Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Tell me about Irish coins...

... seem to be from the 20's, have a sow and piglets, only found one piece in the HA archives.

Update! Just found a great site with modern Irish coins, lots of pics!!

Comments

• Options
    This is an interesting series.

I'm helping my brother in law, who's a W.B. Yeats fan, put together a set of them.

Right now it's #1 in PCGS registry, most likely won't stay that way :+)

Link
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    All I can tell you is that they should all be in mint condition, because the Irish don't like to spend money at all. image

I used to work for an Irish cmpany, when it came time to pay the dinner bill they all suddenly had to be somewhere else.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago I completed the Irish predecimal series in three Dansco albums. Everything from 1928-69. Those three albums are both a type AND date set. It was a lot of fun. When I say I "completed" them, I mean I had everything but the 1943 florin (Dansco put a "plug" in that slot of the album, since there are only 35 or so of those known). I did have the 1943 halfcrown, of which only around 500 are known.

That set was a lot of fun. Irish predecimal coins are a good-sized collection that offers variety and challenge and fun designs, and despite the challenge, I was able to complete the set (with the exception mentioned). Mintages are pretty small for a lot of these coins, but they're out there for the seeking. I actually had trouble finding some of the most modern stuff from the 1960s- the coins that were only worth a buck or so in Krause at the time. They were cheap enough that nobody was listing them individually on eBay, yet tough enough that I had a hard time finding them for a while. Eventually I had to pay 5-10x catalog for them.

I would imagine the site you found is John Stafford-Langan's excellent website?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect them casually

edited to add:

I like the simple designs and the Florin is my favorite- with the Harp of the 1d a very close second

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A few years ago I completed the Irish predecimal series in three Dansco albums. Everything from 1928-69. Those three albums are both a type AND date set. It was a lot of fun. When I say I "completed" them, I mean I had everything but the 1943 florin (Dansco put a "plug" in that slot of the album, since there are only 35 or so of those known). I did have the 1943 halfcrown, of which only around 500 are known.

That set was a lot of fun. Irish predecimal coins are a good-sized collection that offers variety and challenge and fun designs, and despite the challenge, I was able to complete the set (with the exception mentioned). Mintages are pretty small for a lot of these coins, but they're out there for the seeking. I actually had trouble finding some of the most modern stuff from the 1960s- the coins that were only worth a buck or so in Krause at the time. They were cheap enough that nobody was listing them individually on eBay, yet tough enough that I had a hard time finding them for a while. Eventually I had to pay 5-10x catalog for them.

I would imagine the site you found is John Stafford-Langan's excellent website? >>

BOOKMARKED! I wasn't aware of this site, good info...
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A few years ago I completed the Irish predecimal series in three Dansco albums. Everything from 1928-69. Those three albums are both a type AND date set. It was a lot of fun. When I say I "completed" them, I mean I had everything but the 1943 florin (Dansco put a "plug" in that slot of the album, since there are only 35 or so of those known). I did have the 1943 halfcrown, of which only around 500 are known.

I would imagine the site you found is John Stafford-Langan's excellent website? >>

>>

Notice that the listed prices are about five times Krause for the 1969 to 1990 moderns.

He appears to be somewhat behind the times as his prices are less than half what are
    seen in some other publications.

If you only paid five or ten times Krause you did quite well.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might add that gemmy coins generally aren't too tough but true gems will prove elusive.

Most of these don't appear in mint sets and can be tough even in very attractive grades.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And one thing to watch out for with the sets in the little green envelopes (which I guess were quasi-official sets assembled post mint, as they often have different dates in them), is that those cute little green envelopes positively ooze PVC. There are probably lots and lots of otherwise-nice MS Irish coins out there with PVC contamination. I've never personally seen any that had gone really nasty, but acetone is advised if you suspect PVC.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.