Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Is this a [u]pattern[/u] Queen Anne Farthing?

Received the latest London Coins catalog today, for the September sale,
and this interesting farthing jumped off the page at me. I'm guessing it's
a pattern because the only QA 1/4d I've ever known about has been the
standard-issue 1714. (Sorry to report that I've never owned a Peck.)

Anyone out there got some background on this, or a web site I can browse?

Here's the sale catalog description: "Farthing 1713 Obverse 4 Reverse D
Large flan with the edges coarsely filed Peck 756 VF Very Rare £350-500"

If this is Reverse D, how many others are there? Are they all different?

Thanks in advance, and best to all ~
Tom

imageimage

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.

Comments

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    I thought all were considered patterns; IAE, here's a large listing of the various permutations.
  • Thanks for that excellent reference, Mac!

Just browsing so far, but I particularly liked Cooke's
    description of #487 and its "Small, neat Britannia."

That's as compared against all the slovenly Britannias
    we usually encounter, right?

Ho ho...

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    The reverses on these are lettered A-F, the description sounds like P756, however the flaw across the top of the reverse is missing. Only one previous specimen, in silver, was noted by Peck, however it is possible this is another. This is actually listed as EXR (Excessively Rare) by Peck, and it is Obverse 4*. The other one it could have been does not have filed edges, and has obverse 4 (before some rust appeared on the throat and chin thus becoming 4*) and the same reverse before the flaw developed. This is part of the Group 3 series of farthings believed restruck by Bush sometime between 1737 and 1745.

And you really should get Peck, really a pretty good read.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The reverses on these are lettered A-F, the description sounds like P756, however the flaw across the top of the reverse is missing. Only one previous specimen, in silver, was noted by Peck, however it is possible this is another. This is actually listed as EXR (Excessively Rare) by Peck, and it is Obverse 4*. The other one it could have been does not have filed edges, and has obverse 4 (before some rust appeared on the throat and chin thus becoming 4*) and the same reverse before the flaw developed. This is part of the Group 3 series of farthings believed restruck by Bush sometime between 1737 and 1745.

And you really should get Peck, really a pretty good read. >>

Indeed!! And, I'll be listing a duplicate copy in the next few days so let me know if you might be interested. This one is from the ANS Library deaccession by Charles Davis several years ago, and contains some annotations which I presume reference part of the ANS collection.