Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bought a Gretzky RC tonight...probably paid too much...but feel sorry for the other guy! :/

Hi, so I've been in the market for another one of these. Because my personal collection doesn't consist of graded cards anymore, I am concerned only about eye-appeal/centering/authenticity/. Also, the card must have the blue first print streak on the back (which this one looks like it does).

So, with that said, I know I probably paid too much for this raw Gretzky link but it has everything I want in this card. I will send it to PSA asap just to see what it gets...if it's too low a grade I'll probably crack it out and put it in my album (which is what I am expecting will happen).

I thought after the fact I would check out the current completed auctions and see if he sold any others recently and I found this reprint that, unfortunately, the buyer paid $275 for.

Just thought I'd share. If I could contact that winning buyer I would.

Thanks,

Patrick

Comments

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭
    The seller is going to send you one of the reprints that you sold him. It's payback time and karma is gonna get you.
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect very little in the way of hockey...but I am amazed that these so called "rare" rookie cards of players like Wayne Gretzky and Michael Jordan go for ridiculous amounts of money everyday. Since you focus on this card, can you give me a little education as to why that is? At any given moment, you can buy this card in just about any grade you want on Ebay, yes? Please understand, I'm not trying to be difficult or attack you for what you like. I think people should buy whatever card makes them happy regardless of what anyone else thinks.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Because my personal collection doesn't consist of graded cards anymore

I will send it to PSA asap

Patrick >>

???
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Hallco

The cards you mentioned are not rare. They are simply desired by many and thus command a premium.

They might be considered scarce in super high grade, but the run of the mill collector grade examples are

plentiful. Ask yourself this, if you had a few examples of each would you simply sell them as if they were commons?

No, of course not. They command a premium because of who they are and those that have them want that premium to part with them.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Patrick

Why not advise the seller that he sold a counterfeit probably by accident?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Supposed to be graded as well before being sold on eBay.

• Options

<< <i>Patrick

Why not advise the seller that he sold a counterfeit probably by accident?

Steve >>

Can't be a counterfeit as it's stamped as a reprint.

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    you are sooo getting a reprint in the mail...
  • Options
    Nice centering on the card and has nice eye appeal. Don't undertsand why you want it graded? Highest it is going to grade is a 4 maybe 4.5 at best. Corners are rounded and top corner looks like somebody hit it off a coffe table.
    What do you think it's going to grade ? It's not even close to nearmint. Again still a nice card. Just don't see why you want to pay 30.95 in grading fees. 14.00 dollar special and 16.95 shipping.
    Steve
    Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!
  • Options
    Just for the record, the VCP on a PSA 5 is $238.97.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Well, I haven't paid yet, and I did send the seller a message about the reprint (he hasn't responded back).

Hallco - Steve is right (as usual), there are too many people who want this card and that's why it goes for so high. I know what you mean, if it's always available then it shoudn't be so high right? Gretzky rookies have been slightly going down and are not really great investment cards.

Barf - it's funny you showed that image of cards that should be graded before listing on eBay. I called eBay a few months back and asked them on more than one occasion why certain sellers were able to sell it without grading. The answer, both times, was that eBay has its own online authentication team that screens such cards - something I find hard to believe.

ez - Any card like this I would like to send just to see what it gets, but more important, I would like a third party to authenticate it and make sure it's not altered in any way...something I'm pretty good about telling with this card...but being the card that it is I don't mind spending the money to have PSA look at it.

lsu - I know $250 is high, but to find a potential unaltered Gretzky with centering like this, in my opinion, would be worth a premium. I thought about buying a graded one cheaper than this, but can't find one that looks as nice.
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completely agree with ezshooter. The card pictured is legit, but not worth grading.

-Nathaniel
  • Options

<< <i>I completely agree with ezshooter. The card pictured is legit, but not worth grading. It will be a nice addition if the back doesn't hold any nasty surprises, like paper loss or writing.

As for whether there are blue print lines on the back, there is no way to tell from the front that I know of.

-Nathaniel >>

Back clearly shown in listing.

• Options
    Morning,

Not an expert or anything, but the back of the first one looks like somebody really good managed to remove the Reprint stamp.

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Morning,

Not an expert or anything, but the back of the first one looks like somebody really good managed to remove the Reprint stamp.

Neil >>

Neil, I thought the same thing.
  • Options
    commandocollectibles

No longer a registered user
  • Options
    cefy1cefy1 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    He won an item from me about 3 weeks back and never paid. Said he had some paypal stuff to sort out, but wanted to still purchase the item. By the time I followed up he was unregistered.
    Always buying Gretzky PSA Graded

Need some 2007 A&G Regular Back Mini's PM if you have any and I will send my needs list.
  • Options

<< <i>He won an item from me about 3 weeks back and never paid. Said he had some paypal stuff to sort out, but wanted to still purchase the item. By the time I followed up he was unregistered. >>

I'm figuring it was a fund thing.

I do know he sells bootleg DVD's of Metallica and that is risky business on there as many sellers of bootlegs have had their account shut down.
  • Options
    It also looked like this guy was buying autographed pucks with another ID, using them as some sort of template, and then forging some for his own inventory. He was for a fact buying old game tape from this same alt ID and making bootlegged copies to sell under the commandocollectible ID. I called eBay and explained all of this to them and they seemed interested in looking into it.

He bought about $500 worth of hobby products from me with this alt ID when I wouldn't complete the sale of the Gretzky, then held feedback against me if I did not pay him for the card. Called eBay and they took care of this very quickly. He ended up leaving for the hobby purchases an "X" on my feedback, positives, and 5 stars on each. eBay credited all FVF and listing fees. Even after this the guy kept sending me messages asking for me to leave positive feedback for the Gretzky!
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He won an item from me about 3 weeks back and never paid. Said he had some paypal stuff to sort out, but wanted to still purchase the item. By the time I followed up he was unregistered. >>

I do know he sells bootleg DVD's of Metallica and that is risky business on there as many sellers of bootlegs have had their account shut down. >>

And Metallica hates bootleggers, he better watch out Lars might get him with drum stick to the eye.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>

<< <i>

I do know he sells bootleg DVD's of Metallica and that is risky business on there as many sellers of bootlegs have had their account shut down. >>

And Metallica hates bootleggers, he better watch out Lars might get him with drum stick to the eye. >>

• Options

<< <i>And Metallica hates bootleggers, he better watch out Lars might get him with drum stick to the eye. >>

Metallica is a bunch of money hungry jerks. They don't care about their fans, only how much money they can suck out of them. Lars is the whiniest crybaby voice rock and roll ever heard. image