Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gold Dollar Guess The Year

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK Folks.....the obverse here has indicators which tell the year. Do you know??

a bit of a 'hint'

Comments

• mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

wag
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Ambro51, it's nice to see you back on gold dollars again. I've looked forward to your sharing your enthusiasm and knowledge for them.
    I don't have a clue for the year, but for a giveaway, I'll guess 1861.
    Paul
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like one of the later years....1868 (a guess, as I don't have in-depth understanding of the obverse characteristics of each date)

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nope and nope!
  • njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    www.numismaticamericana.com
    nope image

If no one guesses, Ill post the answer about 6 tonite, along with a passage from a reference which tells the story.

(the "hint" is very helpful)
  • I would bet it's an after 1880 type3 g. dollar. My guess would be 1883, maybe 1885.

Rok
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1850

wag >>

For this type, it would have to be between 1856 and 1889.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Well....no one guessed. And, hence, no one will be able to claim this very generous giveaway.

OK. What we see here is an 1879. The very interesting feature, and the diagnostic...is that the first feather in the headress is partially polished away, and there is a triangular area of polish under the ear. What this signifies...is the re use of the 1862 Proof obverse die, which was retired from proof use after striking about 400 proofs over the years. Perhaps an overenthusiastic mint worker carried on the annual polishing a BIT too far that year, and actually caused the ''streaks' that extend up from the headress through the lettering to the border. Youll notice on your proof gold dollars from 1862 and forward for several years...this same polishing ov the first feather in the headress. (for reference, see QDBs gold dollar book, under 1862 proof )

so...thats what we have here! Over the years, auction houses and collectors have mistaken early strike 1879s for proofs, but the true nature of the proofs are shown by an area of unfinished die within the O of Dollar on the reverse.

Pretty neat, eh?
    InteresTing to realize that over it's service life that die created between three and five million dollars worth of proof gold in today's collector market! That may be some kind of record,,,
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thread. I have an 1876 with the same obverse. I am pretty sure it is a Proof.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file