Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    No coin is my one coin, per se, but this one comes pretty close:

Quite rare compared with the beaded border and unheard of in this condition, so far.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    My newest 1771 Halfpenny posted earlier is pretty close to being "the one" for me, but like Wybrit it's impossible to decide on just one. This 1855 Penny in 66RB I also love.

• Options

I knew you guys wouldn't disappoint! Simply beautiful.

Makes mine look kinda cruddy, thanks.image I'm not complaining, we all collect different areas and styles, that's what makes this place so interesting for me.
  • Options
    This is a tough one! There are a few others in my arsenal that you would probably have to pry from my cold dead fingers but;

1779 Potosi Bolivia 8 Escudo NGC 63 Most probably, the finest (if not, tied for finest) Charles III Potosi 8E in existence!

Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Okay guys! You are all killing me! I wish I still had the ones that I said that I would never sell! In fact, if most of my fellow Board members are reading this, THEY probably bought the coin I said I would never sell. image

The only coin(s) that I would probably not sell are the Aluminum pieces I have received over the years that are rarer in the grades that they are often seen in. Sorry, but I will have to make a separate post, especially while I have no photos for these coins! I have no good reason for this except for the reason that I plan on photographing these at the same time to make a collection post! image -Dan
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    This 95% off center Australian dollar. It was given to me by my best friend and it'll be with me until the end.

Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

imageimage
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    I have yet to find said coin...
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    My Isabella.

She sold her jewels for gold, and bought three boats...

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    A tempting subject, and an opportunity to see some great coins in this thread.

But if I ever decide to part with my collection, they all go. If you don't kick an addiction cold turkey, you will undoubtedly relapse sooner or later. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A tempting subject, and an opportunity to see some great coins in this thread.

But if I ever decide to part with my collection, they all go. If you don't kick an addiction cold turkey, you will undoubtedly relapse sooner or later. image >>

Actually, "the ONE" for me is a Lightside coin. image

My grandfather plowed it from the earth in the 1920s, and I'll probably be buried with it in my chest pocket unless a worthy inheritor arrives on the scene soon.....ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Oh yeah, it's a Wreath cent.
  • Options

<< <i>Actually, "the ONE" for me is a Lightside coin. image

My grandfather plowed it from the earth in the 1920s, and I'll probably be buried with it in my chest pocket unless a worthy inheritor arrives on the scene soon.....ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Oh yeah, it's a Wreath cent. >>

That's a good point. I have some silver that was given to me by my grandfather, which I don't keep with my main collection. He would pick silver from circulation and give it to the grandkids when we came to visit. Those are put away for safekeeping, too.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is a lightsider that I don't have images of but sits in an SDB, an 1867 2 cent piece that my grandfather's brother gave him when he was 6 years old in 1897 after he lost his pinkie finger in a cornshucker. My grandfather gave me the coin in 1976 when I was a little kid.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1779 Potosi Bolivia 8 Escudo NGC 63 Most probably, the finest (if not, tied for finest) Charles III Potosi 8E in existence!

image >>

Gary .... that is one FABULOUS coin .....image
  • Options
    My only darkside and I'm taking it to the next show to be imaged (heads up messydesk). Eliasberg XF45

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

All amazing specimens, thanks for posting them.image

It IS a difficult decision, but done just for fun. I doubt that I'm alone in this, but I often look over my entire collection and find myself looking at one or two of them more than the others. I guess that this is how I made my choice.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Wayne Anderson's collection - Wayne was the founder of the Conder Tokens Collector's Club.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I've already sold off coins that I thought I would never part with. I've found that one can part with anything if there's enough incentive.

Of my remaining pieces, the one I would hang onto the longest is this one:

• Options
    You mean the piece I would keep forever, today??
    imageimage

Or maybe this one???image
  • Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough question. For me, it would have to be a rather inexpensive Guadalajara 8 Reales that got me started in War 4 Independence direction.

It's Calbeto-110 - From the Royalist provisional mint of Guadalajara, Mexico. Variety without a period in front of the "HISPAN". Pretty crude strike with rusty dies on a flawed planchet, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Options
    WalterWalter Posts: 145 ✭✭
    It's not much, but it's a stunning coin in hands with mirror fields and light matte devices (the photo doesn't quite capture this). PCGS slabbed MS63 prooflike and the only one slabbed by PCGS as prooflike.

http://www.bluesheet.com.au/Certificates/PCGS/13503733/View
  • Options

I have collected U.S coins for many years, and then Civil War Tokens, but am now actively building a collection of 18th Century Conder Tokens, the coins that made the Industrial Revolution a whopping success. : )
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A tempting subject, and an opportunity to see some great coins in this thread.

But if I ever decide to part with my collection, they all go. If you don't kick an addiction cold turkey, you will undoubtedly relapse sooner or later. image >>

image >>

Don't give me that confused look MacCrimmon. Besides the fact that my collection contradicts my Buddhist beliefs, I would have expected more understanding from someone who just sold the Bertie florin, and who did not sell it because of enough $$$incentive$$$ as Scrooge Mac Coinpictures argues, although $9K can also be interpreted as such. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From Wayne Anderson's collection - Wayne was the founder of the Conder Tokens Collector's Club. >>

Wow! Very nice token! image
  • Options
    My Icon Pic.

imageimage
  • Options

Great stuff, everyone!image

LordM - That one goes without saying. I can imagine coin collecting helping to break up a marriage, but to spark one? Cool story and writeup!

Moonwinx - I gotta say, those pics are awesome! I find myself taking detailed pictures and enjoying the intricacies of each design too, but I can't get close to those pics. Nice job!
  • Options
    An 1888 Indian Head penny that my grandmother gave me in 1956. That was the first coin in my collection. I know never is a long time, but I would never part with it.image
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    The first real coup I made in coins was buying a 1957 Franklin Half Proof from a dealer at a show in Chicago.

I looked at that coin several times, sat on the front steps of the building for 15-20 minutes trying to decide whether or not to pay him the $325
    he was asking for it.

Finally I got into bargaining but he wouldn't budge for lower than $300.

It was a gorgeous, near flawless, deep cameo both sides proof and I finally had to have it for his price.

I put it in a Capitol holder and vowed to NEVER, EVER sell it

Then I got to thinking about whether or not it would remain "flawless" over time or pick up a carbon or toning spot that might affect the value.

So I sent it to PCGS and it came back PR 68 DCAM.

With the same concern in mind I sold it less than a year later to Ron Tomaska-the cameo proof king at the time-for $3,200. I'm sure he marked it up, and
    sold it, for at least $4,000-$5,000.

Don't we all wish we could vault back in time to 50 years ago with all the "wisdom" we've accumulated since that time image
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    Just about down to the level of the scene in "Throw Momma from the Train" (coins my father let me keep from change) but I have two coins that have meaning to me that I would't sell - and have survived with me this long - simply because they are not worth selling.

One, a Mercury dime I fished out of change while working in my junior high school cafeteria circa 1960 (and saving from a Whitman folder about 10 years ago before turning completely black) and the other a Civil War token given to me my a coin dealer helping me with my Boy Scout coin collecting merit badge ca. 1962.

Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    This 1807/6 trial halfpenny by Taylor links the original 1806 Soho proofs to the 1807 proof halfpenny which exists only as a restrike. This was one of Peck's unanswered questions (cf p.383) and was my first meaningful contribution to general numismatic knowledge when published in the BNJ.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I do not have one coin that I would hold until the end, BUT I would never sell my aluminum collection for nuthin'! I am working on photographing it piecemeal and will shortly start a new topic showcasing the collection. As it stands now, I have about 1200 pieces give or a take a few. Most of them are XF or better and very common. There are a few which would cost a pretty penny to replace though! It has even taken precedent to some rarities I am parting ways with now. Sorry no pictures. -Dan

• Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    I would not want to part ways with this one. It is my favorite.

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

For sentimental not monetary value.

• Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    FilamCoins,

That coin is beautiful!