Home Precious Metals
Options

Has anyone encountered lead filled silver bars yet?

tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
I have not but I noticed anything 25 oz or larger my dealers check over carefully. One of them wont even purchase from people they don't know. Plus they are harder to move.
The only fake silver I see is the one ounce coins from China which are all over the markets near me but very easy to spot in my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The only fake silver I see is the one ounce coins from China which are all over the markets near me but very easy to spot in my opinion. >>

What are these fake silver 1 oz coins from China that you've been seeing? Pandas? ASE's?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I have seen ASEs, Libertads, Generic rounds of bust, seated, peace, morgan and trade coinage. British trade and loads of all sorts of chinese coins. Prices range from $1 each from those who sell them for what they are to about $20-25 each fro those that think or try to pan them off as real
  • Options
    AboutAgAboutAg Posts: 201 ✭✭

<< <i>I have not but I noticed anything 25 oz or larger my dealers check over carefully. One of them wont even purchase from people they don't know. Plus they are harder to move.
    The only fake silver I see is the one ounce coins from China which are all over the markets near me but very easy to spot in my opinion. >>

I haven't heard of anything other than Engelhard 100oz bars being lead filled (in two different ways, too). I've been trying to get a hold of one for a few months to do some testing on, with no luck. See http://About.Ag/LeadFilled100OzBars.htm for all the details.

Yes, the fake 1 ounce silver coins from China are very common. But fortunately fairly easy to detect (the pandas often are missing the denomination, and all the silver ones that I have seen are underweight).