Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Who hates Heritage's auction policy?

Alright people, just let me vent here.

I was awaiting the end of an auction last night when I
noticed a link on Heritage's page that talked about "sniper defense".

It seems that the auction doesn't end until no one bids for 10
minutes. I put in my bid a little earlier than I usually would have
because the timer on the auction page was screwy (it kept
incrementing instead of decrementing every now and then).
Finally the auction "ended" and I was high bidder with about a 30
to 40% cushion.

No problem I thought. Someone may bid once or twice more but
my high bid is clearly out of their ballpark. Now first off, everytime
someone bid the "minutes left" went up to 10min XXseconds
and the auction was extended more than 10 minutes everytime.
Secondly it seemed that there was no end to the number of
times that the clock to could be reset. Also did someone bidding
reset the counter for themselves. Reseting the counter is
supposed to give the person who is already high bidder a chance
to react. It's not supposed to give the challenger more time
to decide what he wants to do.

Where does it end? Can he keep upping the bid every 9.9
minutes until I fall asleep?

Does this person have absolutely no idea what the price range
of the coin is and is just upping it to find what my research tells
me it is worth?

I just don't think it is right for someone to be nowhere close
to the final selling price when the auction "ends" and then to
just up it slowly, slowly, slowly until he finds what you put
in for a high bid 40 minutes earlier (and 30 minutes after the
auction should have ended).

I just think there needs to be some sort of limit. If you're not
within 40% of my high bid when the auction ends you don't
get 10 minutes to try to "find" my bid. Or at least limit it to
10 or 15 minutes total (put a max on the number of times it
can be extended).

I just see this as a hook for Heritage to make more money by
getting people to bid due to "auction frenzy".
Maybe there are just people who like sniping and people who
like this and it's a personal preference but last night was just
infuriating.

Opinions?
-Keith H

Comments

• Options
    Keith H,

To heck with that. I'm still mad about the 15% on the weekly internet auctions. I used to win a couple of lots at least once a month. Now I can't afford to do that anymore and factoring the fee into the bid usually won't get me the win. Can get the coins cheaper on E-Bay now.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    I think it sucks. I like to know when an auction ends. It just makes me not want to be bothered bidding in their auctions. I don't want to wait until all the other bidders finish bidding. It's a waste of my time.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, did you win and was it still a good deal? image

This reminds me of the time we auctioned off the #1 Firefighter coin (with a runoff since Steve bid in the last 5 minutes) here on the boards and Registrycoin was at his pub with all his friends around. As they drank libation after libation at the pub, I frankly believed Steve H. would have bid just about anything to win the coin at that point!! image

How's this for entertainment... Just bid at the end to get a runoff, put a pint of Jack Daniels in front of you and have some fun for the evening. Beats going out for the evening- NOT! image Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

I also stopped doing business with Heritage when they implemented the 15% fee on the weekly Internet auctions. Their reasoning was insulting and I'll also not pay a buyer's fee on any Internet auction. When I complained to them in writing, their response was "Our customers wanted uniformity throughout our different types of auctions..." - Show me one collector who asked to pay a buyer's fee! image

Always looking for:
    Irish Coins & Tokens - New Hampshire Tokens
    Morgan Dollars
    Coins & Tokens of Rhodesia, Suid Afrika, Namibia & Nyasaland
    IrishNumismatist

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Keith,
    Are you talking about the 76-P T2? I was one of the bidders after 10PM. My bid was 111, but I only bid once right after 10. I see it went on up to $185 before closing. The 76-S Silver MS68 also soared significantly after close, selling for $1,550!

I did pick up the AU58 1863 Indian cent, and a 76-D T2 MS66 Ike, at about $50 each.

I was not thrilled with the rule changes when I saw them, but I will operate within them to the best of my ability!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Sniper defense" is a euphamism for "Increased revenue". Anyway, they allow the extra bids for anyone who has already bid on the coin for up to 60 minutes. I don't like the system, however, I don't dislike it nearly as much as others seem to. After all, I may get the coin or someone else might, however, they can't make me increase what I am willing to pay.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I do not buy coins from Heritage anymore! For all the above reasons.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Mitch,

Yeah, I won and got a great deal and I'm still complaining. image

No, I lost. I put up an "outrageous" bid just to make sure I
    got the coin and I didn't get the coin. Since you've beaten it
    out of me,

Here!

When the auction should have ended it was at around $900
    including the juice.

I know what you're going to say. Don't say it. Don't do it Mitch.
    OK, I should have bought the last one from you. image

Well, they've made 3 or 4 of these in the last month. I'll just wait
    for one of the others to show up.

-Keith H
  • Options
    Guess that confirms that Ikes are still on fire. Wow, didn't think that I would see a price like that for a 76-S.

Keith D
    Keith ™

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keith: I feel your pain image

Do you think the bidding was intention, or just a fluke that a $900 final bid ended that way? Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Mitch,

I think it was a fluke.

It seems odd to me that someone so intent on buying the
    coin would let it get to that stage of the bidding with such
    a low bid. And then to bid it up during sudden death so
    slowly. (if I was going to follow this procedure, as soon as
    sudden death started I would bid as high as I was willing to go).
    It just "feels" like the guy got wrapped up in the frenzy.

Of course it only takes two determined people to bid up a
    coin (and I've been the underbidder in the last two 76-S
    auctions). Hopefully all the really determined people
    have their coin now image

-Keith H
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a different take in that I think this may have been some auction strategy. I have bid on and won a single coin from Heritage since they have gone to the new system and my strategy to keep the final price as low as possible was to bid low when the lot came out just so that I could be in the final hour of bidding after others have been shut out. Then, in the final hour, I put in the lowest bid possible on the lot after about 9min 30sec of inactivity just to make certain that I was either the high bidder or that the auction would continue another 10min and I would have that time to decide if I would bid again. I was willing to bump it up a single increment every 10min if needed. In this way, there are only six bidding "windows" if everyone waits the near 10min or so between bids and this keeps the price lower than if the bidding were done using smaller increments of time. Of course, if someone were to blow away the current bid with a huge bid then the price would necessarily go up. Anyway, I won the lot, perhaps for less money than if I were to have bid every 2min with large increments.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Sorry Keith, I didn't know about the Heritage policy before but it is one I wish all auctions had in place. The 10 minute time is way too long as it only takes a minute to see you are outbid but this is a great way to prevent sniping and have a real action price obtained. Maybe a 2 minute (or even 1) time period would be better but allowing a certain time after the last bid for all potential buyers to decide if they want to continue is the best auction policy I've seen yet.

But I still won't buy from them as I think the 15% fee is a real rip.
  • Options
    TomB,
    My strategy is to get a low bid in on all the coins I'm interested in when the auction opens. Then, at closing time, I'll place my real bid on anything still at a fair price.

My only wonder is should I hyperbid the price up immediately to prevent others from planting low ball bids?
  • Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Yea, I don't like it much, but have used it myself a couple of times. My stratagy is about like Brians. I just track the lots I want to see end til the last day, then bid on the ones I'm interested in just to get them in my bid part, then in the last 10 minutes or so bid my max and forget it (since I have to go to work thenimageimageimageimage) I also every time I bid put comments aobut their outrageous buyers fees in the comments section. I got a long email from Rogan(?) explaining the whole thing to me. I replied that it was still an unreasonable buys premium and it kept me from bidding and buying mroe than I do. He never replied back. It is hard to not like Heritage since there is so much good info there. At least they respond to emails. It's more than can be said for PCGSimageimage
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    What I don't understand is the complaints about the buyers fee. Can't you figure that into your calculation for final price? Do you all bid blindly on ebay with out figuring the p&h into the price? I'd rather deal with a Heritage with a well defined return policy than some of the "let me sell you a coin I don't actually have until the auction is over and I go get it wholesale" that are on ebay.
    I guess I've bought for years at Heritage, Bowers, and even Stacks auctions and realize the buyers fee is part of the equation.
    Regarding sniper defense; as a seller it's a godsend and prevents low ball sniping. As a buyer it makes sure you either bid strong or play the game at the end to get the coin you want. Either way don't spend more than you want to spend!
    Tom
  • Options
    Tom,

I understand that the Buyer's Fee is part of the equation, but as a Texas resident, I have to factor in the Sales Tax too. That gives me another 9% disadvantage unless I buy enough to go over $1,000. On my budget, that's not easy. Even worse is that has to be in a single transaction. $600 at a Bullet sale and $600 at a Signature sale cannot be combined for the threshold.

Most of the material that sells on the Internet auctions are pieces that were first offered on the website inventory at a price over current market. The Internet fee is a way to make that spread back.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    keithdagen, us California residents also feel the sales tax pain. For some reason Heritage now charges us the 8.25% sales tax. I guess they opened up an office here. It makes it that much harder to win a lot with one of their auctions.
  • Options
    I had the same sales tax thing with Teletrade. They now have an office here in California and the extra 7.75% removed them from my list of sellers.
  • Options
    manscomansco Posts: 229
    I don't like the buyer's fee, but it is competitive with the other auction houses. What is most bothersome though is when you pay promptly (on Wednesday morning) and they don't send out your coins for 4-5 days and you don't receive until 8-10 days later. When I first started dealing with Heritage they were very prompt with coin delivery and have gotten steadily worse.
  • Options
    ILikeIke,

The buyer's fee on a weekly "Internet Only" auction is an unnecessary profit-generating medium for Heritage. I don't understand why you mentioned postage and handling costs... Heritage charges P&H just as eBay sellers do so that's not an aspect of the equation.

I can certainly understand buyer's fees on grand format auctions, but not on weekly Internet auctions. It's an unnecessary fee for the effort extended on Heritage's part.

Always looking for:
    Irish Coins & Tokens - New Hampshire Tokens
    Morgan Dollars
    Coins & Tokens of Rhodesia, Suid Afrika, Namibia & Nyasaland
    IrishNumismatist

• Options
    I, and I expect everybody who sells at auction, and all the auction houses, and everybody who doesn't like getting sniped loves this policy.

What is sniping anyway? It is bidding at the last second. Why is it so great to bid at the last second? Because there could be somebody else willing to bid more than you but they don't get the time to bid. So if you snipe successfully either you were willing to pay the most for that item or you were faster than somebody else who was willing to pay more. In the first case there is no problem.

The auction is flawed if it doesn't determine the highest bidder. That is the point of having an auction. No bidder should be upset if somebody else is willing to pay more than they are.

This policy won't hurt me as a buyer. I was not very good at sniping anyway and never bothered with snipe software. So I just put in my high bid early. It would help me as a seller though so you all know where my bias lies image I hope eBay starts this policy (but 10 minutes is too long, 2 minutes sounds better to me.)

On the other hand the Bowers and Merena auction was too fast. All bidders were present but internet bidders often were willing to pay more but couldn't react quickly enough.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I don't do business with Heritage anymore either, not because of their new auction policies but for other reasons that are even worse about them IMO. It is also my opinion that most of Heritage's inventory represents the low-end dredge of the market that other dealers can't sell and then wholesale to Heritage to gey rid of it.

Here's a good one for you though. Last year at the Central States show in Indiana, I went to Heritage's lot pickup area to pick up and pay for 2 lots in person that I had won through internet bidding. I thought that by doing this I would save on the shipping fees. When some elderly lady handed me my invoice, I noticed that not only had they still added a shipping charge, but they also charged me Indiana sales tax even though I'm not from Indiana, what a ripoff. And not even to mention that the actual coins looked much worse in person then Heritage's internet pics.

Dragon
  • Options
    Yea, 15% has become the norm for buyers premiums, and if you don't think it is a ripoff for online auctions, it's the same for live auctions where they hire an auctioneer, rent the Hotel/Motel space, spend who knows how much on food and beverages, use or hire additional people for the viewing, and have all the rest of the niceities required to make it a nice venue. What are their additional expenses on an internet auction????? I can't hardly believe the overhead on an internet auction is anywhwere near for a live venue somewhere. Totally unreasonable IMHO....but I pay it pretty much begrudginglyimage
    AKA kokimoki
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
  • Options
    Keithdagen,
    Re: Texas and California sales taxes or any state sales tax for that matter. I'm a modest coin purchaser, but if necessary I have an alternate, out of state, address (a relative) if necessary. Maybe something to think about, I've rarely had to use it though.

Re: Most inventory in Internet auctions being unsucessful website items. I think that is the exception rather than the rule. I and many others like their internet auctions to sell quickly $40 - 150 coins.

Mansco:
    Re: Shipping times. Every one has been slow shipping especially since 9/11. I believe the dealers on this board will testify to excruciatingtingly slow USPS shipping times. Not their fault.

Irish Numismatist: My last internet auction purchases were for 12 lots for a total s&h of $6.50. Try that on ebay. My point is the bidding fee is a part of the purchase, figure it in as you would s&h.

Carlwohlforth: As you I'm not a good sniper, as a seller amen to the extended bidding... It gives a better chance for the person who is willing to bid the highest to actually be the highest bid.

Dragon: Be careful with anybody buying ONSITE. The last onsit auction I participated in I paid onsite but allowed the items to be shipped (got them 2 days later) without taxes and minimal s&h. At least with their current return policy you could have turned down the coins if you didn't like them

My whole point is if Heritage has your coin, bid with the buyers fee in mind.

Tom
  • Options
    Ther last 2 Heritage auctions, I recieved the coins before the next tuesday auction. Not too bad I didn't think. They do however send about a half a dozen invoicesimage even when you pay online right after the auction ends. I wait til the next day now so they can get their online stuff ready.
    AKA kokimoki
  • Options
    This is my first post. Yesterday I received my winning coin from Heritage, a 1908 PCGS 65 red Indian. What a dog. It had a brown discoloration that looked like a big tumor coming off the Indian's head. Couldn't wait to send it back. The scan was real dark and now I know why. Really hid the stain from me. The idea that Heritage is a dumping ground came to my mind. Immediately responded to bids@heritagecoins.com to let then know about the return and still haven't received a response. I've bought better ACG red 65's on e-bay. Still gettings invoices from Heritage even though I paid immediately by credit card. Now I wonder if and when I'll get a credit.

Don't think I'll try Heritage again. Did better with the Kingswood auction at Bowers. Overpaid but the Indians I received were real nice.image
  • Options
    I rec'd a dog coin from Heritgae and returned it. When paying on my last auction, I asked if they had rec'd the coin back. They couldn't answer that moment, but promised to let me know. I received an e-mail the next day confirming they had it.

Last auction I won, they shipped before I contacted them to pay.

That out of state address got me thinking... then I remembered I'm moving to Mississippi soon!