Home Sports Talk
Options

Tim Tebow

Anyone have any opinions about his chances this year ? Will he play ? Did anyone catch his preseason game the other night ?
His numbers looked decent. I think he's good for the game. Very positive, good sportsmanship, high intensity. Kind of like
Emmitt Smith who also came from UF.

Comments

• Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    and like Danny Wuerful who came from UF
  • Options
    He looked good, threw a long bomb that his receiver dropped - was a perfect throw hit him right in the helmet. Give him time, and he'll turn even his worst critics into believers.

And yes Walt, we still have love for ol' #7 here in Gainesville image
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like his attitude.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    I think he's a tad over-rate, and VERY over hyped! I hope the best for him, and I'm trying to become a Broncos fan.

He did well for his first outting... allbeit, in the 4th quarter of the first pre-season game of the year against what was likely the 3rd-string defense.
    GRANTED, 3rd-stringers are FAR more hungry than most 1st and 2nd-string guys!

Tebow WILL (should) play in 2010... but it will likely be in the form of gadget plays, or attempts at trickery. Brady Quinn looked AWFUL... he looks to be JaMarcus Russell's Euchere partner shortly talking about 'the good ol' days.'

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did not see the Broncos-Bengals game this last weekend but read about it in the local paper.

The Broncos are already having bad luck with injuries early in training camp. I do not expect the Broncos to make any noise this year or make the playoffs. If they do, well I will be pleasantly surprised. If they do not, I will not be disappointed.

Regarding Tebow, I wish him the best and would like to see him succeed at the pro level, if for nor other reason than to see his critics get egg in their faces (particularly those who criticize him because they do not like his religious faith). If he is sincere about his faith (and wants to speak about same to others) and does not want to use his faith and athletic success to merely draw attention to himself to himself [like certain TV preachers] then more power to him. No one should be afraid of talking about one's religious beliefs.

If, on the other hand, he wraps himself in his faith and speaks about it for solely for his own personal glory, then he is a fraud.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If he is sincere about his faith (and wants to speak about same to others) and does not want to use his faith and athletic success to merely draw attention to himself to himself [like certain TV preachers] then more power to him. No one should be afraid of talking about one's religious beliefs.

If, on the other hand, he wraps himself in his faith and speaks about it for solely for his own personal glory, then he is a fraud. >>

I'm not an overly religious individual, though not agnostic. Guess it depends on the day and too many unanswered questions on both sides.

Having said that, I agree with the ^ post 100%.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If he is sincere about his faith (and wants to speak about same to others) and does not want to use his faith and athletic success to merely draw attention to himself to himself [like certain TV preachers] then more power to him. No one should be afraid of talking about one's religious beliefs.

If, on the other hand, he wraps himself in his faith and speaks about it for solely for his own personal glory, then he is a fraud. >>

I'm not an overly religious individual, though not agnostic. Guess it depends on the day and too many unanswered questions on both sides.

Having said that, I agree with the ^ post 100%. >>

I think he can succeed as a NFL pro, just not as a professional QB. I know many think he can (and will) end up being something like a FB or TE. Personally, he seems like a good guy and I doubt many can say too many bad things about the kid.

I hate labels, but I guess you could say that I'm an atheist. I just don't believe, but am completely in support of religion and the right for people to follow it. I don't care if people want to talk about it, but it can be nauseating when people try to cram it into every discussion.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and like Danny Wuerful who came from UF >>

Walt- You can't disrespect Wuerful. Despite his brief (and I mean brief) NFL career, the guy is a winner. Most people don't know that Wuerful started a charity for troubled teens in N.O. when he was with the Saints. He's since started a similar gig in Florida, which is where I believe he's moved back to. He spends most of his time traveling the southeast raising funds for his charity. And he's not one of these guys who just finances it, then sits at home all week and lets others run it. He's hand-on and actually spends MOST of his time working with these kids/families. Our church gave him a bus a few years ago. I don't know of a former pro athlete with more class than Wuerful. I'm also a UGA grad, so if I'm saying this about a UF grad, you know its true.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walt is an FSU fan...all these acts of charity and goodwill are foreign to him...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    Wuerffel can be compared to David Greene, both are pocket passers, verrrry accurate, but not very athletic. The key is that both played behind tremendous O-Lines and with great receivers, negating the need for athleticism, resulting in alot of school and SEC records. It was painful watching Danny with Saints... the look on Ditka's face said it all.

I don't see Tebow putting in much "meaningful" playing time w/ the Broncos, at least not with Orton healthy, who is a better QB. It would not suprise me to see Tebow and Orton on the field at the same time w/ Tebow as fullback threatening a run/pass option
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I don't see him as over hyped or over rated. He's not rated on any QB list I have seen this year, and most think he is too small for the NFL. One might say he was overhyped in college...but he was pretty dominating. The NCAA is not the NFL however.

I think he would be great, if used like the Eagles used Vick last year. Have him come in 3-4 times a game with the wildcat.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I just found this and it made me laugh..........

"At the Scouting Combine, the Wonderlic exam is administered to players in groups. The 12-minute test is preceded by some brief instructions and comments from the person administering the test.

Per a league source, after the person administering the test to Tebow’s group had finished, Tebow made a request that the players bow their heads in prayer before taking the 50-question exam.

Said one of the other players in response: ‘Shut the f–k up.’ Others players in the room then laughed."
  • Options
    That doesn't sound like something Tebow would do. He wears his religion on his sleeve, but doesn't put others in awkward situations like that. I'm going to discount that story.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options

<< <i>I don't see him as over hyped or over rated. He's not rated on any QB list I have seen this year, and most think he is too small for the NFL. One might say he was overhyped in college...but he was pretty dominating. The NCAA is not the NFL however.

I think he would be great, if used like the Eagles used Vick last year. Have him come in 3-4 times a game with the wildcat. >>

In college, Tebow was quicker than the SEC's DE's and could run around them when he needed to. He won't be able to do that in the NFL, so I don't see him being very successful in the wildcat. I hope he gets a legit shot to play QB. Even though he ran all the time at UF, I think his arm is underrated. We'll see.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In college, Tebow was quicker than the SEC's DE's and could run around them when he needed to. He won't be able to do that in the NFL, so I don't see him being very successful in the wildcat. I hope he gets a legit shot to play QB. Even though he ran all the time at UF, I think his arm is underrated. We'll see. >>

His arm is average - he threw a lot of ducks at UF. And his mechanics are poor. Improving - but poor. He drops the ball to his waist and that'll get you killed - or picked off - in the NFL.

To the guy who said "most think he is too small for the NFL" - he's 6'3" and 245 lbs. He's hardly too small. Tebow has lots of issues with being an NFL QB but size is NOT one of them.

Tabe
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

Guess Tebow got a little rookie hazing...

Tweeted by LenDale White, early this month, with the following note: Look at tebow new hair style lmao… Loks good ROOK!!!!!!!!
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Yesterday was our FF draft and took Tebow with my next to last pick. He's behind Brees, so figured it was worth a gamble.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watched a little of the game last night, Broncos v. Steelers.

Tebow played ok. He was interecepted and the defender ran it back for a TD, but Tebow also threw some very nices passes and moved the offense down the field failry well.

I did not realize he is 6'3" and 245 lbs. He looks to be very durable.

It will be interesting to see how he progresses in the NFL.
  • Options
    Yes, he is a good sized kid, but so was Vince Young coming out of college.

I was suprised to hear last night that Tim Tebow has the best selling NFL jersey in the entire league right now.
    That makes quite a statement for the young man. Seems like a lot of American football fans identify with his passion
    for football, teammates, and perhaps faith.
  • Options
    Has anyone caught his first two NFL games ? How did he do ?
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone caught his first two NFL games ? How did he do ? >>

He did very well. Threw for 308 yds against a horrible Texans defense in his second game.

Tabe
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot who, but some NFL talking head predicted that Tebow would surprise everyone and become a very good NFL QB. He seems to be on his way toward doing that.
  • Options
    For my fellow Tebow fans, there's a great documentary on his transition from college to pro on ESPN tonight at 7pm (eastern). Don't miss it, here's more info.