Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How do you examine 1971's for re-coloring

Interested in hearing from some experts on examining cards for re-coloring. What do you look for. I have a black light but honestly, I'm not sure what to exactly look for. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• I always look at the edge of the card for bleeding to see if the black marker bleed through , as far as a black light I don't know, I guess it would give a different glow than the rest of the card.
  • mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    A really bright flouresant light and the bleeding on the edges. Slight little touch ups dont show bleeding but can be seen by looping. You can see the difference in the ink. If something looks off it will probably come back as altered. Sometimes they may not be.
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Would the cards always bleed through, or is it possible for someone to lightly re-color them and there be no bleed through?
  • backbidderbackbidder Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    I've found there's not always bleed-through. I use a lighted 10x loop which makes the color and surface differences evident between recoloring and native ink. PM me your address and I'll send you a few recolored 71's to show you what I mean.
  • Nobody can spot recolored 71's
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's important to note that when looking for the "bleed-through", you're not looking at the back of the card. You need to look at the bare edge of the card.

Steve
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    a black light will show it.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    You check your records and see if the person who sold them to you hails from Kentucky.