Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How does PCGS and other TPG's view crack outs of coins slabs?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
I can only imagine that from a business revenue generating standpoint and from a grade guarantee standpoint TPG's have nothing negative to say about crack outs. Crack outs raise the possibility of resubmissions and thus more grading fee "bread and butter" income. Crack outs also terminate TPG liability under their grade guarantee for each cracked out coin.

From a PR standpoint, particularly for the "upper crust of the upper crust of the top tier of the most desirable coins"image, a TPG might prefer that such coins not be cracked out of the service's slab. Having one of these coins in their slab would be a positive thing for the TPG, marketing and PR wise.

Your thoughts please.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I can only imagine that from a business revenue generating standpoint and from a grade guarantee standpoint TPG's have nothing negative to say about crack outs. Crack outs raise the possibility of resubmissions and thus more grading fee "bread and butter" income. Crack outs also terminate TPG liability under their grade guarantee for each cracked out coin.
    >>

Yep. Sounds 100% right.

<< <i>
    From a PR standpoint, particularly for the "upper crust of the upper crust of the top tier of the most desirable coins"image, a TPG might prefer that such coins not be cracked out of the service's slab. Having one of these coins in their slab would be a positive thing for the TPG, marketing and PR wise.
    >>

Yep. This is one of the reasons you sometimes see ultra-rarities (i.e. 1804 dollar) somewhat overgraded----so that they are essentially entombed in that company's holder.
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    Your point makes good business sense, therefore I believe it is correct.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with all the above. To the slabbing services, the sound of cracking plastic is the sound of money from future submissions.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theoretically, the laser scanning service from PCGS Secure Plus could cut down on crack outs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file