Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

FSH: Japan's Bicolor Clad Coins - New Prices!

Greetings! Here are all 10 prefectures of the 500-Yen coins that have so far been minted in the Japan Mint's "47 Prefectures Program". These are the business-strike, bi-color clad coins from the program, only.

My Usual Terms: All prices include delivery. 7-day return guarantee allows return of an item for full price refund. Payment preferred by check or money order, but Paypal accepted. If by Paypal, please add 1.5% to split the fees with me. Please contact me by PM to reserve your coins and arrange the details.

Coins set in cards. Here are the 1st year coins (Shimane, Hokkaido and Kyoto), and 2 of the 2nd year coins (Ibaraki and Nara). "Buy the coin, not the holder", but these holders sure are pretty, too! Info on the reverse of the cards is in English, not just Japanese. 2 available of each, $18 each card

2008 Shimane

2008 Hokkaido

2008 Kyoto

2009 Ibaraki

2009 Nara

The 2009 Four-coin set: Nagano, Niigata, Nara, and Ibaraki. While they are not proofs, the clads in these sets appear pleasingly proof-like! 2 sets available, $60 each set

The "circulating" coins of 2010, Fu-kui, Gifu and Kochi. The business-strike clads are distributed raw at face value by banks and the Japan Post, limited to 2 coins per person. (Only the 2010 coins are in current distribution.) Unfortunately, not all the clerks who distribute these treat them as collectors would: some coins may bear traces of fingerprints. Satisfaction guaranteed, though - if you don't like yours, I will accept a return and make a 100% refund of the purchase price. 5 available of each. $10 each, or set of 3 different for $25

2010 Fu-kui

2010 Gifu

2010 Kochi

Coins in the Prefectures Program have a common reverse. For the business-strike clad, a "latent dual-image" is incorporated as a deterrant to counterfeiters. At certain angles, the number "60" appears, but at other angles, it changes to the number "47":

imageimage

Meanwhile, at most angles no number at all is visible in the center:

(An American blogger living in Japan wrote this succint background about the three 2010 Prefecture issues:
Info about the Gifu, Fu-kui, and Kochi subjects...)

A regular Pawlonia Leaf 500-Yen clad coin, 2009 (Heisei Year 21). It's a recent year of the regular 500 Yen coin, which is not part of the 47 Prefectures program. Somewhat circulated, but still nice with bright fields. 1 available for $8:

imageimageimage

As shown in the far-right image above, the Pawlonia Leaf 500 Yen coin also has a "latent image" feature. It reads "500 Y" in one direction only, on each "zero" in "500".