Home Sports Talk
Options

Base-stealing...

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was looking at the all-time steals leaderboard and noticed that the leading base-stealer still actively playing is Juan Pierre with 510. He ranks 33rd overall and depending on how long he plays, may have at least an outside shot to get into the top 10(Honus Wagner is #10 with 723). Carl Crawford has 403 right now and will probably finish in the 600+ range. I don't think we are likely to see the Top 3 change anytime soon.

1. Rickey Henderson-1406
2. Lou Brock-938
3. Billy Hamilton-914

Comments

• Options

<< <i>]Carl Crawford has 403 right now and will probably finish in the 600+ range >>

Kind of unrelated, but with his home run last night Carl Crawford became only the 8th player with 400 steals, 100 Home Runs, and 100 Triples.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Just out of curiosity, when did Billy Hamilton go past Ty Cobb, or vice versa? I remember watching Lou Brock breaking Ty Cobb's lifetime steals record of 892 when I was a teenager. I have old books that have Cobb listed at #1 with 892. Brock got #893 dug up out of the ground and handed to him. So what happened?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just out of curiosity, when did Billy Hamilton go past Ty Cobb, or vice versa? I remember watching Lou Brock breaking Ty Cobb's lifetime steals record of 892 when I was a teenager. I have old books that have Cobb listed at #1 with 892. Brock got #893 dug up out of the ground and handed to him. So what happened? >>

Billy Hamilton played in the 19th Century, when the rules were different. For instance, if a player hit a single and went to second on the throw home, he was credited with a stolen base. Also, if a batter hit a single with a runner on first base, and the runner went to third, the runner was credited with a stolen base. Those are just two examples.

I don't know when MLB decided to rank him over Cobb officially, or if they even have.

Steve
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I don't think anybody will catch Rickey.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Michael Bourne!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Rickey say that Rickey is the best

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    The biggest reason we will not see players approach those records is a change in baseball philosophy, with the advent of evaluative mathematical equations that devalue the stolen base (attempt).

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The biggest reason we will not see players approach those records is a change in baseball philosophy, with the advent of evaluative mathematical equations that devalue the stolen base (attempt). >>

Well that and if Jason Castro is behind the plate.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts