Greg S.

Comments

• Options
    no more commeratives?image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    Don't forget they are not eliminating the current three sets either so if you want the modern commemoratives and the gold n your type set they are there.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    They are keeping the current type sets??? This comment I cannot find in the registry news.

dan
    image It's Her's
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Cosmic:

I not sure your comment is correct, though I wish it was. How do you know?

Greg S.
  • Options
    OK maybe I was wrong, but from the survey:

<< <i>3. Set composition. We want to keep the sets we've posted, i.e. the sets with "real" type coins and not ultra minor type variations, up as is. However, if enough of you want the old sets too, we'll also keep them up. Do you want the shell case copper penny, Type 3 Standing Liberty quarter, etc. sets to stay up???? >>

Did enough of us want them left in?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Maybe my thinking if flawed, but in the Gold sets, why do they go to 1999 if they don't include a current Gold Ealge?

As for the other sets, I'm glad I'm out of the race. I just wonder whats in store for teh Morgan Registry.image
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Bill,
    I think the with minor type variations sets are meant to cover this....

I am surprised though...

How can a 20th Century Gold set only have 1933 and before coins? What about $5, $10 commems, and Gold Eagles?

We also didn't get a 20th Century Type Set that includes gold.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options

<< <i>Should you want any of your current type sets duplicated, please email bj@collectors.com. >>

Duplicated and current means to me the old stays. Plus, BJ said so in a e-mail yesterday to me. Doesn't make it clear, and I asked for confirmation from her, but that was my understanding.

Keith

Keith ™

• Options
    Typetone,

I echo your sentiments completely. Well, maybe not the lib nickels.

And, while I too have no idea where to begin, I do have one observation which is, PCGS is jumping through hoops to "protect" the "integrity" of these cute little gold mini-sets. And destroying one of their most popular sets in the process. These cute little mini-sets must be awfully important for some reason.

HD
  • Options
    I hope they kept the old sets. I guess we'll just have to wait and see for sure. I sent BJ an email she is usually very good at ansering them.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Looks like those commems are gone. BJ e-mailed and let me know that the 20th Century with Minor Varities is the old 1900-present set. She is still looking into the question of a combined gold/non-gold set.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    More from BJ:

<< <i>David just told me that he wants to put these new sets up and see how
    many
    people register. The amount of registrants is the barometer of demand
    for
    various sets and various ways to list the sets. So... if the activity
    is
    good, we'll put up a combined CNS and Gold set.
    >>

Keith ™

• Options
    So did they or did they not keep the old sets? If not they got rid of the 1992 to present Silver proofs!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    They did keep the Silver State Quarter proof, but the other 3 (Roosevelt, Washington, and Kennedy) are gone.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Let's see, after further review, why did PCGS bother?

Comments in no paticular order:

Major Type vs Minor Types -- bite the bullet and make a decision. You are already hacking off enough collectors by dropping other pieces (see below), so why not make it unanimous. Although grumbling, most would probably sell of the "minor" types and upgrade the "majors" or keep the minor because they genuinely like them. Personally, shell case Lincoln holds no appeal for me, but the 09 VDB is a major design, enough to cause a riot that changed the design the next year, on par with the Type 1, Type 2 SLQ controversy.

Gold -- Where's "with gold" sets. Last e-mail from David Hall I got said that we would get no-gold (check), gold (check) and combined (oops). Plus, eliminate that Proof Gold Type now. The set already is lacking because some of the designs have a Matte and Satin finish, so you need a few more pieces to make this a Type set. Instead, it is a Proof Design. And I'll buy a beer for the first collector who actually registers a set with more than a single piece grading PR-60 or higher and doesn't go by the name High Desert. (Must be 21 or older and must collect while in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex). 20th Century Gold Design set already exists, except it has 12 coins instead of 8. It is called a Basic Gold Type set and asks that you buy a $3 gold and the three types of $1 gold.

Current 1959-present sets -- I don't think anyone really minds changing the date to 1950 (minor grumbling), but shaving off those commems, SMS coins, and Accented Hair Kennedy's is a bad move. Those coins can get very expensive and a lot of collectors made the effort to acquire them less than a year ago because they were required.

I will initially register sets in several categories, but I think that there will not be as much competition as there used to be, so I may eliminate some of the sets pretty quick. The Complete Type set is still put together pretty well and will become my main focus. I still plan to upgrade all of my current 20th Century pieces to MS-65 or better. And NGC has a pretty reasonable Type set on their side that has a good composition, recognizes that there are a few more legitimate Types, and seems to be weighted well so far.

Keith

Keith ™

• Options
    The NGC set was made just for you Keith image Circulating strikes only.

I guess they still can change complete type too. They haven't got there yet with weightings.