the gown actually touches the ankle.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Hard to be sure from small pic, but tip of hair seems too wide.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have mentioned the picture makes it tough to know for sure. Based upon the lack of shield detail discernable in your photo, I'd say it may have a shot at being a 1916.
  • Options
    I dont know the more i look at it the more it seems like a 1916. Even on extremely worn 1917 samples the rivets stand out quite a bit as opposed to this one which has very faint rivets. I should be receiving it next week so we willl see if is is indeed a 1916

Is the gown in the bottom of 1916s wider as compared to 1917s. This one seems to be flatter in the bottom while other 1917 samples seem to be more of a J shape

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file