Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What's wrong with this card?

I was looking at ebay auctions and I came across this:
goudey_averill

There's a big square on the right of the card that looks like it doesn't belong; the border doesn't even match. Is this a printing defect? It looks very odd....

Comments

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Weird. Looks like, maybe, the card was taped somewhere and they made the mistake of ripping the tape off the card, then custom colored the torn area.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • It's obviously a patch card. image

• No damage noticable on backside though.
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>It's obviously an auto / patch card. image >>

fixed image
  • It looks like someone took a low res scan or photocopy of the card, printed it out on a crappy printer, cut out a section, and placed it over what would be an obvious blemish or tear in the card. If you look at the bottom right corner of the "weird" section, there's a white "rip" that looks as if someone peeled off the top layer of the card. There's also an obvious shadow on the left border of the "weird" section, as if its been placed on top of the card. Not sure if I'm describing what I'm seeing well, but hopefully you get the drift.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    It's a frankenstein, the value is in the auto.

(if legit)

Steve
    Good for you.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks like someone took a low res scan or photocopy of the card, printed it out on a crappy printer, cut out a section, and placed it over what would be an obvious blemish or tear in the card. If you look at the bottom right corner of the "weird" section, there's a white "rip" that looks as if someone peeled off the top layer of the card. There's also an obvious shadow on the left border of the "weird" section, as if its been placed on top of the card. Not sure if I'm describing what I'm seeing well, but hopefully you get the drift. >>

It looks like someone took a piece of paper, cut it, and glued it onto the card to cover up a section that had been removed somehow. They then colored it to try to roughly match the color of the card.

Steve