Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lucretia Garfield "got her doo touched up!" ......wowza First Spouse candidate designs!!!!

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
I give the first ever, First Spouse Hairdo medal to Lucretia Garfield. image

"Nine proposed designs were created for the Lucretia Garfield First Spouse Coins — four obverse and five reverse. The Commission of Fine Arts preferred and recommended the second design (#2) obverse portrait, feeling it was the most pleasing of the group, and that her hair in the design did not have 'undue emphasis.' " image

coinnews link

Comments

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    The last one resembles Jed Clampett's do when he spiffied up for something.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is it that John Tyler is the only one that could sniff out foxy mommas?
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Run Forest...Run!
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    Jed Clampett, that's good. My first thought was that looks like it could be a guy.
    Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    I vote #3
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    The last one resembles Jed Clampett's do when he spiffied up for something. image
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Lucre, I'm home. You got some doo to be splainin'!
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait until they get to Jackie.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The last one resembles Jed Clampett's do when he spiffied up for something. >>

• Options
    Lucretia will sell out tomorrow! LoL! Not!

Beautiful hag equaling low mintages a year from now! But...the 2012 Alice Paul and Frances Garfield's are looking just a slight more babe-like next year (can't wait!). --aap
  • Options
    The winning design

I almost forgot tomorrow was piss off the wife day.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    the low relief makers her look elderly and sickly as compared to the pencil sketch.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Ugh. This series is about as artistically inspired as the presidential dollars.
  • Options

<< <i>Wait until they get to Jackie.

image >>

That one's going to sell out quicker than that ASE set thing. image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options

<< <i>Ugh. This series is about as artistically inspired as the presidential dollars. >>

Whaddya mean? The woman's painting on the reverse! image

Yep. Pretty blah.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options

<< <i>Ugh. This series is about as artistically inspired as the presidential dollars. >>

I just wish the series would have had a stable obverse :. They could put the silly "action" scene on the reverse or even the mugshot, but a stable obverse would have helped the line tremendously IMO. I'm buying 1 Garfield for my MS set, but I'm certainly not loading up on her.

At the same time though the First Spouse series did give us this *beautiful* subset. I'm really keen on the Jackson coin in particular as it has Old Hickory on a horse on the reverse:
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The winning design

I almost forgot tomorrow was piss off the wife day. >>

Yet another example of the failings of the current design/engraving/production process.
    Evaluating potential designs on the basis of a pencil drawing is silly, given that the drawings
    have shading that can not be replicated on a metal surface (like a shadow cast below the nose,
    and a dark iris).

Add to that the situation where a US Mint engraver has to sculpt a design that was drawn by somebody else
    (no artist really likes to do that), and you have a recepie for "meh" at best.

The designs need to be reviewed in 3-D form, and the artist that creates the design should be the same one
    that sculpts it.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Other than the 4 coin Liberty subset (which should really be 5 with a late 1800's Liberty, pardon my political incorrectness, Alice Paul!), this is a long boring series, with few collectors willing to shell out the many thousands of dollars required to complete it.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file