Home Precious Metals

Fortune calling gold a bubble

DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last one/page in the article, so if you want to see the other ones use the back buttons above the charts.

Linkadoodle

Comments

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    "Meanwhile, small investors have stormed in."

Usually this is an indication that the bubble is about to burst, but the sovereign debt crisis in Europe is far from over, so I don't think were near the end.

"Gold has already started slipping. It declined 6% in July to a recent $1,160 an ounce."

Yes it did, and it has been recovering ever since.

I agree the price is inflated due to insecurity in currency and financial markets, but it's not like housing bubble (i.e. there's nothing artificial driving it).

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • An economic bubble (sometimes referred to as a speculative bubble, a market bubble, a price bubble, a financial bubble, a speculative mania or a balloon) is “trade in high volumes at prices that are considerably at variance with intrinsic values”.(Another way to describe it is: trade in products or assets with inflated values.)

While some economists deny that bubbles occur, the cause of bubbles remains a challenge to those who are convinced that asset prices often deviate strongly from intrinsic values.

Perhaps some feel that we are in a "speculative bubble", and that gold is not priced what it is really worth. The contrarians would indicate that the gold asset class is only reflective of the weak global currencies. We'll see who is right in the end.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    itll end. someday image
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And let me guess, they're not calling bonds a bubble image
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And let me guess, they're not calling bonds a bubble image >>

gold, cotton, shale stocks, bonds, China
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    small investors? Anyone actually know anyone who invests in gold? Got any neighbors giving you gold stock tips? People at the supermarket talking about gold?

No to all.

I don't know anyone who invests in gold. Even my wife though I was a quack (until paid for the kitchen remodel with cash after selling a few coins). Gold is so under owned, its scary.

When your neighbor starts asking what gold stocks to buy, then its a bubble. Forbes makes its money by selling stock recommendations, not by endorsing gold.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides precious metals, how many other commodities, assets, consumer and durable goods, skilled or professional labor rates, taxes, etc. are priced within 40% of their 1980 highs? It's probably a fairly low percentage. And I guess Fortune would then conclude that all of them are in a bubble as well. Does it truly cost only 40% more today than in 1980 to mine an ounce of gold?

This article assumes gold is strongly linked to inflation. It's not. If one surveys gold's price vs. inflation over the past 30 yrs one will find almost no correlation - you just as well should flip a coin. But what you will find is that gold has been well correlated to the dollar and real interest rates. The author doesn't understand that gold is a competitor to weakening currencies/lack of confidence in govt. and therefore inflation is not needed to see its price rise. The author doesn't also appear to understand how much the CPI formula has changed since 1980. The CPI is far more resistant to inflation today than it was 30 yrs ago....and that's by design. What govt wants to have a CPI that accurately plots price inflation? That would cost them a lot of money in benefits and cola's. The govt's own misguided CPI numbers show that average prices have increased 2.65X since 1980. So why is it a bubble if gold's peak price to date is 1.45X higher than in 1980?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More disinformation to make those with weak hands fret. I'll keep adding as I have for the last 18 months.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worst thing for higher gold prices would be unbridled enthusiam.image

That article should make gold bugs smile. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I sure havent' made enough money for it to be a bubble!image
  • I don't see no stinkin' bubble.image
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what if it is? Ride the bubble up, just be sure to get out and go short at the top. That is how fortunes are made.

The key question is, are we at the *top* of a bubble?

I don't think so.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont see gold or bonds in a bubble, except for some emerging market debt, whose yields are scary low. Spasiba. image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Bubble, bubble, toil, and trouble?

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i don't see any manic buying or trading...yet

the small investors storming in are like a dust devil
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is no surprise that paper bugs call gold a bubble. When have they said otherwise?

PMs are the one part of my holdings that have made money this year (interest on CD's hardly counts).

I'll just keep adding Au and Ag as cash flow will allow.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy sees no real problem with Treasury debt. All is well. Carry on.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing scares me a little about the current extended high commodity prices. CHINA.

Currently there are about 62+ million housing units in China that have not had electrical service for at least 6 months...AKA -vacant

There are also about 50+ million housing units coming on line via developers. Possibly more vacancies.

The housing bubble in China may be coming soon.
    How will that affect the world commodity demand?
    Have a nice day
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing scares me a little about the current extended high commodity prices. CHINA.

Currently there are about 62+ million housing units in China that have not had electrical service for at least 6 months...AKA -vacant

There are also about 50+ million housing units coming on line via developers. Possibly more vacancies.

The housing bubble in China may be coming soon.
    How will that affect the world commodity demand?

High commodity prices are linked to inflated fiat currencies. So if the commodity prices scare you, so should the associated fiat depreciation that caused it. In fact the "real" commodity prices didn't change, only their value in relation to fiat did. Compare their prices to gold over the past 10 yrs to see how their "real" price changed.

China may be in a housing bubble but I don't think they got there with liar loans and other gimmicks. They also are required to put significant skin into their housing. They shouldn't get whalloped to the same degree the US did. Plus they are in their infancy in building infrastructure for a rural population that wants to become middle class. They may have a housing bubble similar to what the US went through 20 yrs ago...and then recovered from. But it would be best if they didn't recover from their coming housing slump using the gimmicks we did in the 2003-2007 period.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    China also has about 900 Million people who literally poop in a hole in the ground. I'm betting that's a whole lot of copper needed for indoor plumbing.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>China also has about 900 Million people who literally poop in a hole in the ground. I'm betting that's a whole lot of copper needed for indoor plumbing. >>

Ok, that was funny and there are germs of truth in that statement.image I'll be there next week. I'll do a head count. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    China is strongly encouraging its citizens to purchase gold as the average worker in China has no retirement plan. I would not be surprised to see China eventually "confiscate" all of this privately held gold. It's their way of "buying" on the open market.

China's real estate bubble is swelling beyond belief. I will be curious to see how they deal with it.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

I would not be surprised to see China eventually "confiscate" all of this privately held gold. It's their way of "buying" on the open market.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Chinese hide their gold in the same hole that I referenced a few posts back. Good luck confiscating that.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would not be surprised to see China eventually "confiscate" all of this privately held gold. It's their way of "buying" on the open market.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Chinese hide their gold in the same hole that I referenced a few posts back. Good luck confiscating that. >>

Don't forget that the chicoms make liberal use of the death penalty, especially economic crimes against the state.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Don't forget that the chicoms make liberal use of the death penalty, especially economic crimes against the state. >>

They don't kill the whole person. They just cut him up for parts.
    Tempus fugit.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Don't forget that the chicoms make liberal use of the death penalty, especially economic crimes against the state. >>

They don't kill the whole person. They just cut him up for parts. >>

......which they actually sell to the wealthy who are in desperate need of a transplant.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone actually know anyone who invests in gold? Got any neighbors giving you gold stock tips? People at the supermarket talking about gold? >>

Love him or hate him, Glenn Beck pimps Goldline daily. And love them or hate them, they have sold a bunch of coin (rumored at very inflated prices) to a bunch of folks who hear every day about how the only safe place to have money is in gold.

So I think plenty of average folks in this country are "investing" in gold.

-Fred

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• There's a bubble alright-- and it's a bubble in lame financial publications.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

They don't kill the whole person. They just cut him up for parts. >>

......which they actually sell to the wealthy who are in desperate need of a transplant. >>

Which works out well for the old dudes since it gets rid of some
    of the competition for the young women and gives them more
    time to do it.

It's win, win, win, for every'body" and returns much needed foreign
    currency for the country. Well... ...at least... ...no one is complaining.
    Tempus fugit.