Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Official George C Miller Collectors Thread....New Scans added!!!!

This is the official collectors thread for the 1933 George C Miller baseball set. This is going to be a long and expensive project, but it will be a fun challenge. Here are the cards that I have so far. All 4 of these were picked up at the National in Baltimore.

Comments

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I've been looking for Terry and Warneke for a couple of years, those look great!
    Are you only going after uncancelled ones? I think only a couple of examples of Andrews exist uncancelled, and to the best of my knowledge neither has surfaced in the last 10 years.
    I'm about 2/3 of the way thru the set but taking whatever I can find, cancelled or uncancelled. Got some of the tough ones out of the way first but have bogged down since then.

imageimage
    imageimage

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Anthony:

Is the Ivy Andrews with the diamond punch hole cancellation worth more than the one that is cut at the bottom because there is more of the card present? Or is that a silly question by a silly collector?

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I am only going for the uncancelled ones. I prob won't mess with the Andrews card.
    I think the punched ones have a lot more eye appeal than the cut cancelled ones. I'd certainly be willing to pay more.

Are you sitting on an Andrews that has been punch cancelled Marc?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you sitting on an Andrews that has been punch cancelled Marc? >>

No, Anthony, not my style :-) You [generally] know most of the items in my collection. If anything, I've been paring down a lot over the past two years, more along the lines of the 25 Card theme -- but not so extreme. But most of my purchases are Phillies related in nature...! I was just curious from a learning perspective how the hobby treated Andrews cards in general.

Doesn't it seem a bit surprising that so many Andrews cards are cancelled? Clearly it was short-printed, but I'm surprised that the vast majority of existing samples seem to have been part of complete sets that were redeemed for the prize and then returned cancelled to the collector. Oh well, I digress-

Great cards Mr. Vintage -- always thought that this was a beautiful set!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    My newest pickups for this classic set!!! I am really trying to put a dent in this tough set!!!

A few new pickups for my set

• Nice. Keep 'em coming.
    My newest pickup......Goose Goslin

I just picked up 6 more cards for my set over on the Net 54 boards. I picked up an Al Simmons PSA 3, Lefty O'doul PSA 2(mk), Lloyd Waner PSA 1, Ray Hayworth PSA 1, Chick Hafey PSA 1, and Carl Reynolds PSA 1. I now currently have 17 george c miller cards(16 different). I will post scans as soon as I recieve the cards. My goal is to finish this set by the end of the National Convention in Chicago later this summer. This has been by far the toughest and most fun set I have ever worked on.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, congrats...image

Definitely a toughie to put together. I don't have an example of one, but hope to pick one up at some point.

Good luck with the rest of the set...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
    Just picked up a couple off of ebay- Stripp is an upgrade for me, and Warneke that I thought I had but didn't. Puts me at 25 different, 7 of them cut cancelled,including Andrews.
    Mr Vintage it looks like you and I have to split a large lot so we can both get this one finished!

• Anyone snag any of the cards in the last Goodwin auction? I see he had 11 of them offered. That's the biggest group I've seen in a while.

Tried this set decades ago (Before the internet! Remember Teletrade?) And I eventually gave up. Good luck all!

The Stripp and Warneke that you picked up were steals at those prices...nice job. I thought about bidding on them even though I didn't need them just because they were such great deals!!! Glad that you got them Griffins!!!! Let the chase continue!!!!!
    My newest additions.....

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the story behind this set? Anyone have a link?
    John-
    Here's a link with basic info
    GCM

The cards were issued with a redemption offer, and a deliberately short printed card (Ivy Andrews). Cancelled cards were either punch cancelled or cut cancelled.
    imageimage

Overall the cards are fairly scarce for a common issue- more so than Delongs or US Caramels. Uncancelled cards are considerably scarcer and more expensive than punch cancelled, which are more desireable than cut cancelled. It has been written that there are no more than 2 or 3 uncancelled versions of Andrews in existence, and none have been sold publicly in the last 10-15 years. A cancelled version generally runs in the $1k range.

There are 2 different printings of GCMs, distinguished by both the richness of the color on the front, and the spelling on the back. Type I's are brighter and have "Fox" listed on the back, the later printing of Type II's are duller and have the correct spelling of "Foxx" on the reverse. The few people that have a preference much prefer Type I's, myself included.
    The full Cronin below is Type I, the cut cancelled Cronin is Type II.
    imageimage

Mr. Vintage- great pickups! How many does that make? You've got to be close.
    The 2 I picked up on ebay were ok prices, not steals IMO. Pretty consistent with what I've been finding them for.

I have 17(16 different) so I am about halfway finished with the set. I thought that you did great on the ebay pickups griffins(especially the warneke 3.5)