Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Internet Card Shows

I saw this site that had something like an online sports card show going once but it was never working when I looked.

If someone serious and smart with coding and junk could put something together where you were in a virtual room and could virtually visit dealer (aka people on this board) "tables" and each table would have a chat moderated by said dealer and you could display cards for sale and offer prices and junk...would that be cool or is eBay pretty much the same thing?

Comments

• Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    damn, you are one bored dude
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Sounds kind of cool, actually. It wouldn't have to be just for cards; you could generalize it for any product. Instead of text chatting, you could have video sessions for talking to the dealers: real-time questions-and-answers, haggling, images (e.g., may I see the back of the card?), etc.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I really like this ideal.

Have it set up like Sims or something like that, so that you actually have to walk around from table to table. I like the thought of avatars rather then video. Dealers would have actually tables with simple table top card displays. You could click on any card to bring up a larger image, info on it, and links to purchase or make an offer.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Okay we got three fans, now we just need someone to set it up. Holla?
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    it would be awesome....saturday morning internet card show....the dealers could photgraph an arial view of all the cards on there "table"...you could "arrow " left and right through all the dealers tables...when you found something you like you "chat" or instant message the dealer....pay the dealer with paypal and he mails it to you monday morning !!!!!

how do we set up such a thing?
    I have trouble attaching a photo to a e mail !

and how do we get the buyers to come see what we have for sale ?
    are we charging admission?

sounds like a great idea...give it ten years...some one will open a site that host this type of flea market .
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    That would be GREAT! My wife would divorce me because of all the time I would spend on the site, though. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    Not sure if this site is still active but I remember seeing this when I was about 14.

The Card Show
  • Options
    They used to have them on several sites around 2000. Ebay killed them.
  • Options
    or you could promote a card show at your local mall. It's not too expensive and definitely less than what it'll cost to do an eBay thing
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Does the site have a feature that would recreate the stench of beer, cigarettes and 3-day-old BO from some of the card dealers?
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>or you could promote a card show at your local mall. It's not too expensive and definitely less than what it'll cost to do an eBay thing >>

Only that would not help accomplish what the OP wanted.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.