Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Octagonal Gold Coins from Iran dated 2535?

I recently received these proof gold coins as a gift from my mother who acquired these coins while she was a teenager living in Iran with her family who was there on business. I don't really know much about them and I attempted to translate the date and I came up with the year 2535? On the reverse it also says 900 in the small oval which I presume means that it's .900 gold and it says BANK MELLI under the buildings on the reverse. The larger coin weighs approximately 10g and the smaller one is approximately 5g.

Just wondering if anyone has any information on these that would help me understand what I have here. I'm guessing these probably aren't worth much more than melt value, but as they were a gift they're not going to be sold in any event. I am considering getting one of them or both slabbed by PCGS under the current quarterly special, will PCGS slab these??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1976, in a move which no doubt added to the anger from Islamic militants, the Shah decided to change the official calendar from the Solar Islamic calendar, based on Mohammed's departure from Mecca, to a new calendar based on the birthday of the first Emperor of ancient Persia, Cyrus the Great. Year 2535 in this new calendar converts to AD 1976. The change was largely ignored by the general populace and the Shah officially changed it back to the Solar Islamic calendar just before he was deposed.

It appears to commemorate the 50th anniversary of he reign of the Pahlavi Dynasty, who also founded the National Bank at the same time (so it's also the 50th anniversary of the Bank). While there are some gold coins listed in the catalogue as having been struck in that year for the jubilee, none were octagonal. It appears that your item is a medal, not a coin. As such, I don't think PCGS will slab it. Example ex-eBay sale in 2009.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, I appreciate the info image

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are handsome pieces.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, they are pretty cool... I like the octagonal shape and proof gold always looks cool to me, regardless of who minted it.

Anyone know what it says on the coins?? I'm guessing it's written in Farsi?
  • Options
    AmigoAmigo Posts: 966

Those are really cool. You won't have any problem getting over melt in my opinion.

I was over there in 1978. I purchased 4 common gold coins. Came back to the States and put them in the SDB. I tried finding them a couple years ago to take photos, but alas, they seem to have disappeared. Hope you have better luck storing yours.