Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Question about "low ball" offers..

If a card typically sells for $300, and a seller has a $1000 bin on the card, would an offer of $300 be a "low ball" offer, since you're asking for a 70% discount off his asking price?
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Worst he/she could do is block you...and that might not be a bad thing if that is typical of his/her prices.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • 99% of people who have Buy It Nows with Make An Offer available are well aware they are highballing everyone or else it would be pointless for them to include the Make An Offer gimmick.
  • jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    the answer is NO
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Give me the card and grade I can let you know if the card "typically" sales for $300....is it a rare issue? Is it an ultra high grade? Has it ever sold for $1,000 ever in the cards sales history, maybe more? Is it the only one listed or is there several and it is the highest? Too many variables involved.....
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    There are a few times I was able to get the card for 25%. These were pretty much like the case you note where the item is overpriced.

An example of this was a 2000 Donruss Graded Cade McNown BGS 10, the seller wanted $60 for. I offered $15 and he accepted. In straight auction, I think the card fails to get $10. I am pretty sure I am the only collector of the set...and McNown isn't popular.

(So ignore Jivan). If you think the card is overpriced, offer what you think is fair.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Two weeks ago a seller had a pair of cards which typically sell around $80 - $100 each. They were each listed for $500 obo. I offered $85 on each and the seller accepted both.
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    If the card typically sells for $300 then just go buy one for $300 and don't bother with the one listed for $1000. When you try selling it for $600 you can reference the one selling for $1000 and if your buyer complains they typically sell for $300 tell him to go buy one for $300.
  • Never hurts to try Kb..only takes about 2 seconds.

You might annoy the seller...but if a seller is not smart enough to set automatic rejections (which I think it makes you do now?), then the seller is likely upset about 100 other things as well.

If things clearly in your control upset you, then you are likely someone I would not want to hang around.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see anything wrong with offering what the card may typically sell for regardless of how high the BIN is.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Give me the card and grade I can let you know if the card "typically" sales for $300....is it a rare issue? Is it an ultra high grade? Has it ever sold for $1,000 ever in the cards sales history, maybe more? Is it the only one listed or is there several and it is the highest? Too many variables involved..... >>

Hypothetical situation. Card is not rare, and has never sold for more than $400 based on 3 or 4 years of sales history.

• Morning,
    And it depends on how long it has sat in My Store. If a card hits one year, I will take about anything on it just to move it out!!
    So you never know!!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I'm not asking as to whether the seller should sell the item, I'm trying to gague what the "offensive lowball offer" treshold is that gets folks to thinking about block lists and such.

• drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    there's no way it can be lowball unless you are offering a drastically lower price than the typical market value. Your $300 offer on a card worth $300 can't be a lowball.
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    I don't know why anybody would block you but what is the danger of you ending up on the $1000 guys blocked list. You're obviously not getting the card from him for $300 so just go to the other people selling them for $300 and buy one. If all the other $300 cards aren't the high quality you're looking for, and the quality you're looking for always goes for more than $300, then offer more than $300 if you like his card.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Honestly, when I had a store and took BIN's, I either accepted or declined them. I never sent an email to the offerer regarding his offer. Doing so is not constructive and nothing good comes from it. It is YOUR best offer, so by definition if you want the card, offer it.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the seller is reasonable, your offer shouldn't shouldn't affect how he responds. It gets on my nerves when someone lowballs me AND sends a note demanding that I sell them the card because his offer is FMV. Another way to get blocked is to reference a useless SMR value.
    Mike
  • low balls = higher sperm count
  • If it's a Stasburg, he'll accept it.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I check VCP. If the offer is 50% less than what the LOWEST dollar amount the card has EVER sold for according to VCP, I get a little miffed, but don't block.....if the offer is 80-90% less that what the lowest price the card has ever sold for, then that would get a block. Anything close to VCP average will get accepted by me....
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Hell, I purchased something at 5.2%, some crazy number near that, once. If the offer is legit, a knowledgible, reasonable seller will take it seriously, no matter the percentage.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone blocks me I will refuse to bid on his items ever again.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• The only thing worst then a low ball offer...is no offers.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If anyone blocks me I will refuse to bid on his items ever again. >>