Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

2010 Additions- Future HOF Rookies- Senior Set POLL

Alright everyone. With the 2011 Senior Pro Football HOF candidates Chris Hanburger and Les Richter being announced last week, it's time for our own poll. To add or subtract any players from the current Future HOF Senior Set. Going to come at it a little different this year, and not only nominate the players who became newly eligible as senior candidates this year. But to also nominate who, IMO, are the top players at each position who are not already listed on the set. Anyone has the power to nominate a player for vote. So if you think someone else is deserving, by all means post there name, and I will add them to the ballot.

Any players with better than 50% of the votes here, I will request the player/card be added to the set. Will run the vote through next Sunday. Anyone can vote, although we would prefer it be those who have a vested interest and are actually collecting the set.

Here are the initial nominees:

New Seniors for 2011:
Cliff Branch, WR- 4 Pro Bowls, 3 first team All-Pro, 2-time modern Semi-finalist
Joe Theismann, QB- 2 Pro Bowls, 1 first team All-Pro
Matt Blair, OLB- 6 Pro Bowls, 1 first team All-Pro

My top candidate at each position not currently on the set:
QB-Daryle Lamonica- 5 Pro Bowls, 2 first team All-Pro (AFL player)
RB-Beattie Feathers-1 first team All-Pro, All-Decade Team 1930s, 1-time prior Senior Candidate Finalist
WR-Harold Carmichael- 4 Pro Bowls, 0 first team All-Pro, All-Decade Team 1970s (2nd Team)
TE-Pete Retzlaff- 5 Pro Bowls, 0 first team All-Pro, 1-time Senior Semifinalist
OT-Winston Hill- 8 Pro Bowls, 0 first team All-Pro (AFL player)
OG-Dick Barwegan- 4 Pro Bowls, 4 first team All-Pro, All-Decade Team 1950s (2nd Team)
OC-Jon Morris- 7 Pro Bowls, 1 first team All-Pro (AFL player)
DE- Ed Sprinkle- 4 Pro Bowls, 0 first team All-Pro, All-Decade Team 1940s, 1-time Senior Semifinalist
DT- Curley Culp- 6 Pro Bowls, 1 first team All-Pro
LB- Les Richter- 8 Pro Bowls, 1 first team All-Pro, Current Senior Finalist
CB- Bobby Dillon- 4 Pro Bowls, 4 first team All-Pro
S- Jimmy Patton- 5 Pro Bowls, 5 first team All-Pro

My votes to add:
Cliff Branch-1
Les Richter-1

My votes to subtract:
NONE
I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Add:

Cliff Branch
    Beattie Feathers
    Winston Hill
    Les Richter

Subtract:

Billy Wilson
    Jack Butler
    Jim Tyrer (while he should already be in the Hall, politics over the murder/suicide will NEVER allow for his enshrinement)
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I will abstain from voting as I don't know enough about the players to make an educated guess.

It's seems no matter who we want in the set, they always come up with a player no one expects or that we've ever discussed. ie..Lebeau last year, Richter this year..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>

Billy Wilson
    Jack Butler
    Jim Tyrer (while he should already be in the Hall, politics over the murder/suicide will NEVER allow for his enshrinement) >>

I don't disagree with you on Tyrer, other than to say "Never say never"..lol..As the voters change and new guys rotate in, you never know when someone gets a wild hair and decides to push for his election.

Wilson had steadily been in the Top 15-17 semi-finalists for a few years, but hasn't for the past 2 years. Butler is a guy in the Richter type category. There are still a large contingent of old timers who clamor for his election. For the most part, it seems that the senior voters are targeting specific franchises, and then finding the best candidate from that franchise. This year, it was the Rams. Last year the Broncos. Next year, who knows. The senior set is a crap shoot in many ways, but at least we can have our own say on who WE think belongs on the set and belongs in the HOF. Can't predict what the voters will do, but either way, this set includes a very nice selection of GREAT rookie cards.

Jason
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to give the linemen some love with my nominations. All have solid credentials IMO.

Dick Barwegan
    4-time Pro Bowler & 4-time First-Team All-Pro
    Gene Brito
    5-time Pro Bowler & 3-time First-Team All-Pro
    Jim Ray Smith
    Roger Brown
    6-time Pro Bowler & 2-time First-Team All-Pro
    Dick Schafrath
    6-time Pro Bowler & 4-time First-Team All-Pro
    Walt Sweeney
    9-time Pro Bowler & 2-time First-Team All-Pro
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will abstain from voting as I don't know enough about the players to make an educated guess.

It's seems no matter who we want in the set, they always come up with a player no one expects or that we've ever discussed. ie..Lebeau last year, Richter this year..

Dave >>

I have to take Dave's stance as well. There is no logic that is used for the Sr Nominations at all. The fact that they come up with players we have never discussed seems to make the point of having this set debatable. I would say this for any of the future HOF sets. I am just going to stick to the main sets from now on.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll Third that idea.
    Most of the last several picks have all missed this set entirely.
    However I am a big Hanburger fan.
    I am far from an expert but I'll go with C Branch just because he's newly eligable and the most outstanding Raider not on the list.

I'l pass on everyone else. The set is way to large for just 2 possible elections/year.

The 2 new senior nominees will either be included on the RC HOF set soon or not. If they don't make it
    with so many other deserving guys I doubt they would get a 2nd chance.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Branch for sure - 3 Super Bowl Champions !!!
  • Options
    meant to say "Championships"
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll Third that idea.
    I am far from an expert but I'll go with C Branch just because he's newly eligable and the most outstanding Raider not on the list.

I'l pass on everyone else. The set is way to large for just 2 possible elections/year.

The 2 new senior nominees will either be included on the RC HOF set soon or not. If they don't make it
    with so many other deserving guys I doubt they would get a 2nd chance. >>

well this is what i was trying to say but you said it best.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Subtract none and add: Branch and Richter
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Subtract none and add Richter and Branch.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Total voters: 6

Votes to add:
    Cliff Branch-6
    Les Richter-4
    Beattie Feathers-1
    Winston Hill-1

Votes to subtract:
    Billy Wilson-1
    Jack Butler-1
    Jim Tyrer-1
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll Third that idea.

with so many other deserving guys I doubt they would get a 2nd chance. >>

well this is what i was trying to say but you said it best. >>

The set certainly isn't for everyone. No set is. But for the 24 collectors of the set, it is a way for us to vote for and elect the players to this set that WE think are HOF worthy. Plenty of top notch rookies in the set, and as a nice aside, it feeds the HOF RC set. So if/when Hanburger gets elected this year, his rookie card will come off this set and be added directly to the HOF RC set.

Jason
  • Options
    Put me down for Branch.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>I'm going to give the linemen some love with my nominations. All have solid credentials IMO.

Dick Barwegan
    4-time Pro Bowler & 4-time First-Team All-Pro
    Gene Brito
    Jim Ray Smith
    Roger Brown
    6-time Pro Bowler & 2-time First-Team All-Pro
    Dick Schafrath
    6-time Pro Bowler & 4-time First-Team All-Pro
    Walt Sweeney
    9-time Pro Bowler & 2-time First-Team All-Pro >>

Tom, do you want to vote for any or all of these nominations to be added to the set?
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Hi Jason,

Yes, I'm voting for them all.

Tom
  • Options
    Total voters: 8

Votes to add:
    Cliff Branch-7
    Les Richter-4
    Beattie Feathers-1
    Winston Hill-1
    Dick Barwegan-1
    Gene Brito-1
    Jim Ray Smith-1
    Roger Brown-1
    Dick Schafrath-1
    Walt Sweeney-1

Votes to subtract:
    Billy Wilson-1
    Jack Butler-1
    Jim Tyrer-1
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Jason,

Yes, I'm voting for them all.

Tom >>

Sorry about that. When I first saw your post, I saw "Nominees" and thought you were just adding them to the list of candidates. Then I realized I never saw (in my mind) an actual vote from you, which is why I asked. Anyway, votes now added.

Thanks,
    Jason
  • Options
    Alex Karras
  • Options

<< <i>Alex Karras >>

Ummmm. He's already on the set.

Jason
  • Options
    Voting here has ended. Will request the following card to be added the the Future HOF- Senior set

1975 Topps #524 Cliff Branch

PSA will then send out the official poll to all set participants. So if you voted for him here, be sure to respond to PSA's poll.

Thanks to all who voted.
    Jason