Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Q's about selling a set (whole or part)

Hi,

I've read the registry rules and take it that I cannot stick a "for sale" sign on the set. However, is it legit to contact people there and let them know that your sets(s) are up for grabs? I have several 1/0 VAMs (and a 0/1/0 and quite a few X/0) in my Morgan Superset, so I would think (hope?) some people "ahead" (or "behind" of me might be interested. I actually collected toned coins, hence most of my coins are registry-mundane (i.e., lower grade). Similar w/ my nickels->halves. I would think sending those to Heritage or so would be better rather than serial-annoying people. I simply have no time for it anymore (my 2 year old is more fun than coins, rest gets taken by work, wife or sleep.

Would one sell it in US BST or here?

Anyone gone through this? Any insights? Hints?

Thanks!
Coinborg: Your distinctive coins will be added to my collection.
BS&T image : kryptonitecomics, PCcoins (2x), Spoon (7x), Coppercolor, Preussen (2x), Filamcoins, agentjim007, CB2597, DCW, 1960NYGiants
Ebay: + <waitin'> NEG: Chameleoncoins
NonBST/Ebay: image Rick's Coins
WTB: Toners, BU Darkside, Sovs & 20 Mark, LMU/SMU Gold.

Comments

• Options
    Post it in the BST
  • Options
    Reply to this thread with the set names you want to sell, maybe someone here will contact you. Make a list with prices wanted and list them on the B/S/T. Both those venues would save you fees.

People like me and others can list coins for you on eBay. Heritage and TT are also places to sell coins.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    If there are a few certain posters who you know will be interested i see no harm. I have been contacted by a couple members with Wiener medals and seated dollars. The worst that can happen is they say no.

However, personally I think it would be better to just post the BST thread, people who are interested will probably see it.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been contacted through the Registry a few times when other collectors were selling coins that would improve my sets. Not sure of the official rules on doing so, but I was happy to get the information and happy to get a first shot at the coins, even bought a couple that way.

Like I said, I don't know the official policy on it, but if it's only a couple of people and those people are allowing email contact through the Registry, might be worth sending a couple of emails to those most likely to be interested?? I know I would appreciate the email, especially since you're talking about some one of a kind pieces that I probably wouldn't be able to find elsewhere.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Yep, I was contacted by several people with buy offers in the past. Some a bit too shady or cheap, so I took my e-mail off the registry. That is the underlying problem: my experience with direct e-mail on the registry was "instant no credibility". Wish I could put the coins on a webpage, but my little point 'n shoot has the Teletrade filter (it maps any color to a shade of brown). Leaves Heritage or GB/Stacks. Not sure though if people with a real interest in them "shop" there.. or if one can get the right "advertisement" out of them (e.g., that a VAM has been a lonely 67 with no 66 for over 3 years now with total MS67 pop of 26 or 27, or that it came out of major collection). Selling seems a LOT harder than buying image Lots of homework to do.. or let, say, Heritage do it for me. I'm leaning towards contacting the top 10/15 registry guys/gals, see what gives... then put the set in B/S/T. Sell the toned stuff on H or send it all to GB.
    BS&T image : kryptonitecomics, PCcoins (2x), Spoon (7x), Coppercolor, Preussen (2x), Filamcoins, agentjim007, CB2597, DCW, 1960NYGiants
  • Options
    BST is the most straightforward.

Unless other people know you you might not get a very receptive response from direct registry contact (not that I haven't done it numerous times - to many other's apparent delight at the offer).
  • Options
    Humm.. not sure. Just thinking about it and it occurred to me that I bought Hitlist40 coins before PCGS started to attribute them and it looks like I have several (5+) high ranking coins (x/0). Gargh. Bad news in the guise of good news, because I really do not want to invest more money. Looks like I quit paying attention to my Morgan collection in mid-stride. Are there professional VAM (re)sellers? Michael Fey?