Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin shops in Bakersfield, CA, Pismo/Morro Bay/Cambria area?

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm leaving Saturday to spend a week in beautiful Bakersfield, CA, along with a couple of days at the coast. Are there any B&M's in either of those areas that are worth checking out?
You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drive north and see Logan....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>Drive north and see Logan.... >>

He's already found all the VAMs!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly!! He has what you need.....

There is a show at the CC mint we are both attending this Fri and Sat.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    Mikes Coins in Bakersfield, fair selection of collector coins in the $50-$500 range, not a lot of slabs. Good prices.

Southwest Coin and Jewelry in Bakersfield, good selection of better slabs( you need to ask to see them), not much in raw. Closed mondays. Fair prices.

California Coin and Stamp in San Luis Obispo, good selection of collector coins in all grades and price ranges, full retail prices with no discounts.

No coin shops in Morro Bay, Cambria or Pismo

TRUTH

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm leaving Saturday to spend a week in beautiful Bakersfield, CA, along with a couple of days at the coast. Are there any B&M's in either of those areas that are worth checking out? >>

I think this is the first time I've ever seen "beautiful" and "Bakersfield, CA" in the same sentence.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been a few years since I've lived in Pismo, there's Frank Coins in San Luis Obispo, a shop in Grover Beach on the main drag and another shop in Santa Maria...don't remember the name but I bought an 1853 $1 there.
  • Options

<< <i>It's been a few years since I've lived in Pismo, there's Frank Coins in San Luis Obispo, a shop in Grover Beach on the main drag and another shop in Santa Maria...don't remember the name but I bought an 1853 $1 there. >>

Uhhhmm. Well, you haven't been on the Central Coast for at least 5-6 years. Santa Maria Coin closed up overnight about 6 years ago. The coin shop on Grand Ave in Grover Beach closed about 7 years ago. Frank Foxx owned it, had brain cancer and died. There is no Franks Coins in SLO for the last 9 years I have lived on the Central Coast.

TRUTH
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhh, the only place Bakersfield might make you not wish for at this time of year is West Texas. I had to work and live at the Motel 6 south end of town for an entire summer on a contract job once. you might want to try looking through rolls from some of the banks around there...

Think I would bias my time to San Luis if possible; most of the interests there non-numismatic IMO.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's been a few years since I've lived in Pismo, there's Frank Coins in San Luis Obispo, a shop in Grover Beach on the main drag and another shop in Santa Maria...don't remember the name but I bought an 1853 $1 there. >>

Uhhhmm. Well, you haven't been on the Central Coast for at least 5-6 years. Santa Maria Coin closed up overnight about 6 years ago. The coin shop on Grand Ave in Grover Beach closed about 7 years ago. Frank Foxx owned it, had brain cancer and died. There is no Franks Coins in SLO for the last 9 years I have lived on the Central Coast.

TRUTH >>

Your timeline is exact....lived there until 2005. Sorry to hear that about Frank. So there are no shops in the Central Coast area?
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, Santa Barbara beckons...1103 State St. is Gillio's (well, checkered history there) & Brombal's on about 3600 State St.

SB a lot better bet than Bakersfield BTW!!!!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey, Santa Barbara beckons...1103 State St. is Gillio's (well, checkered history there) & Brombal's on about 3600 State St.

SB a lot better bet than Bakersfield BTW!!!! >>

There just might be time for a trip to Santa Barbara- never thought about that. My dad and his side of the family all live in Bakersfield. He's the outdoors columnist for the newspaper there, and has dove and pig hunts set up for us, so I'll be spending most of the time in Bakersfield... certainly not the prettiest place in CA, which is why I made time for the trip to the coast!
  • Options

<< <i>Hey, Santa Barbara beckons...1103 State St. is Gillio's (well, checkered history there) & Brombal's on about 3600 State St.

SB a lot better bet than Bakersfield BTW!!!! >>

Gillio is no longer on State Street. He moved his operation to down the street, around the corner. Don't expect them to show any collector coins. Carry about $10K, and they might pull some bullion $20's from the back room.

Bromball is OK, but know what you want since they have boxes of everything US to foreign and will not pull out coin boxes for perusing. Busy place.

TRUTH
  • Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭
    Less then 2 hour drive to Fresno, Fresno coin gallery and Gem coins within 3 blocks of each other.
    AL
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

TRUTH >>

Your timeline is exact....lived there until 2005. Sorry to hear that about Frank. So there are no shops in the Central Coast area? >>

I recommend these shops for the collector:

California coin and stamp. SLO All grades, raw and slabbed. Retail prices.

Santa Barbara coin and stamp, Santa Barbara. Mostly collector coins in the $50 price ranges, prices are negotiable.

Paul Brombal, Santa Barbara. All grades, mostly raw, few slabs. Retail prices. Know what you want before entering the door.

TRUTH
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Mike's Coins in Bakersfield is now out of business.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file