Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

TTM disasters or disappiontments

I started getting into the TTM earlier this year with my nephew basically with the help of all the nice people here. We've had some great success from player we both like and also from HOF's. I always read the great success stories that guys have on here but never the disappointments. I'm not trying to be negative, just thought we could give each other warnings of who might not be signing TTM.

Great returns so far for us. Football card from LT Taylor, Peyton Manning and Steve Young. Baseball HOF Billy Williams and Bobby Doerr also sent back our cards.

Disappiontments are not many. Don Shula didn't return our card after we wrote him a 2 page letter. Maybe it was all the questions we asked him about his great career and football history that upset him.

We also sent a 1950 bowman and 1952 Topps I inherited from my uncle in 1999 to Bobby Shantz. We also sent him a nice letter asking questions about his career but got nothing back. Maybe because the cards were in such pristine shape, however opened up his mailed pocketed them. Who knows.

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Does Don Shula or Bobby Shantz have a history of signing TTM? Or did you find the address and assume he would sign?

My disappointments mostly stem from people sending me a different signed item than what i sent, even though I have said I need this specific card/pic signed. And its not a secretary stuffing presigned mail, because what they sent was personalized. I don't have a problem with personalization, I just want my item signed.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I use to mail 100s a week. Never really expected anything, meaning it was always no biggie if nothing came back.

I suppose the only disappointments were the ghost signers that are really good, like the person Bob Hope had.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    I agree! We have had some come back smeared but I still consider it a return. Scott Norwood is the only one to send a different card back.

From what we heard, Bobby Shantz and Don Shula do sign. In fact, a co worker friend of mine sent Bobby a few cards right around the same time I did and got his back within a week. The cards he sent though were beat up and not too desirable. Maybe I shouldn't have sent the 1950 Bowman and 1952 Topps cards in mint condition. What the chance he opened it and decided to keep them? I would like to think that didn't happen.
  • Options
    Wade Boggs was signing everything sent to him until I sent him a PSA 9 crackout Topps rookie. Been 9 months now.

Sent Tim Raines a 1981 Topps Traded rookie with his requested $10 donation. He cashed the $10 check in February but never returned the card.

Will Clark was one of my favorite players in the hey day of card collecting. Mailed him a 1987 Donruss in January with no response. He lives a little over an hour from me. Should have just drove to his house.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Cubfan89,

Your PM's are turned off or I would have PM'ed you instead, but I remember your nephew trying to get Scott Norwood and he wouldn't do it or wouldn't sign the card he wanted or something to that effect. I just wanted to let you know that if you still need him, that he is doing a signing at the Bob Feller Museum on November 6. It is a paid signing, but I've been told that it's pretty affordable and that he will be doing "Wide right" items or inscribing "Wide right" for a nominal additional fee if you are still interested. The Feller museum does take mail order and if you are so inclined you can google their URL and get info.

Good luck!!

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    I have a few.

Mailed Andre Dawson and Kent Hrbek rookie cards on the same day, both with $10 cash donations with "donation enclosed" written on the envelope. Never saw either again.

Sent Michael Cuddyer a game used ball from the game in which he hit of the cycle. Two years later, no return. That cost $50

Sent Andy Pafko his 52 Topps to be signed. Not looking good on getting it back. That cost $60.

Sent a ball already signed by Branca to Bobby Thomson. Rest in peace Bobby.

And while I am at it here are a few disaters averted.

Sent Stan Musial a ball to sign and personalize to my son for his birthday. Included a fee but didn't add anything additional for the personalization. Received two balls back, one signed "happy 70th birthday", the other signed "happy 7th birthday". He signed on the sweet spot and inscribed on the side panel so the ball in error still displays nicely.

Sent Tom Brunansky his game used glove to be signed. A few months passed, I figured he decided to keep it. Finally showed up in the mail. Post marks show it was held in the San Diego post office for over a month.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    CubFan,

Unfortunately, not getting items back is part of the game. If you can't afford to lose the card ... DO NOT SEND IT. I know how disappointing it can be, especially for your son. My youngest daughter sent out three letters to actresses back in March 2009 and still has not gotten any response.

I began my TTMs in March 2009. The majority were sent out in the first year. To date, this is where I stand:

912 - # of TTMs I sent out.

349 - # still outstanding.

189 - # that are outstanding for MORE THAN ONE YEAR.

GOOD LUCK!

PS Bill ... I sent Boggs a Rookie card on August 10, 2009 ... I sent 2 Rookies to Will Clark on August 22, 2009 and then two more on May 28, 2010. Still nothing. Probably 5 rookie cards down the drain.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>CubFan,

Unfortunately, not getting items back is part of the game. If you can't afford to lose the card ... DO NOT SEND IT. I know how disappointing it can be, especially for your son. My youngest daughter sent out three letters to actresses back in March 2009 and still has not gotten any response.
    >>

Which actresses?
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Three big disasters over the past five years. Can't complain since I know the risks of TTM and I've had my share of amazing successes. The disasters are:

1 - Sent Orville Moody a US Open golf flag (he is the 1969 Champ) already signed by 22 guys including Palmer and Trevino. That was 4 years ago. He died 3 years ago. AFter 4 months I called to follow up and his wife said she hadn't seen it.

2 - Sent Oscar Robertson a 1970-71 Milwaukee Bucks Program signed by the whole team except Kareem and him. That was 8 months ago. Not coming back. Included $20 in cash

3 - Sent Jim McMillian a 1971-72 Lakers Media Guide signed by Jerry West, Gail Goodrich and Bill Sharman (all HOFers). That was 9 months ago. Not coming back.

That's probably $1,000 worth of stuff there. Oh well. I'll still send out multi-signed stuff. With some guys, it's the only way to get them.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I sent Neil Armstrong a moon rock and it came back with no signature, but had a brown looking milky substance on it. Odd.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Where do you find the addy's for these people?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>CubFan,
    >>

Which actresses? >>

On March 16, 2009 Francesca sent out hand written letters to the following individuals at the address next to their names:

Brenda Song (Actress) - c/o Curtis Mgmt, 9607 Arby Dr, Beverly Hills, CA 90210
    Ashley Tisdale (Actress) -c/o Warner Bros Records Inc, PO Box 6868, Burbank, CA 91510
    Jordin Sparks (Singer - American Idol) - 6635 W. Happy Valley Rd, Suite A 104-614, Glendale, AZ 85310

She was 9 when she sent them out. She is now 11. Safe to assume they are not coming back?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Where do you find the addy's for these people? >>

There are several sources. One is StarTiger.com Cost is less than $40 for the year.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Back in the heyday of Bo Jackson, I mailed him a card to get signed. I received the card back several weeks later unsigned along with a nickel. I guess they figured they could buy me off. I threw the card away a long time ago, but that nickel still remains in my collection.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I've had two TTM's that I've sent to Shula. First a letter with a custom IC and asking if I could forward his Philadelphia "rookie" card. I received a reply in a matter of weeks with a the IC signed and a note on his letterhead stating that he would be happy to sign the card. I sent the card and he signed it and returned it in about two weeks.
  • Options

<< <i>Three big disasters over the past five years. Can't complain since I know the risks of TTM and I've had my share of amazing successes. The disasters are:

1 - Sent Orville Moody a US Open golf flag (he is the 1969 Champ) already signed by 22 guys including Palmer and Trevino. That was 4 years ago. He died 3 years ago. AFter 4 months I called to follow up and his wife said she hadn't seen it.

2 - Sent Oscar Robertson a 1970-71 Milwaukee Bucks Program signed by the whole team except Kareem and him. That was 8 months ago. Not coming back. Included $20 in cash

3 - Sent Jim McMillian a 1971-72 Lakers Media Guide signed by Jerry West, Gail Goodrich and Bill Sharman (all HOFers). That was 9 months ago. Not coming back.

That's probably $1,000 worth of stuff there. Oh well. I'll still send out multi-signed stuff. With some guys, it's the only way to get them. >>

Oscar doesn't sign TTM. Why would you even waste your time with that one?? All that hard work shot to hell.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Three big disasters over the past five years. Can't complain since I know the risks of TTM and I've had my share of amazing successes. The disasters are:

That's probably $1,000 worth of stuff there. Oh well. I'll still send out multi-signed stuff. With some guys, it's the only way to get them. >>

Oscar doesn't sign TTM. Why would you even waste your time with that one?? All that hard work shot to hell. >>

Because I had got this back from him a year earlier...I thought he may be open to signing stuff already signed by several teammates:

• Options
    Got lucky on that one image
  • Options
    I used to have great success with hockey players. I tried with several baseball players and had moderate success, but the one major disappointment was Jose Canseco.

back in 1989, I sent a 1988 Donruss to him to get signed. A month later, I get the card back signed, with two letters. The first was from his marketing company (40-40 or something like that) stating that they, not Jose Canseco, went ahead and signed my card for me and if I was interested in having Canseco sign for me it was going to cost. The other letter was the price list, starting at $100 for his sig on a supplied card and exponential increments depending on what I sent. I think a bat was $500 or so...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I sent to Bobby Thomson 3 days before he died. Im sure I will get my stuff returned as refused. RIP Bobby!
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Here's the card I got from Shula, I think it only took a week or so. Try him again.

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Oscar doesn't sign TTM. Why would you even waste your time with that one?? All that hard work shot to hell. >>

Oscar will occasionally sign a freebie, and I know someone that has gotten him on a 61 Fleer rookie card by sending $100 (he'll sign his full name that way and not just Big O). I've got an unsigned Oscar rookie that I'm going to be sending as well along with $100 as soon as I give up on him doing a show. I keep hoping he'll pop up at a show for a sure thing, but so far to no avail. My patience will eventually wear thin on waiting for a show appearance and I'll take my chance TTM with the donation. The card basically means nothing to me long term unsigned as I don't collect unsigned cards, so I'll take the chance if I have to.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Be sure to update me on that Mike. No only do I need a RC signed (I'd REALLY prefer a show), but I have reassembled the whole 70-71 Bucks team on a media guide. Just missing Big O and Kareem. Oh, also a heads up, I may make the same deal w/ HOF Sports for Magic that I did w/ Bird. If you need any oddball Magic RCs signed, LMK. I'm sort of testing the waters on this one.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip Mike! I'll have to turn the pm on, had no idea. I agree with the guy who said to never send anything out you'll miss. I learned the hard way. I never would have guessed Bobby Shantz would have just took my uncle's cards and kept them for himself
  • Options

When you mail something to someone unsolicited, you are giving it to them by law. I am not sure why you would ever expect a stranger to do something for you (and thousands of others like you).

Many do, which is nice. Follow along the auto forums and you can likely hit a 95% success rate. It is not a negative on someone choosing not too. You do not know his life situation and the like.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    I spent 2 years building a signed set. Took me 6 months of that to track down a variant of one of the cards and really wanted it signed to go along with my set. Sent the guy 2 regular versions of the card and told him he was welcome to keep them, and to please sign the other and send it back. He was a good TTM'er too. Sent me back one of the signed regular versions with a note that he was going to keep the #'d one and thanked me very much. Awesome.

I guess I can't blame anyone but myself for sending it. Worst part is it was #'d and only 4 exist. I'll never find another one.
  • Options
    I understand all of that, but it's tough to think people actually keep stuff sent to them when it reality it isn't theirs. By law...maybe it is. Or maybe I was raised different with integrity or something.
  • Options

<< <i>I understand all of that, but it's tough to think people actually keep stuff sent to them when it reality it isn't theirs. By law...maybe it is. Or maybe I was raised different with integrity or something. >>

But apparently you were raised with the belief everyone owes you. This is not the first time you have suggested you were cheated because someone did not give you something or did not give you want you wanted.
  • Options
    Nobody owes anyone. After you kindly ask for a signature and somebody for what ever reason doesn't want to, they SHOULD send the items back to the owner. Not think 'oh, these are nice. I think I'll keep them'

There's right and wrong. That falls under the wrong.
  • Options
    Nobody owes anyone. After you kindly ask for a signature and somebody for what ever reason doesn't want to, they SHOULD send the items back to the owner. Not think 'oh, these are nice. I think I'll keep them'

There's right and wrong. That falls under the wrong.
  • Options
    Your assuming the player or whoever even opened your letter. If I didn't sign, I likely would not open them. How many your the greatest, you where my favorite as a child letters do you really need to read?

And again, he (the fictious player I am using) would not be taking anything...you gave them to him. If you meant to give them or not is completely desides the point. The law is very clear here.

Don't you understand you are not the only person sending out request? It is not, if the player can take 30 secs. to answer YOU, it is if the player can or wants to take several hours every week to answer everyone.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    still waiting on a 52 topps pafko, been a few months image
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Will Clark was one of my favorite players in the hey day of card collecting. Mailed him a 1987 Donruss in January with no response. He lives a little over an hour from me. Should have just drove to his house. >>

Bill, you sure that's the right address?

From what I understand, Will Clark lives in Prairieville, which is right down the road from me, but across the state from you.

If it's a north LA address, maybe it's hunting property?
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    It's a basic understanding, if you cant afford to lose the item, don't take the risk and send it.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>still waiting on a 52 topps pafko, been a few months image >>

also a couple 52 hi numbers...this is getting expensive
  • Options
    Wayne Gretzky Being an Autopen and Bill Walsh being an Autopen.