Home Precious Metals
Options

Iran, Israel, the US and gold

So...we either bomb them before they get the bomb or they might bomb someone after they get the bomb...

seems like both outcomes are no win situations....image

what will either of these actions do to gold prices? oil?

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
Groucho Marx

Comments

• Options
    I have been watching this also and it seems to me the chances for military strikes on Iran have increased considerably by either Israel or the US. Iran has threatened to disrupt shipping in the region if that happens, which if I remember right includes about 40% of oil supply. I would expect gold and oil prices to rise. I also think a conflict could easily spread to Lebanon, Syria, and possibly further. It would not be a good situation. Somehow I just don't see Israel doing nothing if they are convinced a nuclear armed Iran is imminent.
    Bob

• Options
    I may be in the minority here, but I don't think anything comes of this from the US or Isreal.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Nah. If America was going to do something, they would have a long time ago. Now is just posturing, or the lack thereof, and Iran knows that.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's gonna happen, Israel has been prepping for the last year and the US has been providing them with the hardware. My prediction is that it will involve small nuc weapons and it will temporarily seal off the oil shipping route from the middle east. Oil will skyrocket and gold will follow.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    what about the dollar?

Groucho Marx
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what about the dollar? >>

It would spike up in that event. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The Persians are past masters of negotiation and mind games.

They will bluff the world, until it is too late to act.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I think Israel will call their bluff and conduct strikes on their own. The US will come in afterwards due to threats to "shipping and stability" in the region.
    Bob

• Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    N.B. the big sudden fury to get the Palestinians and the Israelis face to face together for negotiations. Hasn't happened at this level of officialdom since Clinton's pre-intifada effort.

I'm sure all this is happening with the hope that the Middle East can clear the decks to confront Iran without distractions. It's an unbelievably long shot, but it explains the timing.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    The banksters have caused and funded virtually every single war on earth in the past 200 years or more, so why do we think this situation is any different? Why can't we start thinking past our blinders and come up with reasonable solutions? How many wars do we need? How long is our republic going to last (assuming it still survives at all...) if we keep getting involved in intractable, endless wars?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see that the Iranians have unveiled a new unmanned bomber. Sounds like a modern V-1. Betcha it'll reach Israel.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I see that the Iranians have unveiled a new unmanned bomber. Sounds like a modern V-1. Betcha it'll reach Israel. >>

If Iran attacks Israel, don't be surprised if they turn Tehran into a radioactive parking lot.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    The Reuters article I saw on this quotes Ahmadinejad saying "If there is an ignorant person or an egotist or a tyrant who just wanted to make an aggression then our Defense Ministry should reach a point where it could cut off the hand of the aggressor before it decided to make an aggression." He did follow that up saying in part that "We don't want to attack anywhere, Iran will never decide to attack anywhere....." In a separate Reuters article, Israel was quoted as saying the new Iranian nuclear power plant is "totally unacceptable." Again, just my opinion, but it seems the rhetoric and actions in that area are steadily moving towards a military conflict.
    Bob

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    The cats who are pro-Islam are in charge now. They'll do nothing.
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    I see that the Iranians have unveiled a new unmanned bomber. Sounds like a modern V-1. Betcha it'll reach Israel.

But since we own the skies over Iraq, Kuwait, and the Persian Gulf, how would it get there?
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it doen't have range to hit Israel. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "I'm pretty sure it doen't have range to hit Israel. MJ"

Nice to see them mastering 1944 technology.

• Options

<< <i>"I'm pretty sure it doen't have range to hit Israel. MJ"

Nice to see them mastering 1944 technology. >>

It is rather cute looking. It's 4 meters long. MJ
  • Options
    From a BBC News article: "....a range of 1,000km (620 miles) and could carry two 250-pound (115kg) bombs, or a precision bomb of 500 pounds."
    Bob

• Options

<< <i>From a BBC News article: "....a range of 1,000km (620 miles) and could carry two 250-pound (115kg) bombs, or a precision bomb of 500 pounds." >>

So not even close to being able to reach Israel. MJ
  • Options
    The purpose of this missile is to disrupt the oil shipping through the Gulf of Hormuz which would double the price of oil overnight.

• Options

<< <i>The purpose of this missile is to disrupt the oil shipping through the Gulf of Hormuz which would double the price of oil overnight. >>

I agree with you Perry. Iran has threatened to do just that in the event of war and also launched 5 (if I remember right) new small submarines a couple of weeks ago. A lot of damage can still be done even without the most high-tech weapons. This missile was referred to as a prototype though which would seem to indicate it is not an operational weapon yet. That raises the question of why Iran chose to announce it at all, or make the statements they did about making preemptive strikes against others.
    Bob

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The purpose of this missile is to disrupt the oil shipping through the Gulf of Hormuz which would double the price of oil overnight. >>

I agree with you Perry. Iran has threatened to do just that in the event of war and also launched 5 (if I remember right) new small submarines a couple of weeks ago. A lot of damage can still be done even without the most high-tech weapons. This missile was referred to as a prototype though which would seem to indicate it is not an operational weapon yet. That raises the question of why Iran chose to announce it at all, or make the statements they did about making preemptive strikes against others. >>

The Iranians also displayed some newly launched torpedo carrying speed boats which are quite capable of sinking oil tankers. They are attempting to hold the economies of the industrialized world hostage.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree with you Perry. Iran has threatened to do just that in the event of war and also launched 5 (if I remember right) new small submarines a couple of weeks ago. A lot of damage can still be done even without the most high-tech weapons. This missile was referred to as a prototype though which would seem to indicate it is not an operational weapon yet. That raises the question of why Iran chose to announce it at all, or make the statements they did about making preemptive strikes against others. >>

The Iranians also displayed some newly launched torpedo carrying speed boats which are quite capable of sinking oil tankers. They are attempting to hold the economies of the industrialized world hostage. >>

They are? Iran has been suffering crushing economic sanctions and THEY are attempting to hold the economies of the world hostage?

Amazing
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The Iranians also displayed some newly launched torpedo carrying speed boats which are quite capable of sinking oil tankers. They are attempting to hold the economies of the industrialized world hostage. >>

They are? Iran has been suffering crushing economic sanctions and THEY are attempting to hold the economies of the world hostage?

Amazing >>

The news reported that if Iran sunk a couple of oil tankers as they went through the Straight of Hormuz, it would disrupt oil deliveries causing the price of oil to more than double resulting in a disruption in the industrialized worlds economies. I'll leave it up to others to decide if this is a real concern or an exageration.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I really try to stay out of these intelligent discussions image
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Persians are past masters of negotiation and mind games.

They will bluff the world, until it is too late to act. >>

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    I've long accepted that serious stuff (nukes) is going to happen in that part of the world, it's just a matter of when.image the ramificaions are anybodys guess.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Pakistan has nukes ...

Groucho Marx