Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

A few potential "Bump-Sub" cards for your opinions

I've never sent a card in for review and am thinking of using sign-up vouchers to have some of these reviewed. I'd like to get the list down to 6. Thanks in advance, Bob

Comments

• SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    The 60 Mantle if the corners are as sharp as they look, the 64 Clemente stand up, and the 71 Clemente. All beauties though, nicely done!

"Molon Labe"

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to say, but definitely not the four horsemen.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I think the '64 Stand up is the only one worth taking a shot with. Not sure if it's the scan or not, but does the '59 Clemente have some toning on the top border?

Whatever the grades, most all of those cards have great eye appeal!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • If I'm being hopeful, I'd go with:
    1959 Clemente
    1960 Mantle (although the bottom right corner could give you probelms)
    1964 Stand Up

If I'm being realistic:
    1964 Stand Up
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I think the 1960 Mantle gives you the best shot. The 1955 Bowman might get a downgrade if you send it in....
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go with the 1964 Stand Up as one of the cards that has a good chance at bumping.

Good luck...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Thanks so far. A few notes.

I'm a sucker for awesome centering and great focus/print/surface picture. Guess corners get sacrificed somewhere.

The 59 Clemente and 60 Mantle are lightly toned.

No love for the 70 Clemente or Williams?
    I like the Williams...depends on how much "green" is chipping on the reverse. Plus you got a corner ding...if it has alot of chipping on the reverse, then a '5' is about right.
  • leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    Before I read your most recent post I was going to say the '60 Mantle and '59 Clemente.
  • whats the back look like on the 64' standup? is it stained badly?
  • I say the '71 Clemente without question, and I think I'd give the '70 Clemente a try too. Maybe the '60 Mantle as well, depending on how the two right corners look in hand.

Definitely not the '55 Mantle, Superstars, or Four Horsemen.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • I would go the 70 Clemente, 71 Clemente, and the 1964 Standup. Those Clemente's look sweet.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    You might just want to crack the top 5 out and send them in. I like the 59, 70,71 64 stand up
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
    Thanks again for the comments.

I think, if I decide to renew and get 6 vouchers, I'll send the 59 Clemente, 60 Mantle, 64 Stand Up, 70 Clemente, 71 Clemente and 54 Williams. Everyone agree that if I have to choose 6, it should be these 6?

Cheers,

Bob
  • AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Add another 71 clemente to the vote..is that as sweet as it looks?
    Yep, the 71 is sweet. Can't remember who I purchased it from, but it was on here. Actually, most of these were purchased on here.

The 59 Clemente has three great corners but as I mentioned, is toned a little.
    the 60 mantle is is the same boat as the Clemente; however, it has almost no print/registation issues which is hard to find in this card.
    The 64 Stand Up is a little off center, and has two touched corners. Edges are strong however, and the back only has a small amount of staining.
    The 70 Clemente and 71 Clemente are high end (in my opinion) for the grades.
    The 54 Williams just looks like a very nice 5 to me, and I beleive deserves a bump because of the great centering and nice print (another card that typically has a lot of print issues). To answer Bobby's question, the back is relatively chip free compaored to a lot of 5's I've seen.

• << <i>Everyone agree that if I have to choose 6, it should be these 6? >>

'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
    I am dying to know the outcome, as I have had HORRENDOUS luck with "bumps"......good luck Bob!
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from the scans, but the cards I like are the 60 Mantle, 70, 71 Clementes, and the 54 Williams.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
    It's about time Burgundy. Where you been. Selling me the Ryan RC or what?
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Mr. Burgundy has been on assignment. image

I'll sell you the Ryan RC if you take the other 597 cards that come with it. image
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • paleocardspaleocards Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd agree with most that the '71 Clemente caught my eye as the best candidate. However, I've submitted 16 PSA 7 baseball HOFers for review and not one has bumped. In contrast, I've submitted 27 PSA 8s and three earned 8.5s. I have no clue what they're looking for to bump a 7 to a 7.5 (8 corners perhaps?)

Here are the 16 (unlucky) 7s I've submitted (including my '64 Standup Aaron that I thougt was a lock...) and what the sticky-note explanations were:

"right corners"

"bottom right corner"

"bottom left corner" & "top corners"
    imageimage

"bottom corners" & "top corners"
    imageimage

"top corners" & "corners & inclusion in right border"
    imageimage

"corners & white print on jersey" & "corners & left edge dent"
    imageimage

"corners & PD"

"corners & PD"

"corners" & "corners"
    imageimage

"corners & PD" & "corners"
    imageimage
    Paleo thats why the review service is no good. I would think that if you cracked all of those out and submitted them again you would have 50% in higher holders. Submit them a 2nd time and 75% total will be higher.

1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    By the way.... That 55 Aaron might be the best looking 7 ever. Just crack that out and send it in. No way it ever gets a 7 or lower again.

1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Meale, just crack them and send them in, they are beauties.

"Molon Labe"

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Paleo,
    Those 7's look great. There's only one problem for me....I'm looking at enhanced colored scans that make all of your cards look almost mint. I can't seriously gauge the condition of your cards. The 56 Williams looks awesome. I also like the 57 Aaron.

Bob,
    I know you are sending in 6 because of the voucher.........but I only believe the 70 and 71 Clementes have a shot. Don't get me wrong..they all look nice; but most look graded right on and the 55 AA looks overgraded. How is the 60 Mantle's bottom right corner? If it's nice maybe I would say that one too.