Home PSA Set Registry Forum

How much impact does "snow" have on grade? Advice appreciated

I recently subbed a '60 Topps Cash and it came back a 6. I know the borders could be whiter but I have plenty of '60 Topps that are 8s with off-white borders worse than this one. Is it the snow? Centering's good; corners are pretty good. Should I crack and resubmit or just accept a 6? I have another Cash I wanted to sub but I'm a little hesitant after this last one. I don't get it- any advice, thoughts, input, or words of wisdom would be appreciated especially since this is my first time....posting image

Raw

Slabbed 6?

Here's a 7 that I have - it has some snow, borders are about equally white as the one above, but definitely not centered as well.

Here's another Cash I was thinking about subbing but I'm wondering if it'll come back with such a low grade

Thanks in advance-

Comments

• 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Mike,
    Nice cards but I think the first card scanned in has the least amount of snow and has the best shot at an 8 due to the centering. All of these are very nice copies though. You must really like Cash or you have a lot of nice copies from 1960's that you can choose from.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • The top scan, I really thought would be an 8, minimally a 7. I was like a deer in headlights when the grades popped and it said 6; I was thinking (hoping) for mechanical error, lol. Although I'm not complaining about the '60 Duren, Tigers Team, Koppe, Dodgers Team, Tasby, or Perry cards I subbed that came back 8 image all pretty tough 8s in the '60 set. I still can't stop thinking about these Cash cards. The other times I've re-subbed other cards, they have come back with the same grade...which in a way, it's always nice to see consistent grading.

I guess my focus (for now) has been Tigers cards and this Cash (and Morgan) cards have been a real issue for me to get in an 8. And yes, I have had one or seven of these cards to choose from; just can't seem to get one that'll grade 8 image

Appreciate your thoughts-

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Hi Mike and welcome.

Geez that is one terrific looking 6.

I'd resubmit it.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I'm sure I will. Guess I was looking for some encouraging words...

Just sent out my 3rd sub for the month - can't say no to these grading specials. Anyone know what September's looking like???
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Any chance that's a wrinkle coming down thru C in cap.
  • leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    I have subbed probably 600-700 cards over the years mostly from '53-'76 with probably 80% of the submissions coming from the 60s decade. Just recently I started subbing '60 Topps baseball cards. I've probably subbed 30+ cards in the last 4-5 months and I must say I've found '60 Topps to be the toughest year for me to get high grades in. Most of what I've subbed has come back a 6... at least 1/2 of which I thought would for sure be 7s. I'm not sure what I'm missing because my guesses with other years are very accurate.

• << <i>Any chance that's a wrinkle coming down thru C in cap. >>

I don't think so. I know my scans aren't the greatest but in my opinion the only possible issues with the Cash card (one on top that graded 6) is slightly off white borders and this dam# snow I keep finding on so many of them. Maybe it's the corners??? Usually when I "my grade" doesn't match PSA it's a difference of 1 point; I say 8 they say 7 which I can't really argue that....too much. All I know is I have 8s from this set that look a lot worse than this card.

Starting to feel like I'm banging my head against the wall with these Cash cards......not that I plan on stopping till I get my 8!!! lol

• << <i>I have subbed probably 600-700 cards over the years mostly from '53-'76 with probably 80% of the submissions coming from the 60s decade. Just recently I started subbing '60 Topps baseball cards. I've probably subbed 30+ cards in the last 4-5 months and I must say I've found '60 Topps to be the toughest year for me to get high grades in. Most of what I've subbed has come back a 6... at least 1/2 of which I thought would for sure be 7s. I'm not sure what I'm missing because my guesses with other years are very accurate. >>

I definitely agree leadoff4. I have probably had the most difference in opinion with this set on subs. I think in some ways (for this set), it can financially and for the sake of sanity makes sense to buy a lot of these cards already graded if you want them in high grade and/or for the registry-although I don't always practice what I preach image

Some of my prouder moments on my last two subs with '60 Topps

Not lucky enough for an 8 image

That Tigers team and all the 7s are on ebay right now imageimage
  • macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    That first scan is a solid 8 in most grader's worlds. I would crack it out and be sure to submit it with some other high grade cards that look at least as good as the Cash - in case you did not know this, what really assists in achieving high grades, is making certain the submission is consistent with high grade cards - in other words, if you are looking for a bunch of 8's, don't submit cards that have even the remote possibility of getting a 6 or less in the same sub.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike,

Do you think the little "fish-eye" to the right of the "H" in "CASH"and print dot in the border next to the "fish-eye" knocked the grade down? GOOD LUCK with your submissions and WELCOME to the board!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes re-subbing ain't such a bad idea. I recently had a 1960 card come back as a 6 (or maybe it was 6.5). I re-subbed it, and it came back a 9.

• << <i>That first scan is a solid 8 in most grader's worlds. I would crack it out and be sure to submit it with some other high grade cards that look at least as good as the Cash - in case you did not know this, what really assists in achieving high grades, is making certain the submission is consistent with high grade cards - in other words, if you are looking for a bunch of 8's, don't submit cards that have even the remote possibility of getting a 6 or less in the same sub. >>

I'll definitely keep that in mind; makes sense.

I used my CC vouchers since a few of these are/would have booked for >$100 depending on their grade. The Mazeroski I was hoping for 7 but was prepared for a 6. The Dodgers and Tigers team felt they were an 8. Griffey expected a 9 but of course hoping for 10. Gibson I can't argue. And then there's Cash so overall I'm happy but confused at the same time. I always appreciate input from others so thanks again for everyone who has offered their opinions/suggestions, etc. One of these days I'll have my 8 or I'll win the lottery, buy majority control in PSA and make the graders give it an 8 image

1 1 6990 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1960 TOPPS 18 DODGERS TEAM Card US
    2 1 6991 NEAR MINT+ 7.5 1960 TOPPS 55 BILL MAZEROSKI Card US
    3 1 6992 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1960 TOPPS 72 TIGERS TEAM Card US
    4 1 6993 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1960 TOPPS 488 NORM CASH Card US
    5 1 6994 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1981 TOPPS 315 KIRK GIBSON Card US
    6 1 6995 MINT 9 1989 UPPER DECK 1 KEN GRIFFEY JR. STAR ROOKIE Card US
  • cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I will chime in on the 1960's being hard to understand.

I subbed these 2 cards.

I figured they would get graded a 4 with the MC qualifier. But I did not expect to get a 2 for the Robinson, it is not creased - just the bad lower left corner. The Snider has the start of a few surface wrinkles.

I submitted them just to protect them from getting worse. I paid more for grading than I did for the cards, so I thought why not give it a try.

So the Snider does not even get an OC. Who would have thought that.

It was my first sub, so maybe I will figure it out with more subs (just sent my second sub last week).

Shawn
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods

• << <i>Mike,

Do you think the little "fish-eye" to the right of the "H" in "CASH"and print dot in the border next to the "fish-eye" knocked the grade down? GOOD LUCK with your submissions and WELCOME to the board! >>

First off, thanks for the warm welcome! I suppose it's possible (fish-eye); and I definitely noticed that but my thought was it is a "minor printing imperfection" as PSA states in its standards for an NM-MT card. Different graders different opinions is certainly possible? I couldn't help but look at some of my other cards and I noticed similar marks on other 8s; here's one of them:

Left side, in red near edge to the left of Robinson's head (bigger too)

On a completely unrelated note; this makes me laugh every time I see it even though it's photo shopped (supposedly I-75 south and 8 mile)
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Mike and image to the boards.

I think you have a terrific looking card there and if you can't see anything wrong with it that would knock it down to a PSA 6, I would try and sub it one more time.

Good luck...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)