Home Sports Talk

Will Votto or Pujols win the Triple Crown?

What does everyone think? When was the last time we had not one but two guys challenging for the triple crown this late in the year. As of today, here are their stats:

BA HR RBI
Votto .323 (1st) 29 (3rd) 86 (2nd)
Pujols .316 (4th) 32 (1st) 89 (1st)

Obviously I am pulling for Votto but I think either one has a legitimate chance. Couple that with the battle between the two teams for the division and this is going to be a great next 6 weeks.

Mark
Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably neither, but both have a very good shot at it. Of course, I think you know who I'm pulling for. If I had to guess, I would say Pujols would have the better shot because of his track record. However, his power numbers usually take a hit in September.

Shane

• PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    When was the last time we had a guy with 29 HR's in late August that had a legitimate shot at leading the league in HR's?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Look at all the lower #'s and many more tremendous pitching performances. Drug testing looks like it's working---------------Sad but true.
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When was the last time we had a guy with 29 HR's in late August that had a legitimate shot at leading the league in HR's? >>

I didn't even think about that...good point. Couple that with Pujols is leading the league in RBI's with only 89.
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I'm pulling for Pujols but Votto has had a hell of a year. I would gladly trade the triple crown for the Cardinals to start playing like a contender. Should prove to be a great September to watch.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    No.

Don't forget that Infante is hitting .349. He is 64 plate appearances short of qualifying, but is now playing everyday and batting leadoff. He will at least get close. The rule is that you deem him O for the needed appearances to qualify. If he still has the highest average, he wins the title.

<< <i>I'm pulling for Pujols but Votto has had a hell of a year. I would gladly trade the triple crown for the Cardinals to start playing like a contender. Should prove to be a great September to watch. >>

I know what you mean. Would be nice for Votto to get the Triple Crown but I (and I am sure Votto) would gladly trade it for a WS ring. The Reds once their last one 20 years ago....I have a funny feeling they may do pretty well.
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

<< <i>No.

Don't forget that Infante is hitting .349. He is 64 plate appearances short of qualifying, but is now playing everyday and batting leadoff. He will at least get close. The rule is that you deem him O for the needed appearances to qualify. If he still has the highest average, he wins the title. >>

That would really, really stink if Infante kept Votto or Pujols from the triple crown - especially if he qualified (say) on the last day.

Shane

• KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Looks like Pujols did pretty well for himself last night.

How many points did his avg climb?
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    If Infante his 0.300 from here out and gets the 4.4 plate appearances he needs, he will hit right around 0.330 overall. The Braves average 4.3 PAs per player per game, so if he is leading off he will get the PAs. If he hits 0.350, the PAs won't matter because he will have enough of a cushion to asborb an 0-12 and still hit 0.340.

For Pujols to have a chance, I think Infante will need to slump and miss games. Certainly still possible. He will also need to finish strong and get his average up to at least 0.325. Too many other players lurking within 3-5 points of him right now.

I give Votto almost no chance. Not going pass Pujols in homers. If Pujols hits only two in the remainder, Votto would need six to tie. Tough task. If Pujols hits four, forget it.

If I were setting odds, I'd have Votto at around 1:50 and Pujols at around 1:20.

Both still have MUCH better chances than the person with the best chance most seasons.
    Sagard,
    You put a damper on the Triple Crown. Infante has a comfy lead in the batting race. I would hate to see Pujols lose the batting title with another player having the minimum PA's; but that is the rules so I can't really complain.

On a funny note....Albert picked the wrong time to hit .318.
  • ill predict that infante gets hurt image and pujuls picks up the pace and hits .330
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    It will be a great september thats for sure!

Triple Crown Viewing Party every night at my PAD!

Votto is one heck a player, but Pujols has the Track record to Do what hasnt been done since 1937!!!

• KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Where do you come up with 37 dummy?

Yaz did it in 67.

<< <i>Where do you come up with 37 dummy?

Yaz did it in 67. >>

foot in mouth

ever hear of the NL?

<< <i>Look at all the lower #'s and many more tremendous pitching performances. Drug testing looks like it's working---------------Sad but true. >>

but Pujols 2010 stat line will be very similar to his 2002 and 2007....HE IS AS STEADY AS THEY COME......

STEADIEST PLAYER EVER, most consistent? BEST EVER dare i say?
    I'm not specifically referring to Pujols. I'm just talking about the decline in big numbers across the board.
    Avg up to .320 tonight.

...check that - after a hit in the 9th, he is hitting .322 (3 for 5 tonight).

Shane

Votto just launched a 2 run shot. I know Pujols is probably the popular choice to win but I really like Votto's chances.
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • maxdomemaxdome Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    Their hasn't been a triple crown winner since 1967 and I don't believe their will be one any time soon.
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Votto responds with a 4-7 game with 2 homers and 4 RBIs.

This might go back and forth for the last month. Two great players for sure.

There may not be a Triple Crown Winner because of the other one.
    Votto certainly helped his cause last night. Albert went 0-4.

Shane

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    The real question is what would Fandango do if Pujols got the triple crown? I think that would be a more fun thread!

Infante will have to slump or he is going to ruin any excitement.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    My how the numbers have come down to earth. In 2000, Brian Giles hit .314 - 35 - 123, Moises Alou hit .355 - 30 - 114, and Richard Hidalgo hit .314 - 44- 122. This season, those numbers would be right in the middle of MVP discussion as Votto and Pujols will likely end up with numbers similar to these. In 2000, these three gentlemen finished 19th (Giles), and a tie for 20th (Alou and Hidalgo) for the NL MVP. Todd Helton hit .372 - 42 - 147 and finished 5th that year. He'd win the Triple Crown in a runaway with those numbers this year. I think we are seeing REAL baseball again, and I LIKE IT!!!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

<< <i>Infante will have to slump or he is going to ruin any excitement. >>

Mickey, I agree. Even though it's the rules, it still would suck to see Votto or Pujols lose the Triple Crown that way.

What will be interesting to see is how both guys will react if we get down to the 2nd and 3rd week of September and they are still both this close. Who will crack under the pressure?
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    or who might sit out to help the other win it?
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Infante will have to slump or he is going to ruin any excitement. >>

Mickey, I agree. Even though it's the rules, it still would suck to see Votto or Pujols lose the Triple Crown that way.

What will be interesting to see is how both guys will react if we get down to the 2nd and 3rd week of September and they are still both this close. Who will crack under the pressure? >>

FWIW-both Madlock and Gwynn used phantom ABs to win batting titles.

<< <i>or who might sit out to help the other win it? >>

I have a hard time believing that either would sit out if they had a legitimate shot at winning. Especially if neither team pulls ahead in the division.
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Let me be the first to mention HGH
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Look at all the lower #'s and many more tremendous pitching performances. Drug testing looks like it's working---------------Sad but true. >>

but Pujols 2010 stat line will be very similar to his 2002 and 2007....HE IS AS STEADY AS THEY COME......

STEADIEST PLAYER EVER, most consistent? BEST EVER dare i say? >>

Steadiest player ever = Hank Aaron. He also faced the likes of HOFers Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Don Drysdale, Sandy Koufax, Fergie Jenkins, Steve Carlton, Juan Marichal, Gaylord Perry and Robin Roberts. I don't think Pujols will enter the 'best ever' debate until he's put in at least 17-18 seasons. I also think the steroid era will impact every player who played in the era, regardless of whether or not they took them since there's no way to be sure a player was completely clean (even Griffey).

<< <i>Let me be the first to mention HGH >>

You really think Votto is on HGH? image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • I must admit, I wasn't even aware of the significant Triple Crown threat until just a few days ago. I am a Phillies fan. I'm rooting for Pujols to do it.

Like some others, I also must admit that I hope Infante does not interfere by qualifying for the BA title with significantly fewer ABs than what the Triple Crown contenders have.

So what would happen if Pujols won the Triple Crown but the Cardinals don't qualify for the playoffs, and Votto helps the Reds enough to win the NL Central? Is it then possible that Pujols could win the Triple Crown, but was denied the MVP award because voters gave it to Votto? I'm not asking about what's right or wrong, but voters give an awful lot of weight (some would say too much) to the player that is on the winning team rather than the most outstanding performer. Interesting to consider!

Yep, this helps stave off the anticipation for NFL football.

<< <i>So what would happen if Pujols won the Triple Crown but the Cardinals don't qualify for the playoffs, and Votto helps the Reds enough to win the NL Central? Is it then possible that Pujols could win the Triple Crown, but was denied the MVP award because voters gave it to Votto? I'm not asking about what's right or wrong, but voters give an awful lot of weight (some would say too much) to the player that is on the winning team rather than the most outstanding performer. Interesting to consider! >>

I don't think there is any way Pujols or Votto loses the MVP if they win the Triple Crown but their team doesn't make the playoffs. Pujols and Howard both won the award when their team didn't win the division in the past few years. Maybe the trend is starting to shift back to what the award should actually be: who the best player is in the league and not who is the best player on the best team. At least that's what I hope is happening.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards

• << <i>

You really think Votto is on HGH? image >>

Good one
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I'd like Votto, just to quiet the boards
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me MVP should be the guy who elevated his team the most. I know that is not how it is done. I believe Ernie Banks won back to back years when the Cubs were not even in the first division. I would vote Votto. Without him the Reds would not be in the playoff chase. Without Pujols the Cards could easily fall behind just as they are with him.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    So what would happen if Pujols won the Triple Crown but the Cardinals don't qualify for the playoffs, and Votto helps the Reds enough to win the NL Central? Is it then possible that Pujols could win the Triple Crown, but was denied the MVP award because voters gave it to Votto? I'm not asking about what's right or wrong, but voters give an awful lot of weight (some would say too much) to the player that is on the winning team rather than the most outstanding performer. Interesting to consider!

Yep, this helps stave off the anticipation for NFL football. >>

For what it's worth, Ted Williams won the Triple Crown twice in his career.

He didn't win the MVP either time.

And you're right about football. I have two more fantasy drafts this weekend and am totally unprepared because I can't get away from the Reds pennant chase.

shawn

Bill LSU...i think you are the biggest arse hole going....

it must EAT you inside that you MISSED the BOAT on PUJOLS....

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...hes on steroids..............waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...i dont have any $1000 rookies of his....waaaaaaaaaaa
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Carlos Gonzalez is trying to join the race, but probably can't make up the HR difference in time.....but he will definitely spoil the party in one of the other categories...that guy could be the best player in baseball in the next couple of years...
  • Pujols out of it now with .309 BA. Think the chance of a triple crown is over.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Carlos Gonzalez is trying to join the race, but probably can't make up the HR difference in time.....but he will definitely spoil the party in one of the other categories...that guy could be the best player in baseball in the next couple of years... >>

All of his power is at home, and the Rockies play most of their games at home now. He might still have a shot.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

• << <i>

<< <i>Carlos Gonzalez is trying to join the race, but probably can't make up the HR difference in time.....but he will definitely spoil the party in one of the other categories...that guy could be the best player in baseball in the next couple of years... >>

All of his power is at home, and the Rockies play most of their games at home now. He might still have a shot. >>

Now 7 behind Pujols with 20 games left. Zero chance.

• << <i>it must EAT you inside that you MISSED the BOAT on pujols.... >>

I heard Pujols was signed right off the boat back in 1988 when he was a mere 16 years old.