Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is a WAM cent? Also a few questions!

I haven't been collecting coins or keeping up with the hobby for the last few years. I have seen this reference in a few post and was wondering what it was.

I was also wondering what CAC was but have found out what this means. How long has CAC been in business? Has it helped the coin collecting hobby?
Seems to me it sounds like a good Idea and concept.

I have also seen where PCGS is doing the Secure Plus I think is what its called. How long has this been being done? Has it also helped the hobby? Both seem to me that they would have positive impacts on numismatics in the long run. I refer to the threads where it seemd more and more fakes seem to be popping up. Wow thats another question, Has there been an upsurge in the number of fakes hitting the market compared to five years ago?

Thanks all, sorry for bothering everybody just trying to catch up.
COINHUNTER

Comments

• Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I think a WAM cent applies to 'Wide AM"...it has to do with the reverse of AM in AMERICA on Lincoln Cents for certain years. Sometimes they touch, others there is a space between those two letters. Here is an old Numismatic News article on it: NN Article
  • Options
    Hey Thanks Patches I remember them now. Just didnt know thats what they were called Man alot sure has changed in 5 years.
    COINHUNTER
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait till ya see whos President! image
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    To answer the other two questions with my limited knowledge, CAC is service that one can send their PCGS or NGC slabbed coin to for establishing premium quality grades. A green beanie equates to a half grade or better judgement of the one given, where a gold beanie would equate to a full grade upgrade.
    PCGS just started their PCGS Plus service this year where they scan the coin for its own identity to prevent counterfeiting or other games.
    Paul
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...some stuff on CAC here. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    thanks to all I appreciate it.
    COINHUNTER

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file