Home U.S. Coin Forum

So who's going to the Philly Whitman show this year?

I know it is a WHOLE month away... but it never hurts to plan ahead image Who's gonna be there? ...Sept. 30 thru Oct. 2/ Thurs - Sat

I'll be there at table #329 ... please stop by and say "Hi!" image
Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image

Comments

• njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    I will be there the whole time.

Table 213.

Stop by and say hello!

njcc
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there, meeting with Whitman authors and helping with various presentations. I'll also be giving a presentation myself, on German imperial medals.

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be there. Im riding my grandfathers unicycle and will be coming in from south jersey. Will bring my banjo and trained squirrel monkey along too (just for laughs).

Is it true the Rolling Stones will be playing at halftime?
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaEagleCoins, Are you wearing your signature hat as the fate of the show depends on it image

Seriously I had a great time at last years show and plan on being there for the whole show image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

• << <i>SeaEagleCoins, Are you wearing your signature hat as the fate of the show depends on it image

Seriously I had a great time at last years show and plan on being there for the whole show image >>

Unless we get a late-season heat wave I will be wearing the Brown Leather Hat ™ image

...and ambro ... I sure hope not about the Rolling Stones... most over rated garage band in history IMHO ... image (heck, I'd much rather see Madonna... or Lady Gaga even... better yet, though... how about Madonna singing with the used-to-be-Grateful Dead? Now that would be cool... )

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • I'm the VP of the coin club running the front desk (Atlantic County Numismatic Society). I'll be there.
    imageimageimage
  • wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there working in the Wayne Herndon Rare Coins, Dick Osburn Rare Coins or Wizard Coin Supply booth.

WH
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope to make an unscheduled visit on the bourse floor...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be there doing a presentation on the First United States Mint and Frank H. Stewart, the man who tore down the first Mint in 1907 and later wrote its history.

Following that will be a walking tour of some of the sites discussed in the presentation, followed by a private viewing of some of Stewart's collection at Independence Hall.

The fun starts at 1pm on Friday!
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Me, too. Please stop by and say hello.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I *might*, but best chances are not.

If I make an appearance, it'll be on Saturday. My first priority is making sure my kid has done what needs doing. Here's to hoping for a light homework load.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will not be there in any capacity. No onsite grading and no onsite submissions.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But Don, where else ya gonna get a Philly soft pretzel??

.....and I was actually gonna come and bring my 1863 gold dollar with for a 'second look'.

youre gonna miss my squirrel monkey crawling all over ya too. Im training him now to give people a shave with a straight razor. Scary Fun to say the Least...... image
  • DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    I have been asked in a PM why PCGS will not be coming to Philly.

Originally PCGS was scheduled to attend and grade onsite. But we later found out that the show had been rescheduled to the week following Long Beach, much to our dismay. It is impossible for us to grade at shows on consecutive weeks. We have a large amount of equiment that neeeds to be crated and shipped several days ahead of each show. Not to mention a couple dozen people that have to be moved around the country.

Plus having shows on consecutive weeks is bad business. It's bad for all the participants. Dealers in particular have to fly across the country and have no time to organize and prepare between shows or else they choose between the two shows. Not a good situation. So PCGS is choosing between the two. We will support the Long Beach show.

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Hmmmm....The solution seems simple:
    1. prepare a traveling set of basic equipment that can easily be shipped to shows.
    2. preposition display and support materials in storage facilities near major show sites.
    3. train locals in major show cities to do basic support work that is now done by PCGS staff. Use them instead of shipping staff around the country.
    4. assess frequency of use and revenue of services and equipment. Cut low use/low revenue offerings.

On a less practical note, if you put staff in wooden crates, they can be shipped at lower rates than as airplane passengers. If they live in the crates, they can be available on short notice ... just drill air holes and a potty hole.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RWB has been sniffing way too much of that archive dust again image

Seriously, there should be scheduling coordination between all the major auction houses & convention organizers. Whether that would violate anti-competitive laws I am not sure, but it would make sense for the collecting public.

OK….but if PCGS used a few bucks to hire a consulting logistician or operations planner, they might easily solve the problem and improve the bottom line.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be there at table #545 with plenty of Bust and Seated silver coins for sale. Please stop by and say hello!

I am disappointed that PCGS will not be there, as I normally do most of my submissions to PCGS at shows.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• It would make a lot of sense if the organizers of the major shows in the coin industry could get together on an annual basis to divide up the times of the year they are hosting their shows. Unfortunately there's Long Beach and Philly back to back and CoinFest and Baltimore back to back. It's unfortunate for those in the industry that attend these shows on a weekly basis to have to deal with these schedules. A little cooperation and communication would go a long way in these situations.
  • It would make sense for the PNG to offer this communication service amongst the major shows. The PNG dealers would definitely appreciate the results that could be possible with this communication.
  • I'm expecting to be there, wholesaling on the floor.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I will be there image
    Larry
    tables 108/209
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    David Lawrence will be there through the weekend. Stop by and say hello to John & John!
    John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I will be there Thursday and Friday.

I will be in Atlantic City on Wednesday. Anybody can join me there if they wish.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will be there Thursday and Friday.

I will be in Atlantic City on Wednesday. Anybody can joon me there if they wish. >>

Joon me????
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Anyone else? image
  • ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I will go again, just to stand in front of Mr. Cline's table again and drool at the SLQ's. I'm just not in the income bracket to buy brilliant FH's, mine are all circulated.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll be there doing a presentation on the First United States Mint and Frank H. Stewart, the man who tore down the first Mint in 1907 and later wrote its history.

Following that will be a walking tour of some of the sites discussed in the presentation, followed by a private viewing of some of Stewart's collection at Independence Hall.

The fun starts at 1pm on Friday! >>

This sounds interesting. It can be billed as, An Afternoon with Coinosaurus™
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I won't be there...hoping to be able to get to CoinFest, might not have any money to spend. Time will tell.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really sorry to have to miss this show again! But this year it coincides with the Buena Park show (which is local to me and a show I try not to miss) but even more importantly, it's the same weekend as the rescheduled Tom Petty concert!!!!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

• << <i>I'm really sorry to have to miss this show again! But this year it coincides with the Buena Park show (which is local to me and a show I try not to miss) but even more importantly, it's the same weekend as the rescheduled Tom Petty concert!!!! >>

Don't back down, Charmy ... just keep Running Down a Dream... image

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom Petty! They cancelled their show last Long Beach (on me)
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tom Petty! They cancelled their show last Long Beach (on me) >>

I know, sorry about that Rick! Tell you what, this American Girl will venture Into the Great Wide Open and have a Last Dance With Mary Jane in your honor while all the rest of you Philly show Refugees are Runnin' Down a Dream!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Anyone else?

That's not going to see Tom Petty instead... image
  • I will have a table there for the whole show. Dave W
    dalias13@hotmail.com
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    I'm presenting Friday and Saturday at 12 noon:

"Royal Portraits: Medals of the German Empire"

In the 1800s and early 1900s, thousands of different medals were struck to celebrate the German royal and imperial families. What do these regal portraits tell us about Germany and the German people? What cultural messages did they reinforce, and why? And as the Empire began to fall apart during World War I, how did those messages change? Award-winning researcher and writer Dennis Tucker will share images from his collection in this richly illustrated presentation.

• I hope to make it this year Fri and Sat as a spectator. I will be there in my green jacket and rubber chicken like when I was in Baltimore. I hope to see you guys there. Dont worry the chicken wont bite. Ive been feeding it since getting it from MadMarty.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
    I got there last week....but the show wasn't open.
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flying in Wednesday evening and will be there till Friday. (although I'll spend most of my time at the Stacks auction)

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm strictly a "gazer", but if I can get free entry again this year, I'll go to look and dream..........image

• << <i>I'm strictly a "gazer", but if I can get free entry again this year, I'll go to look and dream..........image >>

Better to be actively gazing... than just taking up space and glazing image

• << <i>In addition to the aforementioned and very real logistical problems, Collectors Universe owns both the Long Beach Show and PCGS. It is surely at best a secondary gain based on a rare conflation of events, but it won't hurt PCGS to lessen their positive impact on a venue set up deliberately as an East Coast alternative to Long Beach.

Whitman is trying to make its East Coast shows have the drawing power as of the Long Beach shows, so draining away dealer attendance to Phila. strengthens their franchise while weakening that of CU's.

Not the only reason for the show. A Phila. show helps avoid some potential Baltimore sales tax problems. Baltimore, a much more established Whitman show, is but a month after Phila. so East Coast customers still get an end-of-year opportunity for on-site PCGS services. Major dealers and their customers have already devised tactics for dealing with bi-coastal service issues. Isn't the Invitational only two weeks before LB? Basta!

Enlightened self-interest suggests we'll get a higher level of service if the resources of graders and support staff aren't over-utilized. Perhaps even world class graders (excepting the ever-vibrant Miles)lose some of their mojo being hit with a mass of high-power items two weeks in a row. Jet-lag can result from either the hydrostatic tension of any flight or the disruption of circadian rhythm created by time zone chages. Try combining the two. Even if one were instantaneously teleported to the East Coast, getting up at 4:30 PST sharpens very few minds or bodies. It's just not the same as eating lunch at "Chinez" and going home to the wife and kids each night. >>

If you are not THE Mr. Taxay, you sure write like you might be...

With that said... welcome to the forum...

...and are YOU planning on making it to Philly?

...or might the jetlag be a bit too tax-ing? image
  • MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    i will be there on Friday and Saturday looking for more capped bust dimes, so make sure you bring them
  • Phili is the same market as Baltimore. I believe Whitman made a huge mistake not cancelling at least one Baltimore Show. As dealers stop having good shows becaue of saturation, they will be forced to do this. If I recall the reporst from the summer show were dismal at best.

It sure looks like they are out to attack Long Beach for what its worth. Truthfully, having major show without PCGS is empty and not really a major show.

I have no plans to attend Phili. even thoguh it is within driving distance.
  • delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    I'll be at the Baltimore show.
  • rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there at table #108/209
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in shock!

Now I understand when my friend said he saw Elvis alive!!!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't find the hours of the show or the dealer schedule on Whitman's site... does anyone have a link or has it just not posted yet image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

• << <i>I can't find the hours of the show or the dealer schedule on Whitman's site... does anyone have a link or has it just not posted yet image >>

Try This image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file