Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Blue steel Lincoln?

GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭
Hey, got a question about a steel cent that I have had for years. It came from one of those 3 piece snap-tite holders with the cardboard insert. Anyways, it is a bright blue color. There are some rust spots showing through and I have given it an acetone bath to see if the color would come off, which it didn't. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Will try and post some pics up in a few mins.

Here's a quick picture. The blue is actually a bit brighter than the picture shows. I know it's got rust spots, I was just curious as to the blue color.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having spent years in a major plating shop, I can attest to the hue of the bright blue clear chromate applied to zinc plated parts.

I suspect your coin was reprocessed at some point. The original zinc plating stripped off with hydrochloric acid and the coin replated with zinc and the chromate applied. I've seen many reprocessed coins out in the marketplace - none in legitimate slabs.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the info. another note of interest.....what looks like a scratch across the CENT is actually a raised line, like a die scratch or gouge would be.
    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file