Home Precious Metals
Options

Tale of two dealers

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
I mentioned last Friday I'd bought a 5, 2.5, and 2 peso gold coins at my favorite B&M the middle of last week:

The 2 peso is a tiny coin--just under 1/20th of an ounce AGW. .0482 of an ounce.

When I bought the coins, gold was ~$1225. $1225 x .0482 = $59.06. I paid $60 for the 2 peso. My dealer bought them 10% back of melt earlier in the day and was happy to flip them to me for the $25 or so profit.

It's been several years since I had any fractional Mexican gold and these struck my fancy. My dealer didn't have any more, so I reluctantly headed to the other B&M that I've sworn over and over I'll never set foot in again.

Lo and behold, she had a 2 peso in the case. I asked to see it: Absolutely identical to the one I'd just bought.

I asked for a price and held my breath. She got on to her computer, pulled out the calculator, and said...

$79.

I thanked her politely and walked out of the store.
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thanked her politely and walked out of the store. >>

That is the way you train that B&M dealer to give you better deals. Weiss....you are the B&M coin dealer whisperer.image
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice

I got my 1/10 AGE and Krugs at the BM I found by me finally. Swapped silver and a twenty, but hit $120 + 130 for what would still be $150~ each delivered via apmex.

$19 on a 1/20 is a bunch difference. Good call.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> My dealer bought them 10% back of melt earlier in the day... >>

And you condone this?

So, when you sell them, are you going to request to be paid 90% of melt, so that the next owner can get a great deal also???

But seriously folks, the first guy was too cheap. The second guy was too expensive. Neither price made economic sense.

If I want to buy 2 Pesos wholesale, I can get a 200-coin lot from Dillon-Gage right now for +6%, and I only have to tie up $12,627 worth of capital to get that price. Sell one coin, and I only have $12,564 or so tied up in the other 199 pieces. Gold will keep going up, right, so that I can't loose any money on this deal?

Of course, I could buy fewer coins for inventory so that I still have some when customers want them, but then the cost per coin would go up.....

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think 10% back is outrageous on a small purchase of unusual gold.

And I'd gladly have paid 10% over melt for the three pieces.

But the second dealer wanted, what, better than 30% above melt?

That's outrageous.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    NMimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.