Home Sports Talk
Options

Bob Feller--Being treated for Leukemia

Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
I just heard about it.

Let me say there is no finer American than Rapid Robert. I've met him about 5 times. The last time I saw him I introduced my son to him. We talked about everything from military service to the greatest hitters and pitchers. He said Walter Johnson and Ted Williams. Can't argue with his choices. He was very down to earth and my son and I talk about it all the time.

I hope he recovers. There are only a handful of true sports royalty and he is 1 of them.

My prayers go out to the man who threw a baseball faster than a motorcycle could ride.

Mickey71image

Comments

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Years ago, Bob Feller met my daughter and I when she was about 2, and he had her on his lap and he told her stories and rocked her to sleep over the course of about an hour. Just like it was his own granddaughter. A CLASS GENTLEMAN!!! I will pray for his health.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Hope the best for him.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    perhaps the nicest HOF er ive ever met (next to bobby doerr)
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    This might not mean much to non-Iowans, but he told me he played on the same little league (or whatever they called it then) team as nile kinnick.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Mr. Feller! I'm praying for ya!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's some information that many people probably don't know about (Chief Petty Officer) Bob Feller:

- He was the first major leaguer to enlist in the military in WWII - joining the Navy on Dec 8, 1941, the day after Pearl Harbor, at 23 years of age
    - He had a draft deferrment due to his being the sole support for his family (sister, mother, and father who was dying of cancer) - he waived it to join the Navy
    - He served 34 months on the battleship USS Alabama
    - He was in charge of a 40-millimeter anti-aircraft gun mount, and nine other gunners
    - After serving his first 11 months aboard the Alabama mostly in the North Sea, convoying British and Russian troop and supply ships against a German U-boat armada, the
    Alabama sailed non-stop, 6,600 miles to the south Pacific
    - He earned five campaign ribbons and eight battlestars for action in New Hebrides, the Gilbert Islands, Marshall Islands, Marianas Islands (including the Great Marianas Turkey
    Shoot), Peliliu, New Guinea, Truk, the capture and occupation of Guam, the struggle for Saipan, landings in the Western Carolinas Islands, and the invasion of Okinawa. After
    Emporor Hirohito, General MacArthur and Admiral Nimitz signed the surrender documents aboard the USS Missouri, the USS Alabama led the US Fleet into Tokyo Bay
    - The USS Alabama never lost a man to enemy action
    - He was discharged from the Navy on Aug 22, 1945

Bob Feller wasn't just a great baseball player or a great human being, he was and still is a genuine American Hero! image

Steve

The above information was taken from an article by Jerome Holtzman, in the Dec 2000 issue of Baseball Digest.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes for a quick recovery

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Wish him the best
  • Options
    Wanted to bump this thread with some good news, looks like he's feeling better.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    That is good news.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I went to spring training in Florida back in '97 during my spring break in college. At one of the parks (can't remember which one, but I think we were in Lakeland, so maybe the Tigers) Bob Feller was just walking around the concession area talking to fans and posing for pictures. He is the total opposite of primadonna. He actually enjoyed talking to the fans, sharing stories, and signing free autographs. He was a breath of fresh air. Hope he's doing well..
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Great news.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Bob is supposed to participate again in the Indians fantasy camp, hopefully he'll be feeling better by then so he can enjoy some of that Arizone sunshine....

al.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    he is one tough guy, they don't make them like that anymore
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>bob feller is the most senior living member of the hall of fame, inducted in 1962.

wow, a living member of the hall of fame for 48 years. is that the longest?

i wish him the best. >>

It has to be. The HOF itself is only about 75 years old.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars