Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Street sweepers in TN find a 1736 Louis XV ecu

video link

Try not to cringe when the guy rubs his thumb all over it, or when the newscaster says, "I imagine they won't be street sweepers for long" (as if they could retire on the proceeds from selling it).

I think these guys will be disappointed when they learn it's not worth a millionzillion dollars. Still a cool find, though, and from what I can tell in the video, it looks real. I don't think it had been buried and washed out of the ground, though. While that's possible, I think it would have been much darker. I'd bet on it having been a more recent loss. Of course, we might be seeing it after Mister HappyThumbs has already cleaned the heck out of it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Mister Happy Thumbs!!!! LOL!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Mister Happy Thumbs!!!! LOL!!! >>

No relation.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mister Happy Thumbs!!!! LOL!!! >>

No relation. >>

Touche!
  • Options
    Definitely a cool find even if they won't be able to quit their day jobs as the reporters hinted. I'm just thinking though, was Smokey Mountain country in Tennessee a French stronghold in the 1730s-50s or so? Maybe so-- I guess the British hadn't settled that far west yet, and that was kinda French trapper country?
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was posted on coinflation, where the commentator suggested it's a modern Chinese fake. Even linked to a fake offered on eBay, IIRC.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    OH MY GOD! Why doesn't he just dig his thumbnail into the face?

• Options

<< <i>Was posted on coinflation, where the commentator suggested it's a modern Chinese fake. Even linked to a fake offered on eBay, IIRC. >>

Sadly, as many chinese fakes as there are out there, I'm sure there will be many more stories like this as they get chucked out for being worthless by some and a new found "treasure" by some unknowing passerby.

Edited to add: "That is, if it is indeed a modern fake."image