Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I'm a US coin guy - help! What is this?

I've had this laying around for many years, and I always thought it was interesting. Looks broadstruck - was that by intention, or an error? I really do appreciate any and all help!

Comments

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    brazil 960 reis, silver, sometimes you can tell the coin which was overstruck ('host' coins)

that one isn't showing host coin, it looks like a strike error, but I think they were crudely done sometimes...

to me with that color it looks... wrong. somehow. but I'm not really well read in all varieties.
  • Options
    I think it is an overstrike. I can't make much out of the original though.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

These were overstruck on Spanish milled dollars ("pieces of eight"), which is why you can see ghosts of the host coin/undertype on there. It does appear to have a striking error, but I don't think that would fetch too much of a premium, considering the crude conditions these were made under.

<< <i>that one isn't showing host coin, it looks like a strike error, but I think they were crudely done sometimes... >>

Ahh, but some of the host coin does appear to show. Sure, you've got some doubling on the letters from the multiple strike, but I am nearly certain that some of those other ghost letters, especially on the side with the globe, are from the host coin.

<< <i>to me with that color it looks... wrong. somehow. but I'm not really well read in all varieties. >>

Nor am I, but regarding Hyperion's suspicion about the color, I'd say that it looks to have been cleaned, but aside from that, I personally wouldn't say there's anything "wrong" with it.

These are cool coins and that's a nice piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    It also has some PVC damage which might benefit from either a acetone or xylene bath.
  • Options

<< <i>These were overstruck on Spanish milled dollars ("pieces of eight"), which is why you can see ghosts of the host coin/undertype on there. It does appear to have a striking error, but I don't think that would fetch too much of a premium, considering the crude conditions these were made under.

<< <i>that one isn't showing host coin, it looks like a strike error, but I think they were crudely done sometimes... >>

Ahh, but some of the host coin does appear to show. Sure, you've got some doubling on the letters from the multiple strike, but I am nearly certain that some of those other ghost letters, especially on the side with the globe, are from the host coin.

<< <i>to me with that color it looks... wrong. somehow. but I'm not really well read in all varieties. >>

Nor am I, but regarding Hyperion's suspicion about the color, I'd say that it looks to have been cleaned, but aside from that, I personally wouldn't say there's anything "wrong" with it.

These are cool coins and that's a nice piece. >>

These were overstruck over nearly everything they could get their hands on... I have the 960 reis book. great collection potential going after undertypes!
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    This one looks like it was struck over an earlier 960 reis overstrike -- I've seen those from time to time.
  • Options
    I agree with MacCrimmon regarding PVC damage and suggested treatment with acetone. Dullness of the color may be from a thin film of PVC all over the coin.
  • Options

<< <i>This one looks like it was struck over an earlier 960 reis overstrike -- I've seen those from time to time. >>

I didn't realize that happened. I defer to newsman on the series!
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all of the help! Into an acetone bath it shall go.

The overstrike info is very interesting. It definitely has a "layered" look to it.
  • Options
    This one looks double struck. Same details are only slightly off center and tilted from the final strike. It would be interesting to look at under a glass to see if the shadow of the 1820 date is there. Can't really tell much with the photo.
    “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” Thomas Jefferson