Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

I need help with my foreign coins

Hello. I am near Philadelphia, PA. I have about 1000 circulated foreign coins from 1920 to 1977. I have no idea of value or how to sort these. If anyone can help me, please do. Thanks - Shawn
I had POSITIVE transactions with the following 31 members == Mach19 - Robkool - KollectorKing - ASUtodd - Coppercoins - Kalshacon - Whatsup - Commoncents05 - Cartwheel - Marmac - Thatoneguy - Collectorcoins - Delistamps - Bestmr - Cwazzy - Ajia - Nefprollc - Grote15 - Rampage - Grip - Rpmhunter - Chumley - 2272DavidG - Utahcoin - Cohodk - Ajbauman - Sportsmoderator1 - Sevensteps - Windycity - Pitboss - Starfish

Comments

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Your best bet is to obtain the most recent available copy you can find (large libraries are best) of the "Standard Catalog of World Coins" by Chester L. Krause & Clifford Mischler, commonly called simply "Krause" on this forum. It is a nearly comprehensive catalog, well photographed, with coinage broken down by centuries (in different volumes) and by country of origin (within each volume). You will need to figure out how to identify coins by country if it's not evident on the coin -- that takes experience, or submitting a photo online here so we can help -- and you will need to get a sense of how to grade a coin. Grading/condition greatly affect the value of a coin. Krause also provides metals information for coins, so you can figure out whether a coin has silver content there as well. Circulated coins from that era tend to be low/no value coins, BUT there can be "keepers" in any bulk lot. If you find the process of sorting through a lot of coins to be pleasant, you may find that the thrill is in the chase and not the capture. Good luck!
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    In addition to Bailathacl's great advice, you should be able to find a copy of the "Standard Catalog of World Coins" at your local library. Depending on the denomination, some of the those coins could be silver. Krause will also list the metal makeup of the coin. Good luck and happy hunting!