Home Sports Talk
Options

Roger Clemens back in the news - and its not good

The New York Times is reporting that Roger Clemens will be indicted in the near future for perjury on charges
of lying to Congress on his use of performance enhancing drugs. Clemen's lawyer says he doesn't know anything
about it.

Comments

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will be is now indicted... 19 page indictment charges The Rocket with 3 counts of making false statements and 2 counts of perjury in connection with his 2008 testimony before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

Not a good thing Roger, not at all. Oh yeah, innocent until proven guilty.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Hmm, who will get the heaviest punishment: Bonds or Clemens?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    He could have just told the truth and it all would have gone away.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Garabaldi...

CORRECTOMUNDO!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Hmm, who will get the heaviest punishment: Bonds or Clemens? >>

I don't know, but I know a very famous man from Arkansas lied under oath a few times with no punishment, so
    Clemens does have a chance to walk away clean from this. Also, don't they have to prove he lied ? I wonder what
    evidence they have. I'm sure Roger is thinking the same thing. But even if they find him guilty, we must remember that
    the guy now living in Harlem had no punishment, so we'll see what happens here. Don't really care either way though.
    Politicians lie to us, and they all twist stories to make themselves look good and their opponents look bad.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pot is calling the kettle black.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    pmcollector, i thought he was from Texas? oh... nevermind.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Somebody soon has to pay the price if they lie to Congress, otherwise what is the point of having Congressional hearings? If Clemens walks, it just goes to show (for a second time, as alluded to by pmcollector) that you can lie to Congress with no repurcussions. It all turns into a big joke.

Personally, I hope he spends a year or two in the clink, if for no other reason than to restore some confidence in our country's legal system.
  • Options

<< <i>Somebody soon has to pay the price if they lie to Congress, otherwise what is the point of having Congressional hearings? If Clemens walks, it just goes to show (for a second time, as alluded to by pmcollector) that you can lie to Congress with no repurcussions. It all turns into a big joke.

. >>

And that was the point I was trying to make jdip. When Clemens was questioned by Congress, he was given softbals by one side of the aisle, and hard questions from the other side. When the guy from Arkansas testified, he was given softballs from one side of the aisle, and hard questions from the other. The guy from Arkansas was proven to have lied, and nothing happened. Even if
    Clemens is proven to have lied, I doubt that anything will happen to him. I'm sure some backroom deal will be met to avoid that, just like I'm sure some backroom deal was reached in the other scenario. It's all a game, and there doesn't seem to be any
    Judge Landis anymore in America.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Clemens will walk without a doubt. No solid evidence. No positive drug tests. McNamee is the big witness..... the defense will rip him to shreds. McNamee has a beer can and a dirty cotton ball and that's the smoking gun. Folks, indictments happen everyday. This is a waste of time.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Somebody soon has to pay the price if they lie to Congress, otherwise what is the point of having Congressional hearings? If Clemens walks, it just goes to show (for a second time, as alluded to by pmcollector) that you can lie to Congress with no repurcussions. It all turns into a big joke.

. >>

And that was the point I was trying to make jdip. When Clemens was questioned by Congress, he was given softbals by one side of the aisle, and hard questions from the other side. When the guy from Arkansas testified, he was given softballs from one side of the aisle, and hard questions from the other. The guy from Arkansas was proven to have lied, and nothing happened. Even if
    Clemens is proven to have lied, I doubt that anything will happen to him. I'm sure some backroom deal will be met to avoid that, just like I'm sure some backroom deal was reached in the other scenario. It's all a game, and there doesn't seem to be any
    Judge Landis anymore in America. >>

Did you watch these? Both sides gave both players baseballs to sign. Both sides acted like they were heroes and a few on both sides had hard questions. Seemed like a pony show to me, but not sure how anyone can see this party loved him and this party grilled him.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Copy of the indictment.

He Will Walk

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.