Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Round and round it goes- where it lands, nobody knows!

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
Quick (true) story: Last August or so I bought an ACG MS67(!) 1964 Kennedy. The color looked killer and surprisingly, real. Closing bid? $9.99. Ok, so now I'm into this one for $13.00 (with the postage).
I get the coin and really like it. With the help of a fellow collector I submit this one to PCGS for crossover (at 'anygrade', of course!). PCGS denies entry stating, AT. Shoot. I was hoping the color was real (rainbows).
Well, not to just give up I crack that Kennedy right out of it's ACG slab and send it into NGC on my three coin Express free service I get for signing up with them. Coin comes back... MS65! Cool! Now I've got a nice little wild color coin!
Should I? Sure! Back it goes to PCGS, now in it's NGC holder and whallaa... PCGS MS65! Round and round it goes- where it lands? Nobody knows! Well, except in this case.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the coin AT or not to your knowledge???

Tbig
  • Options
    Yes, Tbig, I'm pretty sure it is.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    That is scary. I sent in a crackout that was an 1886S SEGS MS61DMPL and it came back an AU58!! Talk about a heartbreaker. I've requested another look, and hopefully it will change. I thought it would 62 for sure. To their credit though I also sent in 2 NGC 63's, another pcgs 64, and an anacs 62 I believe it was, and they all came back at the same grade. They were crackouts, and not in any hllder when I sent them. The 2 63's were pretty heavily toned and not very attractive. I thought after a quick "washing" they might upgrade to 64's. No such luck.
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Yes, Tbig, I'm pretty sure it is. "

Braddick: This story really doesn't bother me that much for these reasons:

1. Even YOU are not sure if the coin is "AT"
    2. The coin in an NGC-MS65 has a value of around $10 (excluding color)
    3. The borderline "AT" coins really can go one way or another depending upon the team of graders reviewing it.
    4. Even giving the coin a "market grade", $10-$15 value wouldn't prevent a grader from calling it MS65

With all the attacks on the grading companies for "body-bagging" coins, what is their downside to slabbing a "$10 coin"? image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Well, the story wasn't meant to bother you Mitch, so we're safe there.
    And, you're right. It very well may NOT be AT. It very well could be absolutely real colors. image

peacockcoins

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, the story wasn't meant to bother you Mitch, so we're safe there. >>

With all due respect, that cracked me up!!

Tbigimage
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    I guess spread enough "love" around, and you're eventually rewarded -- would llike to see a photo of that one!

This one lived in a couple different holders too, though never an ACG one, to the best of my knowledge. image

Kennedy Half Dollar 1965 SMS PCGS MS67