Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

They've done it to us again. New Lincoln variety added....

Looks like someone found a 1930 d/d rpm 1 and asked to add it to the Complete Varieties Set. It was the 1930 d/d rpm 2 that was in the original cherrypickers guide and everyone was searching for. To date, no rpm 2's have been attributed by PCGS. So what's with the rpm 1??? south/west/east? He who had it added please let us know what
we are looking for. Shag

Comments

• Options
    1930-D RPM-001
    Description:
    D/D North

Grade:
    MS62

Rarity:
    Overall: URS-6
    Mint State: URS-2

Markers:

UVC-027
    DMR-002
    Stage A:
    Obverse and Reverse are EDS

Stage B:
    Obverse and Reverse are MDS

Stage C:
    Obverse is LDS

Die crack upper Right wheat to rim – LDS

Reported by:
    Unknown

FYI: CONECA still doesn't list it as a Cherrypicker. Has it actually been deemed so?
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Cherrypicker's guide (fourth edition, volume 1) shows the rpm 2 to be a d/d north. FS-13.7? Both are d/d north?? Shag
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    As a Lincoln cent collector I have always strived for completeness in my collection. But I realized many years ago that there are LITERLY hundreds of varieties out there and it would be not only impossible, but financially stupid to try and collect them all. So I decided to determine IN MY OWN MIND what I consider to be a complete set of Lincoln business strike and proof cents. The PCGS definition of basic set + major varieties comes close to my definition, but even that has a number of examples that I believe are uncollectible and therefore I don't seek. (ie) 1958 DD. I believe there has to be a goal for a collection of coins. That goal is COMPLETION. By PCGS just adding more and more varieties to the set registry destroys the desire to complete a set IMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is amusing is that there are still more dramatic varieties that are not in the registry simply because the Cherrypicker's Guide (which is NOT all inclusive) continues to overlook them.
    I dont really have a problem with PCGS adding new varieties. I guess it burns me more when they take one out.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    CPG 5th Edition has 1930-D FS-501 listed with no picture. It appears the only example graded by PCGS is VF30 so far.

Edited to add...info below is accredited to Coppercoins.com

1930D-1MM-001
    | D/D NORTH
    CONECA: RPM-001 Crawford: unknown
    Wexler: WRPM-001 FS#: unlisted
    A lightly punched horizontal line shows to the north on this variety.

1930D-1MM-002
    | D/D NORTH
    CONECA: RPM-002 Crawford: unknown
    Wexler: WRPM-002 FS#: 1c-013.7
    This variety shows a rather light and weak extra upper serif to the north of the upper serif on the primary mintmark
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Mike. How did you find the coin # to search the pops on this one? Shag
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it was NOT me. I have that VF 30 of which is listed in the pop report but I bought and had it graded in July of last year! So no doubt someone has one either at the graders or waiting the 24 hours before it becomes listed.
    Here is the pic. An example can also be found in the old RPM book by Wexler and Miller. This is just another example of how a coin can be delisted or added with no input, advanced notice, etc.
    WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wasn't me.

418117 BN
    418118 RB
    418119 RD
    Doug
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    Shag...In "edit your set" if you do a "WHAT IF" you can find the pop of any coin or variety that are graded.

• Options

<< <i>Shag...In "edit your set" if you do a "WHAT IF" you can find the pop of any coin or variety that are graded. >>

Thanks for reminding me Mike. I have used that feature in the past. I guess we'll have to watch the pop reports
    for an added example. Thanks for the pic Bob. Are you still in SC? Shag
  • Options
    I was in Cape Hatteras surfing till Tuesday of this week. (another reason why it was not me LoL) But I am back in SC until December 15th when I retire and move to California.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to know the procedure for doing this. I have lots of dime varieties I would love to have added to the variety sets.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typically, whatever is in the CPG is what they will put in the complete Registry Set, but occasionally, their expert for the series will decide that something not in the CPG is worthy of its own listing in the PCGS set, or that something is just too minor to be included. I have presented questions/issues to BJ and David Hall, but have not had the opportunity to ask Don Willis anything.
    Doug
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would like to know the procedure for doing this. I have lots of dime varieties I would love to have added to the variety sets. >>

All I can figure out is it must be who you know, not what you know or find. The rules seem to change everyday.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would like to know the procedure for doing this. I have lots of dime varieties I would love to have added to the variety sets. >>

All I can figure out is it must be who you know, not what you know or find. The rules seem to change everyday. >>

That's not good.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>[
    That's not good. >>

Welcome to the monkey house.
  • Options
    I still find it amazing that PCGS does not see this as a customer service problem...

WS