Home Sports Talk
Options

Retired Numbers and 'Roids

I was thinking of this because of the recent threads on Glavine's # being retired by the Braves, the Thome thread, and Clemens' recent indictment. It seems fairly clearcut that voters will not vote into the HOF players who used steroids. However, how about retiring numbers? Do you think any team would retire the number of a player who did PEDs? One player I'm thinking specifically about is ARod, and especially if he broke the HR record as a Yankee. Would the Yankees actually consider retiring his number? I'm assuming Bonds won't be retired by SF, and McGwire by St Louis or Oakland.

Comments

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that St. Louis will retire McGuire's number. They did bring him back as a coach so why not retire his jersey as well.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I also think that the only two jersey's that the Yankees will retire in the near future will be Jeter's #2 and Mariano Rivera's #42 (It is retired already for Jackie Robinson)
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i> I'm assuming Bonds won't be retired by SF >>

SF has only retired numbers of players inducted into the Hall of Fame.

They do have a "Wall of Fame" with a bunch of former Giants. Bonds isn't on it yet. They say that they're waiting for him to formally retire.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked at the list of retired numbers on wikipedia, and Jeff Bagwell's #5 and Luis Gonzalez' #20 have been retired by the Astros and Diamondbacks respectively. They haven't been proven to have used PEDs, but the suspicion is there.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I'm assuming Bonds won't be retired by SF >>

SF has only retired numbers of players inducted into the Hall of Fame.

They do have a "Wall of Fame" with a bunch of former Giants. Bonds isn't on it yet. They say that they're waiting for him to formally retire. >>

Maybe Pittsburgh will retire his number. lol
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just looked at the list of retired numbers on wikipedia, and Jeff Bagwell's #5 and Luis Gonzalez' #20 have been retired by the Astros and Diamondbacks respectively. They haven't been proven to have used PEDs, but the suspicion is there.

Steve >>

Anybody who says those two DIDN'T use roids is crazy.

Tabe