Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Steve Young Collection

My Steve Young collections borders on the line of obsessive...and maybe crosses it a little, but I am like that with everything.

While I do not worship Young, nor would I even call him the greatest of all time, I do own what I usually refer to as my Steve Young alter.

I purchased a large cabinet at an estate sale, and needed something to keep my Steve Young figures from getting beat up, so I placed all my Young collectibles in it. Well, all that will fit.

It is kind of a disorder mess in the photos, but most like things are somewhat together. Photos do not show everything. Plaques, other footballs, magazines and other various items are not shown, including my raw card collection (~2000 cards).

Who can recognize at least 20 items?

Beside the "alter" are some Young auto prints and the like, and a box with more Young stuff.

Cabinet opened....not a good photo.

Coins, pencils, a few figures, paper plates....

More figures, bears, Super Bowl ticket, Hallmark ornament, a slightly beat up but full energy drink...

More bears, more figures, Action Packed promo sheet...

More bears, more figures, truck, corner of card I could not find....

Card stack is from pack autos.

Steve Young books, scrap books and Young PSA Topps Base set.

Most of my Young graded cards.

Young Mini (JSA/Young holo) and stray figures. The two figures on the side are custom figures in custom boxes.

Box of Young GU cards.

Pins, tins...

figures, Pringles can, couple autos...

Electronic game, football, big Starting Lineup with cloth jersey....

Box with more Young stuff...

T-shirts...

Magazines with Young on the cover..

Magazines with Young on the cover...
Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Nice stuff! You seem to be lacking in the way of BYU and USFL material, though... I can check to see if I've got any extra BYU era stuff. If I do, it's your, but you can't have my Banyans (BYU Yearbooks) although they should be pretty easy to find.
  • Options
    Very cool stuff, but I do believe after your post, if anything ever happens to Steve Young, you will be the first person they come looking for.

1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember hearing or reading somewhere that Steve Young is a distant relative of Brigham Young. What are the details?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>Very cool stuff, but I do believe after your post, if anything ever happens to Steve Young, you will be the first person they come looking for. >>

Do they make human sized display cubes? Hmmm....

I am lacking in BYU and USFL items. Need a BYU mini to go next to the 49ers, and have thought about having a custom BYU figure made. Not a lot out there. I do have a collection of Press Photos, from his BYU and USFL days, a few programs, a few ticket stubs and one program. Not much.

The oldest thing in the collection is a 1980 High School Scouting Report.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options

<< <i>I remember hearing or reading somewhere that Steve Young is a distant relative of Brigham Young. What are the details? >>

He is the great-great-great-grandson. (3 greats).

I think he is currently President or Vice-President of the main church...but the church is not the same as the group that runs the Salt Lake City mormans it appears, as their leader went to jail and the main security guy took over...says 60 minutes.

But yes, he is a direct relative and very religious himself.

Young's wife appears somewhat liberal. She had vote no on Prop 8 signs at the Young estate.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Young's great-great-great-grandfather was Brigham Young, the 2nd President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Joseph Smith was the first President). Steve is not in the Church hierarchy, but holds a position within his Ward and Stake.

Steve is still a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the same as Mitt Romney). The group that Mark mentions was an offshoot and is/was not affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They were a fundamentalist group that used a very similar name and acted as if they were the REAL Mormons although they practiced plural and arranged marriages...

The current President of the Mormon Church is Thomas Monson and he is not related to Steve Young.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Wow I never knew that.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Are we about to see a year of Steve Young?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Pringles can... LOL!!!!
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    I really like Disturbed, but if you have ever been to one of their concerts...no need for a second show. Singer guy repeats everything word for word at every show (like the music is a religion thing) and the set was the same in three shows..and a DVD I have.

Guess I can use this thread to post images of more Young stuff.

Taking images of my figures today...and just noticed these stampers were different. I bought a second so I could have one of the stickers for my Cris Martin/Pro Crown card collection...will have to compare the stickers real close sometime now.

1998 Crown Pro Stamper

1992 Starting Lineup. An ebay seller claims this books for $50. I imagine this is true as it took me a few months to find a nice one for around $25 (with shipping). (Just think, at the time it wasnt a bad looking figure.)
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a really great bunch of stuff.

Magazine covers are an underrated collectable, especially if you're a player or team collector. I have any number of those Athalon, Street & Smith's and Sporting News preview ishes, and I really love them.
  • Options

<< <i>Pringles can... LOL!!!! >>

I bought it from eBay...when it was a new promotion, but empty. Someone I am sure had a laugh it sold. I couldn't never found any around here and looked dozens of times.

Here is a better image of the Energy Drink.

• Options

One of the custom McFarlanes...

• Options
    Got this off eBay for about 10% book a few months ago. A nice Daniel Smith "Run & Shoot" signed print, and it has also been PSA DNA certified.

I would like to get the Daniel Smith 49ers huddle litho sometime.

• Options
    Being made in China helped me...as far as adding another collectible. Upside down 49ers logo. I think I have 10 bears, and I am missing 1 or 2. A Bammer charity bear and a small teddy bear with Young's jersey. I have skipped them several times on eBay as I dont want to pay anything for them.

imageimage
  • Options
    I have always wondered if PSA would grade this sticker as a Steve Young card and let me put it in the registry.

It doesn't say or show Steve, but it cleary is a Steve Young sticker...or in a way half of one.

• Options
    I have a few of these from the Collector's Edge sale. They sent out some "Preview" versions to some dealers, but these are the only "Sample" versions I have seen.

imageimage
  • Options
    Are you aware that Steve Young has a brand new McFarlane Legends figure out? There's a regular one in a 49ers jersey and one Collector's Level (numbered base) of the Buccaneers retro. Also, I believe that '92 figure is somewhat hard to find, you are right.
  • Options
    I just noticed the Young in a white jersey last week. I didn't know of the Bucs Young...will have to keep an eye out for it. I appreciate the note.

McFarlane toys still rule...even if you have to leave them in their package. image

• Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are we about to see a year of Steve Young? >>

I think that's a great idea image

Mark
    Awesome collection --- the odd stuff (and you have tons of it) are the items I enjoy looking at and I am sure you enjoy picking up
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    Wow, that is quite the Steve Young collection you've got there! Growing up a Niner fan, he's one of my all time favs. I'm more into autographed memorabilia than cards, so I'll share my meager Young collection to add to your thread:

BYU Mini-Helmet (Schwartz Sports)

Framed Jersey (GTSM)

Proline HOF Helmet (Mounted Memories)

Super Bowl MVPs w/Montana and Rice (TriStar)
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry this happened to you.

+1 for the old school shoebox
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sorry this happened to you.

+1 for the old school shoebox >>

But don't I lose the point for having it filled with GU cards?
  • Options
    Nice Young autos Vegas. I love the Super Bowl MVP print (and that whole series).
  • Options
    Got this yesterday in the mail, for under $5 delivered. It is a 2005 Pro Football Hall of Fame Crystal (paperweight I guess). All the "writing" is laser engraved inside and was done in three layers. Crystal is numbered 128 or 375 made and came in a small velvet box.

• Options
    Two nice Photo File 8x10s...I think 1994 era. Have not seen these for years so I don't think they are selling them anymore (?). (Too lazy to check.)

Not sure why they have no Photo File NFL hologram/logo. Maybe that is something new from the last decade?

• Options

Steve Young 49ers mini with JSA in person COA/Holo and Steve Young Holo.

I might now be the second biggest Steve Young collector...as the guy I considered the second biggest collector appears to have dropped out. He has been listing all his rare stuff on eBay the last week. (seller: whysteve). It is the top dog guy that has always outbidded me on most of the really cool stuff...so it likely doesn't matter much...but it can't be bad for me. (As far as getting more Young stuff).

• Options
    1996 Score Board Steve Young Plaque.

• Options
    I only have 4-5 Steve Young 1/1's. Here is one of them. Can't ever seem to win them.

imageimage
  • Options
    Are you bidding on any of his items? I might be looking for a few for my Young collection and don't want to bid against you.
  • Options
    Got a cool football yesterday. The Football Hall of Fame induction week includes a different HOF sponsored event every day. Tradically, the HOF Game, the first game of the NFL is played Monday (I am pretty sure it was Sunday this year) with the last event being the Enshrinees Gameday Roundtable. It is pretty much an extended pre-game show with the new HOF'ers present that you can buy tickets to.

Here is a ticket to the event from one of my "scrapbooks."

Each table at the event had a 2005 HOF Enshrinees Gameday Roundtable Football, which was given as a prize to a guest at the table. I purchased this football from one of the winners last week. It comes with the very generic box it was given away in, and I will safely guess was made for the event.

• Options

<< <i>Are you bidding on any of his items? I might be looking for a few for my Young collection and don't want to bid against you. >>

PM sent....didn't see your question other day.
  • Options
    1986 BYU Superstars #2 Steve Young Card. (Hard to find.)

imageimage
  • Options
    Wire Photo showing Steve Young's first professional play (with the USFL's LA Express).

• Options
    Another photo from Young's first professional game...his first sack.

• Options
    Before his first pro game....as a backup with the Express.

• Options

There was a 1983 Kodack signed football on eBay this last week that ended up $20. The sigs. were completely faded and it just had block letters on the ball noting it as the 1983 Kodak All-American Team. Looked pretty basic....but I likely should have bidded.
  • Options
    Have not added to this in a while, but I got these yesterday so thought I would share.

Some seller had like 20 new pairs of Steve Young 'Bodyslide Pants', like athletic spandex.

• Options
    Photo File image licensed by the HOF and the NFL, signed by Steve, and certified by Steve and PSA/DNA.

• Options
    LJB17LJB17 Posts: 252 ✭✭
    That is a great collection. I grew up 2 blocks from Niner Training camp in Redwood City and have always followed them closely. Everyone still says Montana is the best, but Young was my favorite offensive player. Lott was my favorite overall.

Thank you for sharing,
    Luke
    Looking for 77 cloth 9s and 10s.
    54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
  • Options
    Steve Young Auto #40...counted them this weekend. Working MNF for the last few years I imagine Young has signed every NFL hat now.

imageimage
  • Options

imageimage
  • Options
    Not sure why one has a different back....maybe one is a proof and the proofs were different? (One appears to have been a polished slug, or proof coin.) Both are fairly low numbered. The last 5,000 coins in the setial numbering were put in 49ers 3-coin sets....I think.

One box has an NFL hologram so I took a photo of it.

• Options
    Some Steve Young 1983 Wire Photos. I posted another earlier in this thread.

• Options
    Young signed with the USFL with the Los Angeles Express for a record 40 million dollar contract (for 40 years). Ty Detmer would sign an NFL record contract with $12,080,000 (5 yrs)...five years later, and the second highest sport contract in 1984 was Magic Johnson (also Los Angeles) at $25 million (25 years).

• Options
    The Chicago Sun Times, which many of my AP wire photos come from, I guess (?) did not like either of the released photos and decided to edit an earlier photo....see above.

• Options
    Another photo from signing day. This one is out of the book "Steve Young Staying in the Pocket." The better photo I have seen from pro day 1. This one shows Young with his agent Leigh Steinburg.

In one of the Young books it talks about this event. Noting that reporters liked press conferences put on by Bill Oldenburg (LA Express owner) because he would always provide an open bar. I blame that for the terrible photographs above.