Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Which dealer has the BEST QUALITY for what you collect ?

I try to collect the finest Lincoln cents,Indian cents,half cents and Barber dimes. It seems almost impossible to find high grade early mint mark Lincoln cents. The same is true for Lincoln cents and half cents. The finest quality coins seem locked up in private collections.

Stewart

Comments

• Options
    I am building a type collection. Joe O'Connor and Legend have been the most helpful dealers in finding good material.

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Jimmie Sego. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Stewart:
    Someone you already know and deal with, Brian Wagner, Brian Wagner Rae Coins. He's built my entire Matte Proof Lincoln McCullagh Collection Registry Set. He along with Laura Sperber, Legend Numismatics (two of my finest coins are from her), are the very best in the business as far as quality in the series I collect.
    Jonathan
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Must I throw Legend in again? For seated dollars there is none better.

Well maybe TDN, as he gives me many leads, but he's not really a dealer. image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    The Smithsonian.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for the opening of "Stewart Blay Rare Coins and Collectibles." Then I will let you know.
    Doug
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Stewart,

I am also at a point in my collecting needs, that there appear to be no specific dealers I look to for upgrades in my sets. Before Don Willis went to PCGS, he was the Man for me in Early bust.

I will probably not acquire more than a handful of coins in the next year. I only boght 3 this year.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm waiting for the opening of "Stewart Blay Rare Coins and Collectibles." Then I will let you know. >>

Yes, Stewart... are you a dealer?

edited to add: I don't know whether I was drinking or what when I wrote the above, as keeping ol' Brian Wagner off the top of my list just isn't right. Also, Rick Snow, Evan Gale, Andy Skrabalak, and Charmy Harker are the real deal. image
  • Options
    Legend. They have sold me coins that I have even gotten upgraded (2). When they say its high end, you can take it to the bank (or NGC or PCGS)!

My most recent purchase, an 1882S NGC MS67 $1 is incredible! Laura said I would love it, and I do!

• Options
    Legend. Working with Laura is always a pleasure!
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stewart, I assumed they were all in YOUR collection. What lincoln could you possibly NOT have at this point???

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manny Acosta at Huntington Beach Coin Ex... One of the best dealers I go to for my type set. Whether it's classic US gold, or early proofs type. image
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    I was getting ready to list them and then I thought, dang, I got bids out. image
  • Options

The finest quality coins seem locked up in private collections

Funny, that is exactly what I was thinking, although with a slight variation. My thought was more along the lines of, "The finest quality Lincolns seem locked up in TWO private collections."

Jack

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick Snow and Heritage/Bowers & Merena are where I get many of the coins for my personal collection, also Brian Wagner. Also Stacks and Goldberg auctions are where I find my Conder Tokens.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A person whose customer service skills and prices are both awful. As a result I rarely buy from him... and only then when someone else is manning the table and I find a variety to cherrypick.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    R.Tomaska deals in the best toned Franklins money can buy
  • Options
    Alan Hager...if he doesn't have what I need, he just prints up an insert and "makes" one.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website