Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1933 Goudey Ruth #144 -- FINALLY!!

Hey all,

Like i have posted many times before, I wanted this card in a PSA 5. Final won this one in an SGC 60 holder from Just Collect.

What do you think?? Clearly not a great looking SGC 60, but curious to know what you all think about this card and if I got a good price. Thanks!! DZoloteBay Link
I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

http://www.youtube.com/user/dzolot

Thanks for watching. Hope you enjoyed!!

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!

Comments

• Way to go! Centering is off a bit, but nice pick up.
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • You outbit me. It probably was good that you did. Enjoy it.
    -Ryan
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Nice card sir. Hopefully one day I can afford some cards like that. image
  • Consider me jealous.
    1930's-1950's Cleveland Indians Collector.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I wish the centering was better...everything else looks ok.
  • nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

Very nice, many congrats.
  • Fabulous card! Strong registration, good color, cleanliness, and a lack of border coloring. I appreciate how this card displays nearly individual blades of grass flanking The Sultan. Classic material.

Additionally, the attractive black matte SGC card holder really accentuates these qualities. It displays better than BVG and PSA.

I just don't understand this about centering. It is the most overrated quality in sports cards - and that's probably only because it's so easy to recognize. This gave rise when eBay was younger and scans were blurrier; because centering was at times the only quality that could best be judged. Sure, ideally every card is perfect - but if you have to choose one or the other - would you rather have a great central image or a nice picture frame? LOL. It's the image that makes the card great, and to many sophisticated hobbyists, it trumps relative frame equidistance.
  • onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Beauty.....................classic Ruth card, with the classic Ruth pose. image
  • Beautiful card, congrats on a great pickup!!
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, enjoy.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pickup...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • dzolotdzolot Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Thanks all!! What do you think the card would get in a PSA holder?
    I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!

• << <i>Thanks all!! What do you think the card would get in a PSA holder? >>

I think it'd get a straight 5. Corners (especially the bottom 2) are too soft for a 6, and the centering would keep it out of a 5.5 holder. Again, congrats on acquiring a VERY nice card!
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Nice card, I wouldnt screw with it, I would keep it in the holders it in.
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Very nice 5, leave it as is.

"Molon Labe"

• dzolotdzolot Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Thanks guys. Curious why you say I should leave it as is?? I am trying to accumulate (slowly) this set in PSA holders...

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>Curious why you say I should leave it as is?? >>

Keith Weinhold pegged it earlier when he said that card wont look any better from an eye appeal standpoint than it does in that holder. If its about the registry, I get that, but if its about eye appeal, its best in that holder.
  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    great looking card! SCG really makes it look great. Congrats!
    PackManInNC
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice!

Of course I'd prefer registration over centering, however, I ideally prefer a card have both

good centering and registration.

The card here IMO is sweet, and IMO if it has to be in a PSA holder I'd do a crossover first.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

A beauty of a card - as long as I have been collecting - I don't have a Ruth.

Thanx for sharing - superb.
    Mike