Home Sports Talk
Options

My rule change for football

The extra point after touchdowns, is a waste of time. Especially in the pros. I suggest a team has two options after scoring a touchdown. For 1 point, score from the 1 yard line. For 2 points score from the 3 yard line.

Comments

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I can't think of a scenario would a team go for 1 under your rule change, except on a last quarter TD when the game was tied. There's nothing wrong with the PAT, just leave well enough alone.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    this wouldnt waste even more time. not to mention that most teams only have a few plays that they like to run from inside the 5.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Greencrow you are a genius!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just skip kicking the extra point and award 7 for a touchdown. If team wants a bonus point let them risk the automatic point and if they make it get 2 points if they don't make it TD is worth 6.

How many PAT's were missed out of the last 1000?
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were five missed all last season, out of roughly a thousand.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    It's interesting that some people claim a PAT is more dangerous than going for a 2-point conversion. I would assume the opposite but those pushing for additional player safety haven't been very consistent.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why not just skip kicking the extra point and award 7 for a touchdown. If team wants a bonus point let them risk the automatic point and if they make it get 2 points if they don't make it TD is worth 6.

How many PAT's were missed out of the last 1000? >>

Not so much missed, but blocked. I do remember a few key ones over the years.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why not just skip kicking the extra point and award 7 for a touchdown. If team wants a bonus point let them risk the automatic point and if they make it get 2 points if they don't make it TD is worth 6.

How many PAT's were missed out of the last 1000? >>

Not so much missed, but blocked. I do remember a few key ones over the years. >>

The one that NO missed after that last second lateral TD play comes to mind..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Who cares if it's a waste of a few moments? There's no reason to remove it. You start saying "2 points for this, or 3 for that from this point" it becomes backyard football rules with all these wacky stipulations
  • Options

<< <i>It's interesting that some people claim a PAT is more dangerous than going for a 2-point conversion. >>

Who claims that?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    it would be infinitely more exciting if they released a boa constrictor onto the field right before the PAT attempt. of course, some of the Richard Sherman types would get distracted and try to eat it. and then what happens if the darn snake learns how to do the Lambeau Leap? image
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    My rules changes would be:

1 - widen the field by 4 yards, all stadiums could accommodate that change.
    2 - 300 lb weight limit for all players, make the sport about execution, speed, and tackling. Not about girth.
    3 - make all FG's over 55 yards worth 4 points.
    4 - eliminate the QB slide rule. If you run with the ball, you can and should get drilled.
    5 - have a booth review on all fumbles regardless where they occur.
    6 - no fair catches, you have to either field the ball and possibly get popped or let it go.
    7 - fire all the NFL network nimrods