Home Sports Talk
Options

The Big Ten is about to ruin the greatest rivalry in sports.

RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
Looks like the Big Ten will move the Ohio State-Michigan game from the last game of the season and put the teams in separate divisions. This is one of the biggest WTF decisions in my sports lifetime. All so, maybe, on the off chance, OSU and Michigan might meet in the conference championship game down the road. Unreal.

Bo and Woody are doing about 10,000 RPM's right now in their resting places. Sad.
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    It's called a "Protected Crossover Game", which is surely what they will do if this does happen.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    And I thought you were referring to Northwestern/Indiana.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    It's sort of a one way "rivalry" until Michigan can make it a game.
  • Options

<< <i>It's sort of a one way "rivalry" until Michigan can make it a game. >>

They will! Eventually, Ohio State had a rough time of it with Cooper the same as we are having with RichRod.....

-John
    -John Stevens
    Ebay ID: jrconcessi

Collecting 1993 Finest Refractors & All Refractors 1993 - 2001, 1964 Topps Psa 8.5 or Better
    Soon to be Collecting 1966 Batman Color and all Hall of Famers in all Sports in as High a Grade as I can Afford.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    The "protected crossover" is the key here. When the SEC split into 2 divisions, they allowed each team to have an annual game with 1 team in the other division. That way, you didn't have to interupt Georgia vs. Auburn which is the oldest continually played game in the conference or Alabama vs. Tennessee who hate each other more than words can describe. OSU v Michigan will, under any structure, play every year.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Dumbbbassses
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is bigger than the Big Ten- the problem is money and how to get more of it and nothing is as important as money to feed greed.

Tradition in sports has been and will remain for sale

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    The Big 10 is about to ruin the annual Liverpool/Everton game? Man, that Jim Delaney sure has long arms!
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>The problem is bigger than the Big Ten- the problem is money and how to get more of it and nothing is as important as money to feed greed.

Tradition in sports has been and will remain for sale >>

100% true and the main reason they will always have the OSU-Michigan game annually.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever it is...for sure it's all about the money.
  • Options
    The Game will always be played, but it must be the last regular season game. No exceptions.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Greatest Rivalry in Sports?

I disagree. In-state rivalries are much more intense-Auburn/Alabama-Oregon/Oregon St, and that's just college football. What about Duke/NC basketball, Red Sox/Yankees, and Lakers/Celtics?

I bet I have not watched OSU/UM game in 10 years. Of course, it's been a while since Michigan has been relevant.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

They will! Eventually, Ohio State had a rough time of it with Cooper the same as we are having with RichRod.....

RRod wishes he could do as well as Cooper (who won three Big Ten titles and is in the College Football HOF).
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>The Game will always be played, but it must be the last regular season game. No exceptions. >>

That's what Army and Navy thought for a few decades.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    It clearly is among the greatest rivalries in sports-

Michigan has had some rough seasons, but still holds a significant advantage in the series.

Tradition trumps relevance and frankly it is very disappointing to see memories as short as what is reflected within this thread.

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Game will always be played, but it must be the last regular season game. No exceptions. >>

well played sir.
  • Options

<< <i>It clearly is among the greatest rivalries in sports-

INDEED.

Michigan has had some rough seasons, but still holds a significant advantage in the series.

>>

Not in the last 50 years.
  • Options
    And we exclude the prior 50 years because...well... why?

Tradition starts from day one... and that does not change.

Let's add another interesting fact-

There was a time when Illinois and Ohio State played each other every year and that rivalry - played every year had a streak that exceeded Michigan

• Options
    If we are going to limit what is relevant in College football to the last 50 years... well I am not willing to go there.

• Options
    You absolutely count the last 50 years - or really, post WW II, as more relevant, because prior to that time Michigan was beating teams such as "Physicians & Surgeons" (this is true), lol.

Post WW II, the modern era of college football, Ohio State holds a slight advantage but the more important point is it is during this era that the series became what it is today, the greatest rivalry in sports. Notwithstanding Michigan sucking lately, they'll rise again. When Tressel retires, lol.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    Sorry Ron- it all counts

Going back 50 years takes us to the 1959 season- WWII ended in 1945- OSU and Michigan was a big game well before WWII- If it wasn't, then the USC-ND game is a bigger sporting event.

Woody's first season was 1951- many grat and significant games happened before then- especially the snow bowl at Columbus in 1950 in which Michigan won 9-3 and went on to beat heavily favored Cal team in the Rosebowl

The reasons it counts seem clear to me-

College Football, like any other sport went through an evolution to get where it is today.

Coaches like Rockne and Zuppke started to change the offense and a great foundation was created for future coaches that made great contributions-

Players like Red Grange brought the game and the excitement to a national level- The 1924 game at Memorial Stadium when Grange had over 400 total yards and scored 5 touchdowns (against Michigan)

In the 1930s, the UPI and AP established a Poll

The Heisman Trophy was first awarded in 1936- lets not forget Nile Kennick- the 1939 winner that lost his life early in WWII- a moment for those that were around then will not forget.

Otto Graham
    Glen Davis and Doc Blanchard-

Coaches like Lynn Waldorf, Bud Wilkinson and Ray Elliot among many others- the contribution they made is what makes the game what it has become- don't discount the games, what transpired and the tradition that makes tradition what it is

Forget these guys and these games? Not me

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. One big reason Nebraska left is because the Big 12 ruined the Oklahoma-Nebraska rivalry.

By the way, next year the Big 10 should be called the Big 12 and vice-versa, right?
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Leave it to a coin-douche to bring up the 1800's...
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coinkat makes some very valid points. College football was a big deal long before the Fifties. Large stadiums were built to allow for larger crowds, it was big business. Many legends of the game from earlier times are still talked about today. However all time records do not always describe things as they are today. Some things that makes this a great rivalry is that it is a hard fought well played game usually with a lot on the line. Even if one team seems superior we know you can throw out the records as there have been many upsets. That team from up North may have a better overall record but it is a result of getting a large lead at the beginning of the rivalry. I just checked and the record for this game during my lifetime is OSU 31 wins, those guys 29 wins, 3 ties. Some of the luster of this game could be lost if Tressel doesn't retire in the next fifteen years and OSU takes the overall lead in wins.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    The Michigan-OSU game will remain the last game on the schedule for both Schools as long as the AD's from both schools control their own destiny- the game may be played after Thanksgiving and that is fine- even for the Big Ten

• Options
    jeffcbay:

Are you that far removed from the past that you are just unable to appreciate the evolution of sports?

• Options
    BTW, there was another thread that discussed the OSU-Michigan rivalry not too long ago... And to Brick's point there are upsets, well played games and games that will never be forgotten for those that were either at the game or saw the game on TV. The two games I will never forget were in 1968 and 1969- both OSU an Michigan fans that remember will have something to say- perhaps the greatest modern blow out that insured a National Championship followed by an upset that perhaps exceeds the Mets Orioles World Series of the same year.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Leave it to a coin-douche to bring up the 1800's... >>

WTF? Where did you go to school -- University of Phoenix?

Sincerely,

Nebraska '86
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with coinkat here. If you are going to talk about tradition you have to go all the back and count all the games. You can't pick and choose your time periods to suit your needs or your team.

JMHO